PDA

View Full Version : Failed Autoimmune Suppression Mechanism New Clue To Lupus

RSS Bot
02-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Researchers at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Cambridge, Mass., in collaboration with Jackson Laboratory scientists, have identified a regulatory defect that drives lupus...

More... (http://mnt.to/f/3QRs)

Linda From Australia
02-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Well I am sure that someone who is more knowledgeable to Lupus will understand this research paper. I was wondering what this sentence means?

The new paper, Roopenian explains, is the first to demonstrate the potential breakdown of this suppression mechanism in lupus. "Overcoming this defect," he says, "offers a potential approach prevent lupus."

Does that mean that there is a posibility that something can be done to prevent Lupus from developing, and if we already have Lupus, then it is too late? Or am I totally on the wrong track?

SandyR
02-07-2011, 07:17 AM
I read it like this - Lupus is caused by an overactive immune system which is the result of a breakdown in our immune systems ability to supress itself when it is in contact with "good" cells. The research shows that correcting this system breakdown will become a future corrective therapy (I assume they mean with drugs) to treating (not curing) Lupus

rob
02-07-2011, 08:32 AM
I read it like this - Lupus is caused by an overactive immune system which is the result of a breakdown in our immune systems ability to supress itself when it is in contact with "good" cells. The research shows that correcting this system breakdown will become a future corrective therapy (I assume they mean with drugs) to treating (not curing) Lupus

Yes, this is how I read it too. Interesting stuff.

Peridot_Gem
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
I agree with SandyR, the drug would only be able to help people and my god it would need to be a strong drug because the autoimmune disease fights it's own body and you'd need something good to compat that.