PDA

View Full Version : Vegitarian diet??

SoleSinger
11-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Hi again everyone! It's just me.... Don't all groan at once now! LOL!!!

(I know, does she EVER shut up? LOL!!)

I was just wondering, those of you who are on vegetarian diets, how do you get protein? I have heard that soy products can cause Lupus flares... Is this true?

I'm just curious... Looking for dietary alternatives... maybe lose some of the 35 lbs I have gained since the middle of August!!!

Thanks again!

spacey
11-18-2005, 01:21 AM
I have been a veggie for 9 years now. Soy does cause flares I have heard. I use peanut butter, cheese, nuts, beans...Doesn't really mean you lose weight. ugh

hatlady
11-19-2005, 04:50 AM
Hi SoleSinger! :D

I'm a veggie-head too. I do eat some fish, and dairy. So technically, I'm a pesco-ovo-lacto-vegetarian. :roll:

I think that cutting meat out of my diet has helped with pain levels - the saturated fats are a cause of inflamation. If you want to go veggie, for protien you can eat nuts, lentils, beans (I haven't had problems with soy, but I've never had it three meals a day, either), eggs (lightly - remember there's a lot of cholesterol in the yolk), hard cheeses (again lightly - the sat-fat and the calories!). Milk has some protien as well.

Some pastas are fairly high protein, just watch what you put on them! Alfredo is a million calories. Maybe 2 million :wink: So stick to broth (veggie or clam juice!) or lightly with olive oil. You can load up the dried tomatoes, garlic, spices so that you are luxuriating in the lower calorie treat!

If you do add fish, stick to wild caught salmon, tuna (light, not albacore) once a week, rainbow trout, and other cold water fish. far higher in omegas, which are good for us.

THe best I've seen for losing weight - consider finding a Weight Watchers. THe group support and the knowledge they have really makes a diffeence.

Hugs dear -

hippimom2
11-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I have been a veggi for almost 20 years, but I do eat cheese and free range eggs, so protien isn't too hard to get. I also use the meat substitutes (veggie burgers, chicken, etc) and those are loaded with protien. I haven't had a lot of luck with weight loss - there are still all kinds of yummy foods that are meatless :lol: . I do try not to overdo soy because too much can make symptoms worse.

cassy13thave
12-06-2005, 11:26 AM
I since I been diagnosed 2 month ago, I went on astrict diet, from this book I read The Lupus Recovery diet. I have to say it really works. No meat, no sugar, dairy, or white flour. You could only eat anything made from the earth and not processed with the unsayable chemicals. I have to say I have not been in any pain really as it was before. When the pain comes Aleve takes care of it. Look the book up and ir really decribe a balanced diet. :roll:

hatlady
12-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Cas, I have to give you credit. I don't know if I could be THAT disciplined! Giving up white flour and dairy might just be a bit too much for me. I suppose as long as I could have whole wheat I'd still be OK.

Many people do have allergies to wheat - white flour can lead to pain. And dairy is full of saturated fats - I find if I "binge" on a cheese enchilada I pay the next day. All that sat-fat just ends up creaking my joints big time.

I think I'll go get that book - sounds like it has worked well for you!

Katalanta
12-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, I'm not sure if this is good, bad or indifferent.

My rheumy is very concerned about what I'm eating. I've been a strict vegetarian for 10 years - now the doc says stop it. He wants me eating fish and poultry (he said at every meal - I'm assuming he actually meant at least once a day...). And no sugar or white flour. He said to stick as close as I can to a diabetic diet.

When I do what he says, I feel better and lose weight.

When I do what he says.

That of course, is the problem. I try to control it, but there is this rebellious streak in me that looks at the cookies and bagels at the office and just says...I'll do better tomorrow, right now I'm a gonna have me some good eatin'!

The guys at work just shake their heads, wait til the next day and ask me how I'm feeling. Which is usually terrible. They used to point out what I'd eaten the day before, now they just raise their eyebrows and sigh.

