PDA

View Full Version : Social Security Benefit's...denied. >:o

ashleybaby715
01-28-2011, 08:53 PM
hey everyone! i hope all is well! i would like to just vent for a minute or two, cuz honestly, i'm really upset about this situation i am in. i applied for social security benefits, to help pay for medical expenses and what not, seeing as how i dont have a year long job, and i have school expenses to pay for. all of that tends to add up to a pretty big bill.

i went through the LONGGG application process, and then did the phone interview. they contacted Childrens Hospital as well as my pediatrician (everyone who dealt with my diagnosis and what not)
my parents got a letter yesterday in the mail ( i live on campus, so i had it sent there instead) and it said that i was denied because my diagnosis of Lupus won't in any way stop me from living a normal life and working just like the average person.

....what i don't understand is why drug addicts and people with conditions that are not anywhere near life threatening can get this money...but i get denied ?
needless to say, i now have to contact a lawyer to fight this for me.
but its stress that i don't need, at all ! UGHHH !
i was wondering if anyone else had to deal with this????

tgal
01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
I seriously hate the SS Administration. I too have been denied and I am in the appeals process. Below you will find a link with a list of "approved diagnosis" from the SS for people over 18 and then the one for people under 18.

Over 18

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm

Under 18

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/ChildhoodListings.htm

I have been fighting since July of last year and just was turned down initially in Dec. I hope you have better luck and that the above information is helpful

ashleybaby715
01-28-2011, 09:22 PM
thanks !
it really makes me mad !! my mom tried to get it for me when i was first diagnosed when i was 16 but they went off my moms income and since we own 2 houses (even though its not like we make anything off of it) they said we didn't qualify.
but she said that whenever i turned 18 to try again and i would get it forsure, because i really don't have a steady income or anything. but i still got denied.
ughh. when i go home next weekend i'm going to be calling a lawyer. its just so frustrating !

Hunniebun
01-28-2011, 09:24 PM
It won't affect you in any way from having a normal life as much as the next person? Are you FLIPPING kidding me?! Why is disability so messed up in the US? I was able to get on it within 2 months, provincial disability, and I was also invited (yep, invited) to apply for federal disability just to see what happens, and I can be on BOTH of them at the same time if I get approved.

It's a life long, devastating disease, and their reason for denial is complete BS in my opinion. I am really sorry you were denied and I hope something eventually works out for you.

ashleybaby715
01-28-2011, 09:28 PM
exactly ! they don't understand how much having lupus affects EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you do in life anymore ! because of lupus, i can't be the carefree teenager i used to be. i have to limit what i do and everything ! its sickening to think they don't think its a big deal !

i'm def not giving up on this ! i'm fighting for whats right!

magistramarla
01-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Hi Ashley,
Keep fighting it, kiddo. It seems that everyone has to apply and appeal a couple of times before getting approved.

I can't even ask for it, since I haven't paid into the SS system. Why??? The stupid school systems in Texas don't pay into SS.
Instead, they "opt out" of SS and have their own retirement system (which lost money big time in the economic downturn).
If I had remained there as a teacher long enough to take retirement from them, I would have been disqualified from receiving
SS spouse benefits. Since I've been my husband's "business partner" for nearly 35 years, that would not be right!
The Texas system is really messed up!

I'm just plain lucky that I'm covered under my hubby's excellent insurance.
Hugs,
Marla

ashleybaby715
01-28-2011, 10:07 PM
oh my Marla, thats crazy!
im happy that his insurance can cover everything for you :)
and trust me, i'm going to keep fighting!

kim,l
01-28-2011, 10:40 PM
i am sorry ashley the way you have been treated let them get lupus and see how it affects there lives i bet they would make sure they got there benifits keep fighting for your rights many hugs kim l

ashleybaby715
01-28-2011, 10:48 PM
kim, you're so right. if only they knew what its really like. ughhh!

rob
01-28-2011, 11:46 PM
and it said that i was denied because my diagnosis of Lupus won't in any way stop me from living a normal life and working just like the average person.

