PDA

View Full Version : Legit Question

VannaMazing
02-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Okay, I personally do not partake of any drugs, but i was wonder if anyone knows any information on medical marijuana and lupus, a lot of people have been asking me, since i live in AZ and it just became legal here. It's not my thing, but information never hurt anyone right?

rob
02-03-2011, 01:45 AM
A friend with weed is a friend indeed!

Seriously, it's not my thing either, but I do know two people, one with SLE, and one with MS, who both use medical marijuana. Both of them say that it helps them tremendously with Neuropathy/CNS related pain.

Rob

CanadianGal
02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I agree with Rob, a friend with weed is a friend indeed!

I have SLE and I have used it when I've had a bad flare--I find it works great! It takes away feelings of nausea and calms all my muscle pain and helps me sleep. Marijuana has been given a bad wrap because it is illegal in so many countries--including mine-Canada. But really, people need to get over the stereotypes and see that it is a drug that can help so many sick people without the side effects of the "legal" drugs prescribed to us. I'm glad to see that many doctors (in BC at least) are coming around to this same conclusion and are helping patients get the medical marijuana. It just seems like a no-brainer to me, helps so many symptoms with little to no side effects.

Hunniebun
02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
It gives me such a huge headache and makes me feel really weird, so although it would probably help me too, I don't think I want to get a perscription for it.

Psst CanadianGal, where in BC are you?

mountaindreamer
02-03-2011, 03:05 PM
hi vannamazing,

thanks for a chuckle while i struggle with yet another migraine....i have not been a good member, because i have not been welcoming the new members, so welcome to whl.....

now, the reason that i chuckled, is that i have been a member (i forgot for how long), and this is absolutely the first time that i have seen anyone bring up medical marijuanna.....so, welcome, welcome, welcome...you are going to be a great member. sometimes we do just come along and have a little fun here, and it is a good thing when we make each other chuckle. keep up the good work.

medical marijuanna - well, i have never had a prescription, but i vote with rob and canadiangirl, a friend with weed, is a friend indeed.

Pain medication can be so destructive to our systems, and we all take many natural supplements/vitamins, etc to offset the effects of all of our medications, so what is the harm in natural pain herb. Also, I don't believe that the occassional "calming" effect of marijuanna is necessarily a bad thing. We live each day with pain and also all of the stress that accompanies the pain. We live with watching our bodies and our lives just deteriorate before our eyes. We watch our friends run because they don't know how to help us....and the list goes on....The occassional peace of mind and body from use of "medical" marijuanna can help the day be a little better.

So, A Friend with WEED, IS a Friend Indeed.

again, vannamazing, welcome to our "family of the sky"....i will be watching for another chuckle.

tgal
02-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Funny Story....

When my mom had cancer someone told her that weed would help with the nausea from chemo and other things so this friend of the family brought her two joints. I get a phone call from mom asking me to come over while she smoked it because she knew I had when I was younger and didn't want to be by herself. So off I go to my moms and she lights up the joint and begins to smoke it like a cig. I say NOOOO Mom. You don't treat it like a cigarette. You inhale slightly, hold and release. So she did this about 3 times and put it out. 10 minutes later my mom begins to hold her head and swaying as she says "OMG what is this. OMG what have I done. Oh Lord if you just make this feeling go away I promise to never do this again!". Needless to say I am laughing by this point but terror is overtaking her. "get me to bed Mari. Just get me to bed!". So I help her out of her chair and up the steps. I hold her until we make it to the hospital bed that is now in her room and get her laid down. Once I know she is safe and comfortable I sit down beside her as she begins again praying "Oh Lord Jesus! I PROMISE to never try this again no matter how much they say it will help if you just let me live through this".

