PDA

View Full Version : Methotrexate - any personal experiences?

annie1
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, have been struggling to get onto the site over the past few months, but I am back now :)

Anyway, I have been recommended to start taking methotrexate in the next few weeks. I was just wondering if anyone here has / is taking this drug and has any personal experiences about side effects etc..? I have also been asked if I want to take the medication orally or via injection. I have read a bit on the net about this, but I am never sure what to believe. Any recommendations as to which is better?

Thanks guys :)

Love annie xx

tgal
01-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi Annie,

There is a discussion going on about Methotrexate right now. I thought it might help. I am posting the link below

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?9269-On-the-Methotrexate-Road-Again&highlight=meth

mountaindreamer
01-25-2011, 12:36 PM
hi annie,

i have been on methotrexate (mtx) for almost 2 years now. I take the injection, and don't seem to have as many stomach issues as those on the pill. The day after my shot is usually a crappy day, but by the following day, i feel fine and am ready to go.

mtx is a serious medication, and must be taken on the same day each week, and at about the same time. I take mine on monday night, and then i call tuesday "my weekly vacation". I don't plan anything for tuesday, so i can just rest that day without any guilt. Sometimes i am able to get out a little on tuesday, but usually not until the afternoon.

i have definitely seen an improvement in my ability to live an almost normal life since starting. my flares are not as frequent and are not as severe. Sometimes, i have a really bad flare, but not as much as i did before mtx.

my system does not tolerate steroids very well, so i use mtx as my aide to slow down the lupus progression. I feel that it has really helped me.