PDA

View Full Version : My Feet Are so Swollen

ritzbit
02-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I have never really had problems with my feet being overly swollen but the past 3 days have been unbearable. My feel are so swollen it looks like the skin is just being stretched to the brink. It happens later in the afternoon around 2-3 and gets worse as the night goes on and starts up in my hands too, but not as bad. I've been taking Naproxen hoping it would help but its not. Any suggestions?

tgal
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
That is something you need to make sure and tell your doctor about. It is really important and can be a sign of some dangerous and not so dangerous things. The reason it is happening or with your feet in the afternoon and evenings is because you have been on your feet or had your feet hanging down for several hours. I have this issue on and off for a couple of years and one of the best things to do is to make sure you put your feet up when you are sitting down. (I used to use my trashcan under my desk when I worked). Give it a shot and see if that helps. Let us know how it goes!

jmail
02-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Ritzbit, did you get anywhere about your heart? That and the feet can be related.

Hazel
02-25-2011, 04:18 AM
My doctor always checks my feet for swelling but i have never known why. I have only had my feet swell twice and i know what a horrible and uncomfortable feeling it is. I feel for you. I guess the thing to do is head straight to your doctor and dont take any chances. Good luck!

SandyR
02-25-2011, 08:34 AM
I've had my feet swell to the point of going to the hospital. Please make sure you mention this to your dr. As jmail and tgal said - it could be nothing but if it is something you need to get it checked out.

ritzbit
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
They were a little swollen last time I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and she said I'd have to go back on prednisone if it got worse =( my mom said she's calling on Monday if they dont get better over the weekend. And I try to put them up when I get home but theres nothing I can do when it starts up at school. Im really never on my feet during the day except between classes. They arent as bad today thank god. Its going to be a lying around in bed kind of weekend.

ritzbit
02-25-2011, 07:32 PM
My feet today. And thats GOOD compared to the last few days.

BonusMom
02-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Even though your feet are improved, please be sure to tell your doctor about the swelling. Did you take pictures of your feet when they were at their worst? As they say, a picture's worth a thousand words and when you can't get in to the doctor immediately (or don't think it's necessary), you can show them what the swelling/rash, etc. looked like initially.

Glad that you're doing better.

Nonna
02-27-2011, 02:49 PM
the last time my feet swelled up I ended up at the emergency room. It turned out they swelled because I had a UTI. that's just an FYI

nonna

SandyR
02-28-2011, 07:46 AM
my feet looked alot like that when I was in the ER too. how are they today? Did you end up calling the dr?

ritzbit
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Went to the doctor today about my feet. Its Vasculitis =( now going to be on 15mg pred twice a day and starting back on cellcept... not really what I wanted to hear =(

SandyR
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I know vasculitis isn't at all what you wanted to hear or were hoping for. It was the thing they tested me for that I thought you might get tested for and come out positive too. The plus sides are you caught it early enough that you are already home and fairly out of danger considering they gave you a script and let you go. You also now know what it is and thankfully are able to take care of it. And perhaps most importantly of all to me - you had your mom's help. She actually listened to you and I know you've struggled with getting her to do just that when your symptoms aren't so visible or frightening. So for now prop your feet up pop your pills and take it easy a day or two at least. :)

ritzbit
03-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I dont even know what to expect being on this much prednisone because last time I took it I was only on 10mg a day now its 30mg. I have final exams this week and Im so tired and sore and just want to sleep but I have a 5 page paper to write and 4 exams to study for =( I really just cant handle things right now. This happens everytime something bad happens; always all at once when I have 5 more things on my plate to worry about. The only thing I guess I could say Im "looking forward to" is my feet getting better because they hurt even more today. I get my pred after school today so I guess I'll have to wait and see how long it takes to make my feet better.

