PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami in Northern California!

magistramarla
03-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Hi Everyone,
We were awakened by a reverse 911 call this morning telling us about the earthquake in Japan and warning us to not be on the beaches today. Jeff usually rides the beach bike path, so he decided to take a different route to school today.

I'm watching the news now. There have been a lot of boats tossed around by the waves in Santa Cruz, about 40 miles from here. Another coastal city, Crescent City, has reported some beach-front homes have been damaged and that most of their piers have significant damage. They just reported that the wave in Crescent City was higher than the waves in Hawaii early this morning.

It sounds like Japan had a very serious earthquake. Ironically, I was out eating sushi at a Japanese restaurant last night. I've traveled in Japan, and love the culture. I hope that they recover soon.
May you live in interesting times!
Hugs,
Marla

SandyR
03-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Thank God he heard the news before he went that way to work!

The news on Japan looks horrible. I guess the only good thing is it hit in a small fishing town and not a huge metropolis so the death toll is lower than it could have been. Still, the images are very shocking and sad.

They also showed footage of Californians that were evacuated driving up a road that seems to be high elevation and parking there. I'm not sure if it's to reduce the number of fatalities or to get a front row seat of Mother Nature in action. Stay safe!

rob
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm watching CNN, and they are reporting the quake was a magnitude 8.9, which is one of the most powerful earthquakes in recorded history. They also said that there is a nuclear plant in Japan that's been badly damaged and is in danger of a meltdown, and that thousands have been evacuated from the immediate area. The pictures and videos from Japan look absolutley horrible.

Now they are saying that there have been some people swept out to sea on the northern coast of California. What a mess.

rob

tgal
03-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Days like today I miss cable! I spoke to a friend in Southern Cali and thankfully they missed it. I am glad to know you are OK as well Marla!

Like rob i am really concerned about the nuclear plant. I sure am hoping that they get it cooled down before something bad happens

rob
03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Days like today I miss cable! I spoke to a friend in Southern Cali and thankfully they missed it. I am glad to know you are OK as well Marla!

Like rob i am really concerned about the nuclear plant. I sure am hoping that they get it cooled down before something bad happens

You can watch CNN clips online for free, and listen to CNN live at these links-

Watch clips at-

www.cnn.com (http://www.cnn.com)

Listen to CNN live-

www.cnn.com/audio/radio/cnntv.html?hpt=tv (http://www.cnn.com/audio/radio/cnntv.html?hpt=tv)

tgal
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
That is the only thing I can do, Rob. I watch what I can on the net but I didn't know about listening live. Thanks for that link!

rob
03-11-2011, 03:25 PM
That is the only thing I can do, Rob. I watch what I can on the net but I didn't know about listening live. Thanks for that link!

Like you, I have no cable/satellite, so I watch my news online. I discovered that free CNN Live link kind of hidden on CNN's homepage. It's not taped, it's what's on CNN right now live, just without video. It's free 24/7.

ETA-I just watched some of the newest video footage from Japan. The affected areas look like just total and absolute destruction. Looks like the President is sending the carrier USS Ronald Reagan and seven other ships with heavy lift helicopters and other equipment and personnel to render aid.

kim,l
03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
to all our lupus friends in calfornia and hawaii and any that may be in japan i was worried about you all i am glad to hear some of you are okay it was a terrible thing to happen to many of these lately i wish you many hugs from your australian friend kim l

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-12-2011, 03:33 AM
oow marla i am glad to hear you are ok! it is good they rung you!

my step mum mums whole family live in japan thankfully they are all aright for now as they live a lot farther south but it is a worring time as there is news on more tsunami on its way and there has been a explosuion at that power plant with leakages whish is obviously not good! she also has a niece who live in hawaii who thankfully was evacuated and now has been able to return home safely but what scary experiences! i count my blessings over and over again for where i live! british population is always moaning about its rainy miserrable weather but i would much rather that then what some people have gone throu in this last year!!!

i hope and pray that the rest of our whl family are alright and not effected to much by this natural disaster! xxxx

rob
03-12-2011, 04:29 AM
oow marla i am glad to hear you are ok! it is good they rung you!

my step mum mums whole family live in japan thankfully they are all aright for now as they live a lot farther south but it is a worring time as there is news on more tsunami on its way and there has been a explosuion at that power plant with leakages whish is obviously not good! she also has a niece who live in hawaii who thankfully was evacuated and now has been able to return home safely but what scary experiences! i count my blessings over and over again for where i live! british population is always moaning about its rainy miserrable weather but i would much rather that then what some people have gone throu in this last year!!!

i hope and pray that the rest of our whl family are alright and not effected to much by this natural disaster! xxxx

I just saw a before/after photo of that nuclear plant, and it looks like the containment dome/building over the problem reactor has exploded and is totally gone. Hate to say it, but the explosion and damage looks like Chernobyl. One good thing though, is that the prevailing winds where the plant is located, consistently blow to the east, carrying the leaked radioactive steam and possible fallout over the open ocean, and not inland. The people you know in Japan should be just fine as they are far to the south-a very safe place to be.

