PDA

View Full Version : Question about flares and blood tests

wolfwhisper
03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Is there a better chance of diagnosis if the blood-test is taken during a flare? I've had blood-tests during a flare, but they were only looking at thyroid lvls.

PS. How do you keep your mind from wandering over an unwanted "taboo" topic? I don't want to jinx anything.

tgal
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Although it is not always the case sometimes your levels are higher when you are in a flare. I had someone tell me once that whenever they were going to have blood drawn for a lupus count they would stay out in the sun for an hour or two in order to have a better chance of the bloods showing something. So I guess the answer is that it can help but it doesn't always.

As far as the "taboo" subjects" I don't have any of them anymore. This disease is hard enough to deal without having to keep secrets. Fire away!

serand4
03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
My flares definitely increase my numbers. Of course, the moment they get you on high doses of steriods, the numbers go down. There simply has to be another way to check Lupus other than the ANA. You would think they would've figured something out by now!

wolfwhisper
03-02-2011, 05:38 PM
No kidding. I googled it but it didn't help. I was wondering if I should work out a lot and pray that it would come out, but if the flare doesn't effect the count, I wouldn't do it. WHy cause pain when I can go (more or less) without.

Tgal- the taboo subject....I lost one of my best friends (dog) in November, and my "uncle" back at the begining of February. Today I found out that my best human friend (she lives with us) has a tumor IN her thyroid. If it's cancerous, then she'll need it operated on. The two concequences are that she will live or die. With the way things have been lately, although I doubt the negative, I just wonder how I'd make it through without her. We've been the best of friends for 11 years this summer, and we've done almost everything together. We even go to college together! I just don't want to dwell on the negative, but if I leave my mind to wander, guess where it will end up?

wolfwhisper
03-02-2011, 06:02 PM
No kidding. I was thinking about working out a lot tomorrow so I can flare on friday, but if it has no effect on the blood test, I don't want to cause a flare I'll regret. XD

Tgal- the taboo.....My best friend (dog) died in November 2010. My "uncle" died the begining of february. Now, I have to face that I might lose my best friend of 11 years this sept. They found a tumor IN her thyroid, and they have to biopsy it to see if it's malignant, and it's pretty big. Chance of surgery is high, and although the chances of surviving are great, I can't help but worry over the negative. I don't know what I can do to keep from thinking about it. If I let my mind wander, guess where it ends up?

Going to make Jasmine tea (aka the good stuff lol) and hope that it helps calms me a bit. I feel frayed.

tgal
03-02-2011, 08:23 PM
It is not taboo to think about or discuss death. It is only wrong when you dwell upon it. We all know that worrying causes us stress and stress leads to bigger flares. Holding in ones feeling can be the biggest stressor out there. The worst thing that we can do is bottle up our feelings. Holding everything in causes us to get more ill while verbalizing our worries and getting them out into the open can help heal.

With your friend being ill it causes you to worry about the "what ifs". It isn't wrong to do that but you can't dwell on it. Don't borrow trouble. Live in the today but plan for tomorrow. You thought abou it. You expressed it. Now it has no power over you. Come here when you feel stressed about it. Write it and get it out of your head. We are here for you. I can't tell you what is going to happen but I can tell you that you will be able to handle whatever it is. I can also tell you not to waste whatever time she or you have together. Whether it is 1 week, 1 year or 1 month if you continually focus on the "what ifs' you fail to live in the now. Discuss it and get it out so you and she can live.

Hope this makes sense. Pretty bad fog with the upping of the meds. I should be better in a week or so. (huggggs)

wolfwhisper
03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Mari- I love your mom talks. They always make me feel better :)

I'd trade my life for hers. the funny thing about us is that we are almost complete opposites, but we are great together. she's the optomist, I'm the pessimist (sry for the spelling).
mmm...I can't seem to remember spelling. I always question it. hope the meds cause your fog only and that it ends quickly.

