PDA

View Full Version : Update-Dad is Home!

rob
03-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone,

As many of you know, my father had heart surgery to intall 5 bypasses on Monday of last week. I'm happy to report that Dad is now home, and he's doing great! To look at him, you would never know that he had open heart surgery 8 days ago. He's got a bit of rehab to do, but he'll breeze through that just fine. If you ask him if he's sore from all the various incisions and literally having his ribcage cranked open, he'll say yeah, he's a little sore, but it's a small price to pay for having 15 to 20 more years of life given to him.

While he was in the hospital, everyone, including staff, were amazed by his positive attitude, sense of humor, and his refusal to complain about his situation. A couple of days after he was able to walk, the nursing staff asked him if he would talk to another heart patient who was terribly depressed, and talking about giving up on life. I guess within a couple of hours, Dad and this fellow were laughing and telling stories. Whatever Dad said, worked. Next thing you know, somebody from a different part of the hospital had heard about this and asked for him to talk to someone else who was having a really tough time. Here he is, just a few days after a major surgical procedure, and he's already helping people.

When I found out about this, I just stepped back, smiled with pride, and said "That's my Dad". And today, I told him just how proud I am of him.

Thank you all for all of your kind words, prayers, and well wishes during a tough time that is now, finally, thankfully, behind us.

Rob

Colleenc
03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Great to hear your Dads doing well!!

SandyR
03-09-2011, 02:23 PM
that's wonderful news! Congrats to you and your family.

It looks like that apple didn't fall too far from the tree. I'm not one bit surprised to hear your dad experienced a health crisis and was cheery through it and even helping others as best he could as soon as he was able to. Sounds a lot like someone else I know that he's related to.

tgal
03-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Oh Rob that is so good to hear! Your dad did a WONDERFUL job at "paying it forward" and it will come back to him! Please keep us posted and take care of yourself!

Angel Oliver
03-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Ahhh Rob,
Sorry ive not been in contact but im so glad your Dad is home and was so caring in the hospital.Isnt it amasing how fast they can do things these days.Hope he continues to recover nicely.Hope you are feeling good too.
lots of love
Amanda.xxxx

Nonna
03-09-2011, 06:52 PM
that's wonderful news! Congrats to you and your family.

It looks like that apple didn't fall too far from the tree. I'm not one bit surprised to hear your dad experienced a health crisis and was cheery through it and even helping others as best he could as soon as he was able to. Sounds a lot like someone else I know that he's related to.

Rob, this is so right. You are your Father's son. Glad he's home. May you all have many many years together.

Toni

mountaindreamer
03-09-2011, 07:42 PM
hi rob,

that is wonderful news about your dad. i am sure that the two of you will be underneath a car very soon. i agree with the others, the apple did not fall far from the tree. enjoy your dad, and keep smiling.....that is the best therapy for all of us.

Saysusie
03-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Such wonderful news Rob! I am so happy to hear this and I can hear the elation and relief in your words. I am sure that the two of you are already in the midst of planning your next project together :-)
Sending you high-fives and huge hugs!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

wolfwhisper
03-10-2011, 12:12 AM
hi rob,

that is wonderful news about your dad. i am sure that the two of you will be underneath a car very soon. i agree with the others, the apple did not fall far from the tree. enjoy your dad, and keep smiling.....that is the best therapy for all of us.
I think rob's apple fell on the root!

Rob, I'm excited to hear that your dad is doing so well! Gentle hugs to you both

froggal
03-10-2011, 03:05 AM
I am SO happy to hear that things went well and your dad is doing great. I guess now we know why you are so wonderful! Sounds like you have had a great example!

debbie-b
03-10-2011, 05:17 AM
I was going to say the same thing froggal said.
You have gotten your caring ways from your dad.
I am so glad that he is doing so well.

Debbie

magistramarla
03-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey Rob,
Better late than never - I've been AWOL.
I'm so glad that your Dad bounced back so quickly. It does indeed sound like you are much like him.
Now you two should both not overdo it. Enjoy the spring weather, sit around, and make plans for those cars and boats of yours.
Hugs to both of you,
Marla

mountaindreamer
03-10-2011, 09:49 PM
hey rob,

are you wearing your wading boots yet....this peachy sweetie stuff is getting really thick.....ha ha ha....you know i am just kidding...you deserve each and every compliment. I just couldn't resist being a little mischevious tonight.

hope you and your dad are having a good week.

Bonita
03-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Best wishes from me also and it sounds like your Dad is and angel on earth. Take care Bonita

steve.b
03-11-2011, 07:09 AM
rob, steve from australia. how was the first night??

lovehubby
03-11-2011, 07:26 AM
That is great Rob glad to hear he is doing so well !!!!!

rob
03-11-2011, 08:25 AM
rob, steve from australia. how was the first night??

Hello Steve,

No problems at all. He's sleeping well, has a good appetite, and is getting around just fine. The pain meds slow him down a bit, and he's pretty damn sore from the various sites where they took the the grafts from on his legs, but that's normal. He's already talking about what our next project car should be (we do classic car restorations as a hobby), and he's got his nautical charts out and is planning for this years boating season. He's very much a "go do it" kind of personality, and he's getting a bit of cabin fever. He has to wait a few weeks before he can drive again, and it will be two months before he can do any work out in our man-cave, so he'll probably drive my mother nuts in the meantime!

Rob

BTW-Welcome to WHL!

magistramarla
03-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Yes, I feel sorry for your Mom for the next couple of months!

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-12-2011, 03:48 AM
WOOOHHOOOOO THATS FANTASTIC NEWS ROB! I CAN IMAGINE THE RELIEVEMENT YOU MUST OF FELT!

and just adding to the overwelming compliments think the apple must of touched every brach and trunk as it fell and landed on the root!!

enjoy some quality time with your dad and i agree with marla i feel sorry for your mum in the next couple of months thou i'm sure she is overjoyed to have him under her feet!! xxx