View Full Version : What a Wednesday!

03-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Just needed to share the crazy Wednesday I experienced this week!! So I woke up feeling fine but had a bit of a sore knee which seemed like no big deal. Headed off to work and had a relatively quiet day which isn't common in my line of work but by about 3pm my knee had gotten worse and was becoming painful to just sit down and I couldn't concentrate so I went home. From the time I left the office to the time I got to my car which is all of about 5 minutes I was in agony and I stayed like that the whole 45 minute drive home.
I got home and layed down for a while until my boyfriend got home but by that time I had gotten worse, couldn't move without crying and I could just feel this enormous wave of pain over my whole body. I spent over a week In hospital last year with my first flare and this pain didn't compare! After much persuasion by my mum and best friend who's an E.D nurse they ended up calling an ambulance.
On the way to the hospital I had 6 shots of painkillers up my nose and had already taken panadine forte at home. The pain was still so bad that by 10pm I'd had 20mg of endone (oxycodone) and 10mg of morphine.
If not for the docs and nurses at the hospital I would have been in agony the whole night but they jumped on it straight away when I said I had SLE which is more than I can say for the hospital I went to with my first flare (after being diagnosed) where I was told it wasn't a flare it was just a virus and was left writhing in pain for 4 hours.
Anyway, top end to my horrible Wednesday, woke up this morning with the only pain being from the drip in my arm!! A mix of steroids and hardcore painkillers work wonders haha.
Anyway thanks for listening and positive thoughts to everyone XO

03-03-2011, 06:59 AM
I am glad, that you have gotten the right care and help with your pain.
It is amazing, how different some hospitals are. I am glad you went to one, where doctors understand Lupus.
Wishing you the best.


03-03-2011, 08:01 AM
wow! that's a lot of pain you were tolerating. I'd have been crying for the doctor much earlier b/c I'm a wuss like that. What did the doctors say was causing so much knee pain? I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

03-03-2011, 08:25 AM
I am so sorry you had to go through that but glad you received good care! Did they end up saying what was wrong?

03-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all your lovely wishes.
They just said it was a flare up because I've been off steroids for a few months they think the mtx might not be doing its job. To be honest I think its probably a mix of the heat and stress, started a new senior position at work and its been something like 32 days with temperatures over 33 degrees in perth. But back onto the steroids for a little while at least just to see if it makes a difference.

Merrilyn OZ
03-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Hi Nat,
Glad you got such good care which hospital? Hope the steroids do the trick, I have'nt found the mtx too good,steroids did a far better job for me controlling the Lupus flares.
This heat sure would'nt help think its getting us all down, thank goodness its cooling down for the long weekend.
Take care and rest as much as pos.

03-04-2011, 05:00 AM
hi nat yes i know the heat and stress can get you down the heat wave we had in sydney recently caused me severe pain i have to take endone when i am flaring bad sorry you are feeling this take care rest as much as possible hugs kim l

03-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Merrilyn - went to charlies, they were fantastic! Unlike my experience at joondalup!!
Kim - the endone is usually the only thing that makes me feel better too!

03-07-2011, 07:59 AM
hi nat,

so sorry, but i just found this thread. thank goodness that the folks at the hospital recognized the pain associated with lupus flares....i have had to get morphene drips at ER to get rid of pain....i now keep morphene tablets, and take as needed when pain is just too unbearable.

hope you are feeling better now.

Linda From Australia
04-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Nat I suppose going in by ambulance is what got you straight in. What happened when you went to Joondalup, did you walk in and have to wait? I sat in the waiting room (on a Sunday) for around 3-4 hours with my daughter (18) when she had concussion, but when we finally saw a doctor it was on 20 mins in and out, and that included a CT scan. Mind you, it was all covered through medicare, if we went to the GP then had a scan she would probably be up for a few hundred dollars, well, I suppose I would be a nice mum and pay for it!!!