Love you guys! (hugs)xxx

magistramarla
03-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Hi Wolfwhisper,
Hang in there, and try to think positively. I like to watch the show The Doctors. They just had a guest on there who has lived through thyroid cancer. It was found by accident when he had an MRI after a car accident. It was surgically removed and he is fine now. He even still has a great singing voice.
Think of this example, and I hope that it turns out as well for your friend.
Hugs,
Marla

wolfwhisper
03-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks Marla.
I'll be sure to keep it in mind. I know it's possible, just really hard to stop being my pesimistic self. Her's is 7 inches. She's so optimistic, that it's hard not to catch it as quickly as one catches the flu. A friend came over and said "she's like a typical asian. Put neosporin and a band-aid on it and it'll be fine" (he is asian too, so it lightened the mood a bit lol). I was able to smile anyway.
I'm just afraid to lose someone else. It's just been a terrible 4 months here, and I really hope this bad luck streak stops soon. Not only my bad luck, but everyone here's too. Well, it's 2:40am, so I'm going to get some sleep while I'm feeling tired. Probably won't be back on around until about noon. lol

Nonna
03-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Here's a hug and a thought for you.
1 remember your scripture verse
2 He's got a plan
3 trust in Him
4 if you dwell on bad thoughts- tell the devil to take his bad thoughts and go away

anyway, You are right about one thing - Mari is the best Mom we have. Her advice is great

Toni

SandyR
03-03-2011, 07:46 AM
I think it's normal to run your mind through all the options when faced with such a serious situation. Especially the negative ones because, for me, I know the brain tries to solve all the little puzzles in how I could possibly guarantee that the outcome will be a positive one. Mari is right that this isn't healthy when it becomes too much of your focus. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend and that you are once again facing the possibility of losing someone you love so much. It's a lot of stress to go through in so short a time. (((hugs)))

wolfwhisper
03-03-2011, 04:01 PM
My friend and I were talking about it today. She said that with all of the medical break throughs lately she isn't worried about it. She also mentioned that me and my mom have cried enough for all three of us. I suppose it's alright, since she feels fine. I just keep remembering my "uncle" and the night he collapsed. It's not the same thing, bit pretty close since his was cancer, and hers most likely is. *happy thoughts...Happy thoughts!!* lol

Go figure that I flare today. Didn't even do anything! Who want's to bet that it will be gone for the blood test and come back just after? I helped my dad in the front yard....hope it flares for the test and preferrably no longer than it has to. lol

ritzbit
03-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Try to hope for the best! In the end, things always end up working out the way they are supposed to. I hope your blood tests show what you hope they will next week at the doctor!

jmail
03-04-2011, 08:09 AM
The thing about the thyroid, and is true for some other cancer targets, is that the cancer is usually confined to just that particular area for a relatively long time. The symptoms usually present themselves in sufficient time for reaction. It's tough to ignore much of a thyroid tumor, since it's either going to start to "choke" a person, or it shows on the outside. A person & doctors just have to pay attention to the symptoms. Also, with the different treament options of today, cancer isn't the "death threat" it was even 5 years ago, much less 20 years ago when I had mine. A good attitude and support from those around a person helps immensely in recovery. Discussing it up front, and continued discussions are necessary for all involved. Also, if it is cancer, they now know what cancer looks like in her, and will have her "markers" that can be used in future diagnoses, which is a good thing. Sort of... lol - it's a shame a person has to go thru cancer to get their "markers"...

As for your flare, try not to stress yourself wolfwhisper. Stress brings on a flare in me almost as fast as getting too much sunlight...

Anyway, I like Nonna/Toni's reply:

Here's a hug and a thought for you.
1 remember your scripture verse
2 He's got a plan
3 trust in Him
4 if you dwell on bad thoughts- tell the devil to take his bad thoughts and go away

anyway, You are right about one thing - Mari is the best Mom we have. Her advice is great

Toni

wolfwhisper
03-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks. I actually got my flare today for my blood test! Of course, it came after the test, and it was actually the nurse that brought it on. My almost daily flare ranges from1-3, but this guy managed to get it to 6-7

Here's the full story feel free to skip if you want lol. Wanted to share, because I know this has happened to others (unlucky blood donors have been pulled away by ambulance) and I thought that it was just my luck. Hope you enjoy my little quote!