Needless to say she did live through the pot although the cancer final killed her. I have to admit it was the funniest thing I have ever seen and I am so glad that I was the one called to watch!

mountaindreamer
02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
oh, mari,

what a wonderful memory....funny memories are such a gift after we loose loved ones. My dear friend was taken by cancer, and she tried pot for nausea and pain...she called on me to help her too, but with a different outcome....she loved it, and offered a hit to all visitors.

serand4
02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
I take narcotics for my pain. If I didn't, I would surely have killed myself by now. Believe me, I have given HUGE consideration to pot. My only concern is how to use it other than to smoke it. My lungs are shot and since I quite smoking nearly 8 years ago, I don't want to use it in that manner. It stays prominently in the back of my mind for the future. I just blew my syatic nerve two weeks ago and this pain is unbelievable so if I thought pot would help, I would certainly give it serious consideration. I didn't like it as a teen but I sure ain't a teen now! Percocet is essentially heroine (according to the discovery channel) so I guess I'm already in the deep end!

With all that I've been through in the past several months and all the difficult times my friends at WHL have been through, smoking a little dope to take the pain away and someway/somehow relax, I would fall in the supportive category!

magistramarla
02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
What a fun thread!
Rob, I'm surprised that this is the first time that medical marijuana has been mentioned here at WHL. I've seen several threads about it at both the Sjogren's site and the AVN site.
I've never tried it in my life, but I'm like the rest of you - I'm in so much pain with muscle spasms that I would like to give it a try. Here in Ca, there are places that sell it mixed in all kinds of food, including ice cream. My lungs could never take smoking anything, so I'd be tempted to try it in ice cream. I wish I was brave enough to try to get a prescription for it!
I'm allergic to opioids and I can't take steroids, so I don't have many choices left.
If we could all get together, it would be an interesting party, wouldn't it?
Hugs,
Marla

SandyR
02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
What a fun thread!
Rob, I'm surprised that this is the first time that medical marijuana has been mentioned here at WHL. I've seen several threads about it at both the Sjogren's site and the AVN site.
I've never tried it in my life, but I'm like the rest of you - I'm in so much pain with muscle spasms that I would like to give it a try. Here in Ca, there are places that sell it mixed in all kinds of food, including ice cream. My lungs could never take smoking anything, so I'd be tempted to try it in ice cream. I wish I was brave enough to try to get a prescription for it!
I'm allergic to opioids and I can't take steroids, so I don't have many choices left.
If we could all get together, it would be an interesting party, wouldn't it?
Hugs,
Marla

That'd be some party! We'd be standing around in a big circle holding spoons saying "hey man, pass the ice cream". Appropriate - spoonies holding spoons at a pain management party and all

VannaMazing
02-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Lol, wow, i really did not expect all this when i posted it. It just became legal here in Arizona, my family totally supports me in any ways that will make me feel better, but as far as doing it all the time, i dont think i could deal with that, but i could certainly use some "brownies" with "ice cream" on top if you know what i mean! i wish we could all get together, we should have a convention or something. I'll bring the brownies is you bring the ice cream? lol

serand4
02-05-2011, 02:15 PM
I actually got a case of the giggles over that vision!

rob
02-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Lol, wow, i really did not expect all this when i posted it. It just became legal here in Arizona, my family totally supports me in any ways that will make me feel better, but as far as doing it all the time, i dont think i could deal with that, but i could certainly use some "brownies" with "ice cream" on top if you know what i mean! i wish we could all get together, we should have a convention or something. I'll bring the brownies is you bring the ice cream? lol

We should probably have some dinner before we indulge in dessert. Is pot pizza a possibility?

lovehubby
02-05-2011, 08:31 PM
were in Az. do u live I live in Lake Havasu City Az and the simmers kill me

magistramarla
02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
We should probably have some dinner before we indulge in dessert. Is pot pizza a possibility?

Rob,
My ex-son-in-law makes a good home-made salsa, and a friend of his in Colorado who sells medical MJ buys it from him and mixes in the pot.
If it works in salsa, it ought to work in pizza sauce, too!
This party could really get interesting!
Hugs,
Marla

mountaindreamer
02-06-2011, 03:28 PM
i just think this would be the best party in the whole world....what a vision......a group of lupies sitting around with spoon in hand as a bowl of ice cream is passed around the circle....and everyone is getting loopie....i love it. and besides, a little laughter is sometimes the best cure.