I know what you mean about the weather, Maine is much like the UK, and like you, we're pretty safe from natural disasters here. No earthquakes here, and a tsunami wouldn't get far as the coastline is mostly sheer cliffs. At my house, it's over 200 ft. straight down to get to the ocean.

I hope the people affected by this disaster receive the help they need ASAP.

Rob

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-14-2011, 02:49 AM
here here rob i second that!!

i watched on telly that abunch of uk professional search and rescue have gone over to help i just really hope for the japaneese that they don't have this second earthquake and tsunami and that this 3rd reactor doesn't go either or its gonig to be even harder get relief!!

rob
03-14-2011, 03:52 AM
here here rob i second that!!

i watched on telly that abunch of uk professional search and rescue have gone over to help i just really hope for the japaneese that they don't have this second earthquake and tsunami and that this 3rd reactor doesn't go either or its gonig to be even harder get relief!!

Did you see the man who drifted out to sea clinging to a piece of his roof? they say he'd been adrift for two days when he was spotted by a Japanese military rescue helicopter. One small piece of good in the middle of all that bad. They are saying the nuke plant had another explosion and that there has been a partial meltdown in one of the reactors. And there is another nuke plant in trouble as well. Earthquake, tsunami, and radioactive contamination, could this possibly get any worse...

SandyR
03-14-2011, 06:49 AM
9 miles out to sea! unbelievable! he was on the cover of the WSJ today.

steve.b
03-15-2011, 12:38 AM
a little scarey fact. arkansas has had 700 earthquakes in the last 6 months.
they are on the same fault plate as new zealand and japan.

700 in 6 months - 4 a day, every day.

kim,l
03-15-2011, 04:09 AM
we had small earthquake in australia in cairns in queensland 4.0 it is so frightening with all these events happening all over the world i feel so upset for the japanese people it must be so horrific so let us all hope everything goes all right with there nuclear power plants they have been through so much it so distressing to see the pictures it makes you think how important it is to live each day to the best of our ability hugs to everyone and may we all stay safe where ever we are, kim l

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Did you see the man who drifted out to sea clinging to a piece of his roof? they say he'd been adrift for two days when he was spotted by a Japanese military rescue helicopter. One small piece of good in the middle of all that bad. They are saying the nuke plant had another explosion and that there has been a partial meltdown in one of the reactors. And there is another nuke plant in trouble as well. Earthquake, tsunami, and radioactive contamination, could this possibly get any worse...

no i have not seen that one yet we have heard of 4 month old baby found 3 days later under rumble and a 70 year old woman found 4 days after under rumble! its those small piece of good that just lift most give people over there that little bit of hope! i think the lovely thing i have also heard how they are still polite and grateful a story of a old woman being carried all the way to one of the centres bowing from her bed to the man who carried her there!

just really hope things start to look up soon for them! xx

magistramarla
03-17-2011, 03:05 PM
It's really breaking my heart to see all that is happening to those poor people in Japan.
We traveled in Japan a few years ago. I traveled in a wheel chair, and I was delighted at the way that I was treated there.

When Jeff pushed me onto a train, a conductor in white gloves would put down a wooden ramp and helped him. He would ask
us about our destination station, and another conductor would meet us there with a ramp to help us off of the train.
All of the people were so polite and helpful! If we asked directions, the person would stop what they were doing to accompany
us where we were going. Many people started conversations with us just to practice their English.

Everything was so clean and lovely. Even the public restrooms at the airport and malls were clean and had programmable toilet seats!
We ate lunch in a mall food court where we were the only Anglos. Everyone seemed thrilled to see us there and people helped us to
pick out our food.

I know that they are proud and resilient people, and that they will overcome this tragedy. It just hurts to see what has happened to such
a beautiful part of their beautiful country.
Hugs and tears,
Marla