PDA

View Full Version : I think I may have started a doctor fight...

jmail
03-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I wish sometimes that a person could eavesdrop on doctor-to-doctor conversations... I went to the hematologist Tuesday after work, and we were discussing my issues with CVID and everything that's affected by/from it, including SLE. He is of the opinion (very strongly apparently) that I've got SLE, and was very surprised when I told him that the rheumy had said "We'll have to wait and see, and do more blood work next spring." In fact, he got red in the face, puffed his cheeks, rocked back and forth in his chair a couple of times, inhaled & exhaled a couple of times - reminded me of my mom doing her "I'm counting to ten, mister!" routine - and then came out with "I'll have to call her and discuss your case."

- btw, does anyone else have issues with remembering what they did with their notes from the doctor's visit? I can't find the numbers from my blood work... lol - Anyway, he went through his "it's not this because of this" a few times, and then "so that only leaves lupus" talk again.

I wish I could hear what they say...

- another btw: I started monthly IV Gammagard Wednesday morning for the CVID, so I'll be chained to that till the day I die. They fill a person full of Benadryl when they do that, and I didn't have anyone drive me there... whoops! That won't happen again. lolol

SandyR
03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
I have to admit I am laughing a little at this and cheering you on. If getting your doctors to argue means they will finally be forced to communicate about you and your medical condition then I say HOORAY!!!

Saysusie
03-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I agree, wholeheartedly, with SandyR. Let them fight to the death, as long as it means that they are working towards a common goal: your health!
I wish you the best :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I am so happy for you! I am glad that one of your doctors is taking up your cause! Now something might actually happen!

rob
03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Doctor on doctor smackdowns can be highly entertaining! I've seen/overheard a couple that were good enough to sell tickets to.

Bonita
03-04-2011, 05:47 PM
And may the good doctor win. Bonita

wolfwhisper
03-04-2011, 06:44 PM
A step closer to your diagnosis (kind of wishing for balloons and confetti lol)! I agree with everyone!

Doctor on doctor smackdowns can be highly entertaining! I've seen/overheard a couple that were good enough to sell tickets to.
Next time, try and get it on film. I'd happily buy it! lol

BonusMom
03-05-2011, 08:15 PM

It would be a hit on youtube, for sure, Rob!

I had a similar issue, early in the AI mystery, between my PCP and rheumy. My rheumy is an expert in her field who did a comprehensive medical exam/history and referred me to UCSF's SICCA Study for further eval. My PCP adhered strictly to labs, didn't perform a physical exam as comprehensive as my rheumy and wanted me to get a second opinion. I got a second opinion alright....I got another PCP!

Here's hoping that you will be the benefactor of the two "genuises" differing opinions!

magistramarla
03-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Good for you, Jmail!
You'll have to report to us about your next rheumy appointment. What do you want to bet, she'll claim that she was sure that it was Lupus all along?
Hugs,
Marla

mountaindreamer
03-06-2011, 09:02 PM
round 1, 2 and 3.....KNOCKOUT>>>>one dr. is on the ground. ha ha ha

wish this one could be posted on youtube...i would even learn how to search youtube to see it...

congrats jmail, sounds like you will finally get the attention that you need and deserve. now, maybe they will get busy finding a way to help you feel better.

jmail
03-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys. I do have a great PCP, and the hematologist is good. I'm probably going to lose him before too long, since he's almost old enough to retire. I've been trying to convince him that he needs to work until he's 82, not 62. That way, I stand a chance of him being around until I pass on... lol

We do need Rob to get his cell phone out and "tape" the next "smackdown". I bet he'd make enough to fly us all up to Maine for a week's vacation... hint hint

I can't remember when my next rheumy gig is, Marla. I'll have to call their office I think. I apparently didn't write it down on the calendar (again). I'm supposed to do blood work the week before going in. Seems to me it's in June. I might try to move it up, in light of my CVID diagnosis & current treatment. Plus, she'd have the hema-guy's conversation "fresh" in her brain...

sprant
03-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Oh yeah nothing like a doctor show down. Particularly with some of their egos. I had a general consultant at the hospital have a disagreement with the cardiology department over my case. It turned into a political battle, in which they would get their registras to go and fight for them. Then my rheumy jumped in and gave the general consultant an ear full for giving me beta blockers when I have severe raynauds (makes it worse). Entertaining, but at the same time you loose confidence and start to doubt, do these people really know how best to treat me? Someone has to be wrong.

lupiegirl
03-07-2011, 08:56 AM
I am smiling!!! Perhaps you can ask Good Doctor to recommend a Good Doctor Rheumy. Then fire Bad Doctor. No one needs Bad Doctor in their life!

Oh to be a bug on the wall....

jmail
03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm sure he knows a rheumy or two. The one I've got now was recommended by my PCP, and I'm hoping that this 3rd visit with this particular rheumy goes well, else I may have to ask the hemo guy for some advice in that regard... lol