"The 'Hokey Pokey' is NOT a game you play with needles during a blood test." ~Nicole Belliveau

My testing scared the living crap out of me lol. The nurse taking the blood didn't get my vein in my right arm (I seem to have centralized flares, and my right arm is most susceptible). While still in the hole, he poked and prodded about 5 times before switching arms. It wasn't gentle like the female nurses, and I could feel almost every movement! I didn't know whether to cry or expel food that I hadn't eaten yet. He said, "Next time, use your left arm. The vein in your right is all over the place". I started feeling nauseous and told him that no one else has had a problem with it. I couldn't help sounding mean, but was starting to feel sick and just wanted to pass out. Anyway, he finished (my head was down as I was trying not to vomit. Now I kinda wish I did though. Would have loved to see him freak out) and asked if I was alright. Obviously, I told him I felt sick, and I swear that my head was nearly folded off since they had me bend over and held me there. How are you supposed to take deep breaths with compressed lungs, anyway? lol Afterward, he helped me to a chair (which is really cool! It's like an automatic recliner) and another nurse put a wet napkin at the back of my head and another on my forehead. They asked me my name and address to make sure I was alright, although I'm positive my words were a bit slurred. He got me a small cup of orange juice, that I nearly spit out (I'm not a fan of orange juice since I have 3 orange trees in my backyard, and it tasted like orange juice and an orange juice powder mix xp). I was able to leave after about 5 minutes, although it felt longer. I have a very bad sense of time so I have to guess. Oh yeah! He said it was probably from fasting and lack of sleep. Notice how he didn't mention that jiggling a needle in someone's arm is bound to make them sick if not pass out?! I was supremely pissed at him. I officially hate needles again! All better after a 5 hour nap, shower and senior citizen's concert lol. Just need to get lots of protien and remember to get up slower (get minor blackouts otherwise).
On the way home, I came up with my own little quote about needles! lol

magistramarla
03-05-2011, 10:01 PM
LOL - I loved your story.
They always have a hard time with finding my veins. Once, I went back to school with both of my arms looking terribly bruised. My students were very concerned. Several of them offered to go do terrible things to the lab tech for me!
Hope you feel better soon and that those tests show something!
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
03-06-2011, 01:23 AM
This is why I am grateful that most of my doctors have quest labs in their offices. After almost 40 years of blood tests my veins are very needle shy. A butterfly works best or a pediatric needle. The best vein that everyone had been using bit the dust this last time. I'm not looking forward to the next time. I've been known to faint on men. For some unknown reason women make better blood drawers then men. Go Figure!

mountaindreamer
03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
hi wolfwhisper,

so sorry to hear about your friend. I remember the total fear that i felt when my 32 year old daughter was diagnosed with stage 3 1/2 breast cancer. It hits like a volcano eruption. But, guess what.....they have come a long way in the treatment of cancer, and your friend has the right attitude....her positive and determined attitude will help her fight this battle...by the way, my daughter had the most aggressive type of breast cancer, with 7 lymph nodes involved. she is now 35 and has even had another baby....miracles do happen, so don't give up just yet.

the life and death of our loved ones is one of the life changing events in our lives that we can't control. Just love her and enjoy every single day with her, and cheer with her as she takes each step. Then come here and let your friends help you carry the load on your shoulders....

By the way, i love your "lab technician from hell" story...you are very correct, we have all enountered the same nightmare. Makes me wish i could carry a needle with me and jab them back.

Like Nonna....i choose the butterfly needle and i choose the lab tecnhician without the attitude.

jmail
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
... Makes me wish i could carry a needle with me and jab them back...
I've had a couple that I thought a dull screw driver would have been more appropriate... or a rusty ice pick... tic

wolfwhisper
03-11-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm going to my dr appointment at 7 (it's almost 5 now lol). Anyway, it just occured to me. Has anyone had a thin layer of bubbles on top of their blood when it's being drawn? I'd call it a light foam, but it wasn't as thick. I notice it just before I closed my eyes. I was wondering what might have caused it and is it something to worry about? I'm going to ask the dr, but we all know how 'trustworthy' they can be. Any info would help. thanks ahead