WTF?

Just when you think you've heard it all, some idiot comes along and says this. This has to be one of the most ignorant damn things I have ever read. Lupus is chronic, there is no cure, and it's sometimes fatal. But hey, don't let any of those trivial things stop you from working and living a normal life. Absolutely ridiculous.

I hope you can find lawyer to help you with this Ashley.

Rob

Angel Oliver
01-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Ashley this is insane.I am sorry you are going through this and hope your lawyer can get this reversed.It doesnt surprise me though as i to have been denied and im due to go to another tribunal soon.Goodluck with it all Ashley.
I love your hair,the new colour really looks fantastic woohoo!!

lots of love
Amanda.xxxx

ashleybaby715
01-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Rob, thats exactly what i thought as well. it really makes me mad that people will sit there and judge us saying that Lupus isn't a big deal, even though all the facts are out there now. But yeahh i can sure keep a regular job, even though most places don't allow you to take often breaks, and to miss a bunch of days due to being sick.
its outrageous ! ughh. just when i thought things were getting a little easier, it goes right back to stress !
- amanda- what did your denial letter say, if you don't mind me asking? and thankyou! i love this color too! its def a big change!! :]

ashleybaby715
01-29-2011, 01:30 PM
all of this applies to meee ! ugh !

14.01 Category of Impairments, Immune System Disorders

14.02 Systemic lupus erythematosus. As described in 14.00D1. With:

A. Involvement of two or more organs/body systems, with:

1. One of the organs/body systems involved to at least a moderate level of severity; and

2. At least two of the constitutional symptoms or signs (severe fatigue, fever, malaise, or involuntary weight loss).

OR

B. Repeated manifestations of SLE, with at least two of the constitutional symptoms or signs (severe fatigue, fever, malaise, or involuntary weight loss) and one of the following at the marked level:

1. Limitation of activities of daily living.

2. Limitation in maintaining social functioning.

3. Limitation in completing tasks in a timely manner due to deficiencies in concentration, persistence, or pace.

Angel Oliver
01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Because i have not got lupus dx yet which they took off n saying i may have it again...lol, my label is M.E.So i may recover,i can walk therefore should be in work therfore they really wasnt interested.My appeal is coming soon.
Even the fact i dont sleep often or at the wrong time.I have lack of concentration,i dont go out often,due to fatigue or pain,i was a receptionist/credit controller,but now can not talk to people i dont know so i panic,anxiety,breathless re the asthma, and also due to lock jaw,which i just finished laser on it hurts throbs n aches like hell so talking all day is a no no..Many more symptoms.....they said i do not qualify.Im dreading going through the appeal again,so im not thinking about it.4 people on a panel who make a decision about me....they dont even know me.Quick read ...whisper whisper...case dismissed.
So i know how mad it makes you so frustrating and unfair.Goodluck,keep fighting them,i am!! Yes you look so grown up and so different it really suits you,your hair.
lots of love
Amanda.xxxx

Bonita
01-29-2011, 06:12 PM
i am sorry to hear that you have such a problem with ss. I was lucky because i was on dissability from my back surgeries before i was diagnosised with lupus and polomyositis. I hope that you keep appealing and they will see that this is a serious diease. Bonita

mountaindreamer
01-30-2011, 12:15 PM
ashley,

you go girl....don't you dare give up. it is insane, but i understand that all applications are denied the first time...don't let these people make you feel that you are not worthy of ss benefits....you are a prime example of why we have this insurance, and it is insulting that they responded by saying you could "live a normal life." MAKES MY BOOD BOIL....

serand4
01-30-2011, 06:02 PM
I just got denied, too (got the letter today). I CANNOT believe it! I have letters from all of my primary doctors declaring that I am unable to work. I have Lupus, COPD, fibro, major back issues -- all listed in the "No" letter. What kind of work is it that I can do? All I can think is that they don't have all of the latest information, likely because my local ss rep didn't pass along the information I gave her. Praise God I feel semi decent and can get on it first thing tomorrow morning. My goodness, I might have five decent days a month, and by decent, I mean I can run a vacuum and maybe make a hot meal for my son. When I saw the no, I seriously wanted to storm the ss office, stand on a desk and rant for an hour on their pure stupidity! Of course, physically it's impossible for me but a girl has to dream! I took my son out to the mall today (first time in two months) to get a couple of shirts and am already barking up my lungs. Again, what job won't cause my lung condition to flare immediately?