I write this having just wolfed down some mint chocolate chip ice cream...

catlady4520
12-11-2005, 01:25 PM
I can't even imagine being on a vegetarian diet! I was raised on a farm where we had tons of beef/chicken/pork. I'm currently on Atkins and lost about 80lbs in the past 1 1/2 yrs. I see some of the posts where eating soy is not good for SLE. It really sucks that we can't control our disease and lose weight too!

I'm going to talk to my rheumatologist in Jan about my diet to see what I can do to be able to lose weight and help keep my joint pain in check!

hatlady
12-11-2005, 02:38 PM
I know a lot of us have kidney problems - and those that do have to restrict protien. catlady, that means you'd be in trouble - no Atkins!

I do eat fish - but stay away from poultry after I read how they slaughter the chickens - sounded so gross I couldn't face the idea of it. I guess Upton Sinclair ("The Jungle") had a good point - he managed to reform a lot of the industry with that novel. But I still stay away from poultry and red meat.

What I miss most? A wonderfully cooked lamb roast....I'll still have a bite if offered.

I eat a lot of veggies fruit and whole grains. I try to stay away from cheeses (which I LOVE!). And I too feel better when I eat right. HOWEVER - as far as the sugar... if it is attached to bittersweet chocolate - I'm eating it. And loving it. Ain't giving THAT up no way no how! :lol:

KGD16
12-14-2005, 01:13 PM
I've been a veggie since I was 12 (Im 22 now). No meat of any kind, eggs only in things that are mixed up (eggs just give me the willies, I have a lot of sensory problems :-p) I get most of my protein from cheese, peanut butter, and the occasional glass of soy milk (they have some chocolate kinds that are low fat and soooo good). If I manage to get to the gym, sometimes I'll throw a scoop of protein mix into my soy milk, put some ice in and blend it. Very milk-shakey. If I've been realllly good that week, I'll throw a scoop of Edy's slow curned ice cream. mmm...

Overall, I do get enough protien, but some people believe you need way more than you actually do. Its more important to watch the iron if you are changing over to a veggie diet.

shanniefly
12-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Any ideas for someone who is an emotional eater, loves meat...but has to watch protein intake, regular amounts of vitamin K, limited sugar, no caffen(sp) :oops: , and what ever else they throw at me next visit...tomorrow!!!

I think I'm going to go to an all celery diet for a week, and then start from scratch...thanks for the vent time all!!! Really though...I think we should cheat in moderation occasionally b/c I've heard if you do it once in a while, you are less prone to binge!!! :D

hatlady
12-17-2005, 04:33 AM
You betcha! Some days I can be so good, other days.....

Yesterday I had some wonderful home made broccoli/carrot soup for lunch. But I stopped over at the cafeteria and got an order of fries to go with it.... :oops: and loved every bite! 8)

Eating properly is SO important. But sometimes you just have to listen to your cravings... in moderation, in moderation.

madthumbs
12-22-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm getting better... here's my recommendations:

I very much avoid soy and highly recommend you all do. Americanized soy is not the same as Asian. Ours tends to be non-fermented and GMO.

I wouldn't avoid all meat, but abstain from: pig, and shellfish. I still eat salmon, tuna (sashimi), lamb, and occasionally beef. (Grain fed beef may be linked to MS).

Anyone choosing to go vegetarian/ veggan should consider Lectins; the very high levels of toxins in potato peels, and the toxins produced in starches at high heat (ie potato chips, french fries, etc), as well as legumes and night shade family plants.

Other things I strongly avoid ingesting: ALL artificial sweeteners (found in gums *look for "improved flavor", soft drinks, pills - even vitamins!, canola oil (rapeseed oil), all soy products, MSG, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, peanut oil, peanuts.

I've done a lot of research on the stuff I mention. If you question it, I'd suggest doing the same.