PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been "fired" by there healthcare provider for being "too" sick???

Colleenc
02-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Just got back from an appointment with my nurse practitioner who just fired me! Her excuse is that I'm to sick for her scope of practice (which I believe), however my issue is that right now I'm just getting over an acute adrenal crisis and have undiagnosed fainting spells that have resulted in me having 8 stitches to my face twice, the last of which just happened Monday. My Rheumy is in a major city (we live in a rural area lacking family doctors) so I'm in deperate need of someone to coordinate everything where I live. This is a huge blow to me and my husband (it has taken me a long time to find the right healthcare team). We are not sure what to do as I'm still on IV drugs and still feeling sick. Just venting!! I'm really angry, I feel as though I have been kicked when I'm down!!

tgal
02-09-2011, 09:06 PM
LOL I had an experience something like this. A GP once told me (after sorting through my files) that this was "above her head". All I wanted was for her to be the central place to put it all together but she gave up!

So sorry you are going through all of this! It will get better

chikititalinda
02-10-2011, 07:40 AM
So sorry Colleenc. Health care system really sucks!!!! Hopefully you'll find a wonderful doctor soon.

SandyR
02-10-2011, 08:13 AM
wow! i am shocked to hear that this medical professional could be so unprofessionally cold and crass and just dump your case without even an offer to treat you until you are able to find another medical provider.

rob
02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Colleen,

I can't believe that they would just dump you like that. If you see that practitioner again, tell this person that I think they are an Assh**e with a capital A. Frigging unbelievable.

Rob

Colleenc
02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Well she said she would help us find a family doc (however I don't really believe that). My anger is around the fact that I'm very ill right now and have been dumped off (I don't even know who is doing the reqs etc... for my blood work the rhuemy wants twice a week from homecare that was supposed to be done today). I would have been able to accept this if I was feeling a little better, because I do believe that I am to sick for her to handle but to just say I'm done and leave me stranded is unforgivable!

Colleenc
02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Oh don't worry my hubby and I sent a very carefully yet to the point e-mail to her this am. The unfortunate thing is, is that she had become like a part of our family and we think she has been forced into this. But for anyone to just leave someone in the shape I'm in right now is just not right!

Chachi
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Oh Colleen, I am so sorry. I was just writing to you on another thread about my NP before I read this. It must be so disappointing and hurtful too-especially since you seem to have trusted her (if she was like family..)It will get better though, and you will find someone else. Take it easy, and do something special that will make you feel good...bubble bath, rent a movie, buy a new book, get your husband to bake some chocolate chip cookies!!!!

wendy

Colleenc
02-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks...

I just wrote on your other thread!! LOL

I did bake chocolate chip cookies and a loaf of bread!

I think I need to go back to work or my family is going to get way to used to this!!!

Colleenc
02-14-2011, 01:45 PM
UPdate on the "firing" thingy!! My Rheumy got in contact with my NP and told her how unimpressed she was with her. To make a long story short, legally she can't just let me go. So she is keeping me until she finds someone else. She has totally backed tracked and said she did not fire me (I think for fear of legal issues). she said there is a grey area and it wasn't clear to us what she had intended to do. It was very clear to us what she was wanting to do. She said it straight up. But know she does not want to admit it. Oh well I looking at it like it will be a good change and maybe a new doc on the scene may help me improve my health!

Saysusie
02-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Oh..now we see the whole "Back Track..A. H. Puckered..get me outta this S@#t" language from her! You are absolutely right, she is now trying to avoid legal issues because what she did was so totally illegal/unethical. It would have been different if she had said that she was referring you to someone else with more expertise, but that is not what she did..she dumped you!
I do hope that this ends up with you finding a good doctor who is dedicated to you and your health! Best of luck!
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Colleenc
02-14-2011, 07:55 PM
My hubby and I have looked over e-mails that where sent back and forth between her and us over the last few weeks and without a doubt she most certainly "fired" (although said in more professional way) me and is now back tracking due to her fears of us sueing her. We won't, however if something happens because I'm still waiting for an urgent cardiac referral them we may need to re visit that... UGGHH!!!

magistramarla
02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi Colleen,
I know just what you mean. After a bit of trial and error, I had a great "team" back in Texas. Then we moved to California. The new PCP took one look at the paperwork that I gave him and told me that I might be a hypochondriac. I've written a thread about firing my rheumy - she really doesn't seem to know what to do with me.
I've decided to get all of my medical care in San Francisco, where there are teaching hospitals and docs who actually know what they are doing. It's worth the 100 mile drive!
I hope that you're having better luck.
Hugs,
Marla

Colleenc
02-14-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm all for teaching hospitals!! My Rheumy and hematologist are in Toronto(which is about an hour away) and that is where I have asked to be sent for my cardiac problems as well. I'm done with rural canadian doctors!!

I've never been told I was a hypochondriac, however I have been asked if I had my period (because of gross hematuria) and if I was anorexic (because of excessive vomiting due to a clot in my stomach) have you ever seen a 160lb anorexic?? LOL

magistramarla
02-14-2011, 09:26 PM
My daughter recently had a nurse who accused her of being anorexic. She told the nurse that her 1 year old had figured out that if he pushes his fingers down his throat, it makes him gag and cough and makes Mommy and Daddy pay attention to him. The nurse insisted that a baby wouldn't do this unless he was imitating someone that he's seen doing it.
We laughed at the very idea - Meg loves to cook and eat (much like me) and Tyler is a big healthy military man. Ryan is just a smart little kid who figured out a way to get attention. Meg listened to me and they stopped reacting to it, so Ryan stopped doing it.
Sometimes those so-called health professionals jump to conclusions.
Hugs,
Marla

Colleenc
02-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Well they asked me before they figured out I had the clot, I had been vomiting and not eating for 2 weeks, they had no idea what was going on so as usual started saying stupid shit!! Oh well makes me laugh now!! Sounds like you have a very smart little man on your hands!!!

magistramarla
02-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Yup, three out of my four daughters each have a very smart little man on their hands. We get to sit back and laugh. They are "payin' for their raisin' " and they deserve everything that those boys dish out!
Hugs,
Marla