Ashley, I feel your pain in a big way. No one, except those immediately affected by it, understand Lupus. Not affect your future opportunities? Really? Do these idiots know anything about the cognitive dysfunction we fight? I can just imagine doing my old job with my current brain! Or the sleep apnea many of us deal with? I can't even consider activities in the morning because I have to use my mornings for sleep - whatever I'm doing through the night can't be called sleep. I'm certainly not rested. Let's talk about the pain, the drugs, the neuropothy, the CONSTANT illnesses. Ooohhhh! It just infuriates me! I could deal with getting turned down over the fibro since it's new and most doctors don't have a handle on it, but Lupus -- for pete' sake, you mention the word and people recoil in horror. I have to remind my mom that I'm not going to die tomorrow, though there are times, like when I'm throwing up blood, you have to wonder.

Ashley, you and I are going to fight and win! If I get any good tips, I'll post them and please do the same. These dopes are going get educated -- at least in the state of MO!!

ashleybaby715
01-31-2011, 11:27 AM
I just got denied, too (got the letter today). I CANNOT believe it! I have letters from all of my primary doctors declaring that I am unable to work. I have Lupus, COPD, fibro, major back issues -- all listed in the "No" letter. What kind of work is it that I can do? All I can think is that they don't have all of the latest information, likely because my local ss rep didn't pass along the information I gave her. Praise God I feel semi decent and can get on it first thing tomorrow morning. My goodness, I might have five decent days a month, and by decent, I mean I can run a vacuum and maybe make a hot meal for my son. When I saw the no, I seriously wanted to storm the ss office, stand on a desk and rant for an hour on their pure stupidity! Of course, physically it's impossible for me but a girl has to dream! I took my son out to the mall today (first time in two months) to get a couple of shirts and am already barking up my lungs. Again, what job won't cause my lung condition to flare immediately?

Ashley, I feel your pain in a big way. No one, except those immediately affected by it, understand Lupus. Not affect your future opportunities? Really? Do these idiots know anything about the cognitive dysfunction we fight? I can just imagine doing my old job with my current brain! Or the sleep apnea many of us deal with? I can't even consider activities in the morning because I have to use my mornings for sleep - whatever I'm doing through the night can't be called sleep. I'm certainly not rested. Let's talk about the pain, the drugs, the neuropothy, the CONSTANT illnesses. Ooohhhh! It just infuriates me! I could deal with getting turned down over the fibro since it's new and most doctors don't have a handle on it, but Lupus -- for pete' sake, you mention the word and people recoil in horror. I have to remind my mom that I'm not going to die tomorrow, though there are times, like when I'm throwing up blood, you have to wonder.

Ashley, you and I are going to fight and win! If I get any good tips, I'll post them and please do the same. These dopes are going get educated -- at least in the state of MO!!

oh trust me, PA is gonna be getting a little taste of what I have to say as well. For me its just frustrating because I'm only 18 years old. I shouldn't have to be dealing with lawyers and fighting for something is designed for people like us. Its the judgemental idiots who work for SS that make this so difficult. Don't they realize that putting us in these stressful situations is a way to make us sicker than we already are? But of course, we still wouldn't qualify, because Lupus isn't a serious enough disease. I mean, it could only kill us...but apparenlty thats no big deal.
Its so annoying, i have so many other things to worry about like keeping up with all my work for school. Now I get to pile this ontop of everything else.
I will definetly keep everyone updated, and post tips if I find any as well.