SandyR
03-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Can you call your professors and ask for a medical extension on the exams? If they say no, you might be able to get one through the department heads or the school student dean - or whatever that title the person has is. I think you might be able to get that extension with a note from your doctor because of the American's with Disabilities Act but the dean would know best.

ritzbit
03-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Im still in high school. 3 of my exams are my AP classes, and one is my college class. All of the exams have to be taken by Friday because grades have to be put in for this term by next week. I could be exempt from my exams if I had only 3 absences from school but I have 5, which I think is a joke because I had a doctors note for 3 or 4 of those days. If I just up and decided to not go to school and have my mom write me a note that'd be different, but I was at the doctor twice and one other time I couldnt come because I was contagious. I think its just stupid. I just want to go home and SLEEP. =(

SandyR
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
hmmmm...usually schools fall under the ADA Title II laws...I know KY has an ADA website...I don't know if the school has record of your medical condition or even if it would have previously had have to been on file to make accomodations but you might want to have your mom call the offices and ask about it because the exams might be able to be postponed for you. I know you said they need the grades by a certain day but if you fall into the catagory of people they have to accomodate then they would have to work with you and would just have to retroactively grade you. You won't be able to get out of the exams, but you might be able to delay them a few days. I'm not sure about the AP tests - Marla would know since she was an AP Latin teacher - but I think the only way the AP will accomodate you is by contacting them directly. It's been 10 years since I had to study these laws and that was in PA and VA on top of that so my information might be outdated. Of course, if you feel physically well enough to go and take the test, you should go.

ritzbit
03-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I asked my counselor if she can help me with anything. I stayed home from school today. I could barely get myself up this morning and thought a shower would help so I took one but then fell right back asleep after I was done. I feel like crap. I tried to write a draft of my 5 page paper last night and gave up. Sitting at the computer was just uncomfortable. Tried to go to sleep at about 10:30 or 11 and ended up getting really upset about things (like I always do when Im sick and stressed) and cried to my friends for like an hour before I could even try to sleep. I feel exhausted today. Had to get up early to take my medicine because my doctor said it will only work if I take it early. Now I hope to get some more sleep.

tgal
03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Sandy is right. Like it or not because of your illness you can be listed as special needs. It doesn't mean changing classes but it does mean that they have to make accommodations for you. I say you go to the Principal about this. Someone needs to work with you on this. If an exam isn't taken on time they can put an Incomplete on that six weeks and it will get a grade when all the work is done.

Talk to the principal and if that doesn't work ask her for grievance papers. File a grievance against her and I promise they will work with you1

ritzbit
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I feel pathetic because I have to keep asking for help on everything and keep breaking down about everything. Everyone keeps telling me Im lazy and its really getting to me =( Im not lazy Im sick and dont feel good at all. I feel like if they say they cant do anything for me Im just going to let it slide and be like "ok I guess I'll take them" because I feel like Im whining and everyone just thinks Im being over dramatic...

SandyR
03-02-2011, 11:03 AM
if everyone told you that you were speaking chinese even though you know you are speaking english and that happened often and long enough that would probably get to you after a while too. You can substitue "speaking chinese" with feeling sick or anything else. The point is - they might tell you what they think they know about you but only you really know about yourself what it is. It gets to the point where you think *you* are crazy and you know you're not. I know it's frustrating to have to go and ask for help over and over again but you are the posterchild for the reasons why these laws are in effect. The school has a legal obligation to serve you and to accomodate your needs. I would use that phrase - legal obligation as outlined by the KY ADA Title II Laws - in a conversation. You will see a lot of people suddenly sit up and take notice that you mean business. More importantly then right now - you might actually need these accomodations set up for you when you go to college - your rights are not as clear there and having a paper trail that shows that you do need help will help you later. This should be something your parents are pursuing with you. The school will listen better to them - that sucks to say but it's true because they are adults and you are still a minor.

ritzbit
03-02-2011, 03:25 PM
No one is getting back to me and I emailed them this morning and I know she checks her email all the time. I would have just talked to her but I wasnt at school today. I dont want to bring my parents into it because they are part of that group of people who think Im just being dramatic and should "suck it up".