PDA

View Full Version : Do I have lupus?

khix
11-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi. THis is my first post-trying to find out what the heck is wrong with me!I have been reading some of your symptoms, and I would like to see if anyone can identify with mine, or has a clue what this might be! Went to Super Wal-mart today and now feel like I have the flu-this happens every time I go.

I woke up one morning in May 05 with all of my joints swollen and hurting (1st time in my life) This continued for about two weeks. Since then I have had daily hand/foot pain. My palms ache along with the bottoms of my feet-like I walked miles. My hands are constantly stiff and sore. Different finger joints will ache and swell at different times. I have run low grade fevers for days at a time with no illness. My husband, myself, and my hair dresser all notice hair loss. Both wrists, knees, ankles, whatever will hurt one or two days-then the pain may go somewhere else. I also had a bout with 5-6 mouth ulers at one time. I have seen a Rheumy twice-she calls me a "mystery". My blood work is all fine except my lupus test came back "slightly positive" (whatever that means), but she assures me she does not think I have lupus. I am tired most days. I have tried 4 different meds for arthritis with minor relief-symtoms do not ever completely go away by any means. A steriod taken for two weeks helped the most, but not something I want to take long-term if I can avoid it. Doc is going to call and check on me Monday, and wants to try plaquenil next. My worst problems are hands and feet-the aching is really bad at times-especially after activity. Any clue what could be going on with me, or suggestions? I am getting frustrated. (Although, I would like to apologize for whining-it sounds like a lot of you guys are really having a daily struggle. My problems are minor compared to most-just confused, frustrated, and scared I guess. I hope everyone finds relief from this terrible disease. I just don't know where to turn. My life just has not been the same since May and I would like to know why and what to do about it) Thank you so much for listening! :?

PattyLatty
11-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Khix, I'm so sorry you are going through this scary rough time in your life. :( Immune deficiency diseases like Lupus are hard to diagnose, which makes what you are going through even more scary. We all want answers, but rheumys won't give a diagnosis until they are certain. Sometimes this takes much longer than most of us are willing to wait. It sounds like you are doing everything you can, and going to a doctor who takes you seriously. Your symptoms are much like mine. Maybe the plaquinil will eventually give you some relief.

Sure, there may be people out there who are worse off than you, but that has nothing to do with how or what you are feeling. We can't diagnose what you have, but we can lend an ear and offer our support. This is a good place to come when you are feeling down or when you need to connect with people who will understand what you are going through.

Hang in there. :wink: Let us know what your doc says on Monday.
Thank you for joining the forum. I offer my sympathy and my support. Sorry you're

Elaine
11-21-2005, 07:55 AM
You are in the same boat that I am...Drs. are at a loss as to what is wrong. No one wants to commit themselves with a diagnosis.
Patty Latty is right about the Plaquenil. I have been taking it for two months and was just about to say to heck with it, I had not noticed any difference. This weekend I played outside with my granddaughters and actually raked some leaves! I have not been able to do even the simplest of outside work in two years, just too tired all the time. I kept thinking that I would be sorry today for all the extra activity yesterday, but I feel no more pain than usual.
That last statement doesn't sound too promising, but to have the energy to do my yard work and play was wonderful.
Keep your chin up!