by the way, the pill form of pot is Meredol, and i am trying very hard to get the nerve to ask my pcp tomorrow for a prescription. I hope i get the nerve. By the way, my cousin who is a female state trooper in mississippi told me the name of the pot pill - Meredol. there is some serious humor is that statement. She also told me that i should defnitely smoke pot for pain. she is one of the few people who sees all of my pain, and who understands what is happening to my life.

back to the fun....i love this thread.

debbie-b
02-06-2011, 06:24 PM
With all the problems I am having, most meds don't help and the ones that do hurt my liver, maybe pot will be my last resort sooner than later. Because right now I am on nothing, Plaquenil was stopped, Nsaids hurt my stomach, MTX and Flexeril hurt my liver, I AM IN PAIN.
Right now I would take anything that would take this pain away.

Debbie

magistramarla
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Phyllis,
I hope that you do ask for the Meredol, and then you could report back to the rest of us if it helps and if there are any side effects.
You go, girl!
Hugs,
Marla

VannaMazing
02-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah, you could totally mix it with sauce. I'm sure you would mix it with everything. We seriously need to have a convention.
And Michele, I live in Buckeye, Which is close to phoenix, but I have heard of some plans to go up there this summer. I know sun is bad for us, but hey, The summertime and the heat is my favorite part about living in az!

mountaindreamer
02-07-2011, 08:44 PM
i got the nerve,

hi everyone, i went to see my pcp today, and i got the nerve to ask about Meredol. she said that it is not legal in georgia for medicinal purposes, only oncologists can prescribe for cancer patients.

however, she went off the record, quit typing into her computer, and said that she believes in the medicinal qualities of marijuana, and that she would rather have me smoke pot than to take more narcotics for pain. she was totally supportive of smoking pot for pain control. she especially said that it is very helpful for severe/chronic headaches.

she said we have to get these migraines under control, so she prescribed a preventive med - amitriptyline - which is actually an anti-depressent, but is used for the prevention of migraines...anyone with info and/or experience with this med, please share your knowledge with us. I am starting the amitriptyline tonight, and she has referred me to the "best headache dr. in atlanta."

she is concerned about my thyroid, cause i have lost 30 pounds and am not exercising or dieting....food just is not very good to me anymore, and i can only take a couple of bites before i start to feel the cramps in my lower abdomen.

so, final conculsion.....pot is OK.

tgal
02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I take amitriptyline ever day. Many on this board do as it is prescribed for people with Fibromyalgia since it has a known affect of helping with chronic pain. Nor sure how much amitip. you will be taking but the first couple of weeks you may have trouble getting up in the morning and feel tired all day but that goes away as your body gets use to it. It does help with the "omg another night of not sleeping" issue so many of us have. My daughter is actually on 25 mil. for chronic pain and sleep since they are now watching her for autoimmune issues.

Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes

VannaMazing
02-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Thats awesome that you asked your doctor about it! My only concern is the smoke, we have like bad lungs right? i'm thinking of asking my doctor, I just got my first bad stomach cramps today, Its been awful all day. I need something for it.

BonusMom
02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
I've never smoked pot but since I've been having increased restless leg/arm/body problems and not sleeping well, I actually told my hubby that I'm ready to try almost anything including "medicinal marijuana" to calm my body at night. Hubby thinks it would make me even more sluggish in the morning than I already am. Perhaps I wouldn't be so sluggish if I got a good night's sleep????

It's definitely something worth discussing with my docs if the prescription stuff has side effects that are just as bad as the medical condition you're trying to get relief from.

Here I've lost a good amount of weight and now I'm actually considering something that would surely pack the pounds back on.....where's the justice?

BonusMom
02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
BTW, I make a mean brownie sundae!!!!

SandyR
02-11-2011, 09:17 AM
so, final conculsion.....pot is OK.

Nancy Reagan must be dying on the inside with the emergence of proof of the medicinal benefits of certain drugs. At least she can still hang onto the crack is whack platform.

rob
02-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Nancy Reagan must be dying on the inside with the emergence of proof of the medicinal benefits of certain drugs. At least she can still hang onto the crack is whack platform.

That's funny-I almost spilled my drink!

jmail
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm sure that Nancy's a user herself, these days... tic