PDA

View Full Version : Hair thinning.

hating_that_pred
01-23-2011, 10:26 PM
My hair has thinned dramatically since upping the prednisolone. Do others get this reaction?

GoodDog
01-23-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm on Prednisone and my hair has thinned terribly. The only way I can wear it is not get it cut and pull it up with a small hairpiece/clip. It's disturbing but without Prednisone I can't stand the joint pain and horrible hives. Losing my vanity has become a must and it's upsetting.

hating_that_pred
01-24-2011, 12:05 AM
GoodDog, its not fun at all having your thinned because of medicine, when i got bac to 5mg a few months ago my hair returned to normal thickness. I hope i can get back to that dose soon.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
01-24-2011, 03:00 AM
i have the steriod injection instead of the tablets and thou my hair is thinning it is not to bad and the doctors with this new drug they want me to try for my lupus it should help that to its called azathioprine have you heard of it???

Nonna
01-24-2011, 03:52 AM
My hair started thinning years ago before the pred and lupus diagnosis. The pred has made it go faster. I am ready for a pixie hair cut and a wig. It's so thin I can not even grow it out to wear my hair pieces anymore.

Yuck!!!!!!.............

Need a bald headed smilie here. LOL

Nonna

~LUVMYFLOWERS~
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Hi Hating_that_pred,
And im with you on hateing the pred, They have me on 40mg a day and i already had bald spots and short broken hair all over my head, Plus they just put me on imuran, and it also causes hair loss!!!ARGGGG!! I heard several people speak of the a shampoo that thicken's hair and go's to the root shaft to stimulate and help with groth. So i went got me some, and for me it has helped
a lot . It dose thicken and make it fuller but cause of the lupus and med's i still have a few bald thinning spot's. the name is Nioxin #2 for noticeably thinning hair. I get mine at walmart salon.
I also use jojoba oil, or extra virgin olive oil, and raw unrefined honey to soak my scalp and hair
maby once every 2 weeks, it help's a lot the oils to moisten & keep from breaking so
bad, the raw honey has a nat antibotic in it, makes hair shiney & healthy.
Hope this help's !!! Have a great day!! Diane,

Bonita
01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I also hate the thinning hair but cannot do without the meds as long as i do not go bald because that would mean another diagnosis of depression. Bonita

chikititalinda
01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Hello ladies, I too as well as you am suffering with hair loss. My Dr told me to use biotin pills, they dont interact with meds. So far I've noticed less hair loss especially when I shower. I can't say it has stopped the hair loss yet but I can say I'm seeing results. Good luck!

serand4
01-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Mine has been coming out by the fingers' full since not long after my initial diagnosis. It could be the prednisone -- I wasn't sure if it wasn't just another AI issue. It's always "fun" to find new ways to hide the carnage. My bangs suffer the most which is a bummer because my eyes are always swollen from the meds so it's getting tougher and tougher to keep myself presentable!

GoodDog
01-24-2011, 06:21 PM
I know, serand4, it use to be I could hide my flaws with makeup and a hairpiece but now I barely have enough hair to clip a piece on to. And I can't wear wigs because I break out in terrible hives all over my head, neck and some of my face. It almost looks worse when I try to put on makeup especially eye makeup. it just draws attention to my problem. Thank heaven's for sun glasses! I have 2 older sisters and all our lives we competed to see who was the prettiest. I haven't seen them in years and don't imagine they would even recognize me. It's a shame to have been raised with so much (brain fart - can't think of the word) importance on how we look.

The other day someone commented on how nice I looked with my makeup on and what a good color my rouge was for my complexion. I didn't tell them I didn't have any on and the reason my wrinkles don't show any more is because my skin is so tight. The older I get the younger I look because of the tightness. I guess that's one thing to be happy about. LOL

BonusMom
01-24-2011, 10:09 PM
I just posted on another thread about Biotin. I just started taking it for hair loss due to Imuran. I would estimate a loss of 2/3 since starting Imuran in September. Luckily, I had long, thick hair before starting the meds, but I'm really get bummed about the hair loss. I know it's vain, but I've always been "known" for my thick, blonde hair. When you've lost so much due to a chronic illness, it's really difficult to lose yet another thing, even if it is "just hair."

GoodDog
01-24-2011, 11:20 PM
BonusMom, thanks for the info on Biotin. What strength do you take?

Nonna
01-25-2011, 01:42 AM
I just thought of something with all the talk of hair thinning. How's everyone's eyebrows? Mine are almost gone. I thought to use mascara on what's left so that they show up

BonusMom
01-25-2011, 07:06 AM
The Biotin is very inexpensive and is 1000 mcg. The bottle says to take 3-5 per day. I am taking 3 right now but may increase to 5, depending on my results.

GoodDog
01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks BonusMom.

I used to use my old mascara for my eyebrows. New ones are too messy and hard to make look natural. But now they're too thin to do that and the outer half is almost totally gone. I don't have any hair anywhere else on my body any more. At least I don't have to shave my legs and underarms.

Nonna
01-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks BonusMom.

I used to use my old mascara for my eyebrows. New ones are too messy and hard to make look natural. But now they're too thin to do that and the outer half is almost totally gone. I don't have any hair anywhere else on my body any more. At least I don't have to shave my legs and underarms.

Same here.

oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles

kim,l
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
my hair is thinning badly its comes out in clumps i am getting used to it

tgal
01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Add me to this list. Mine is thinning now not coming out in patches like it did at first and not just the normal hair loss everyone has. Each night when I take a bath my hair FILLS the drain. When I am towel drying my hair more ends up on the floor and when i am resting I will usually find hair on my pillow. I can't run my fingers through my hair without getting a hand full. I don't take meds that say I will lose my hair so I am not sure what is going on.

Tonight is a yucky night so I am going to stop or this will turn into a long whine!

GoodDog
01-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Well Mari, you can whine here...remember? LOL Since you're always here for everyone let us always be here for you too.

chikititalinda
01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Mari I agree with Good dog, as far as the bioting mine is 3000 and I only take it once a day.

kwolfsheimer
01-26-2011, 08:45 AM
My hair also started thinning very noticeably several years ago before the drugs. I was in the pool and came up out of the water and my son screamed "you're bald!" I went to the bathroom and yep--- I was bald. I just hadn't noticed how bad it was.

I've tried the Nioxin, but it makes your hair really dry and puffy. I just decided to let it go. I let my hair get longer and I do the "combover" on the top. Funny thing is that I have about 15 wigs that I bought over the years as a lark to wear for fun (some girlfriends and I would get dressed up and go out). It's nice to have a style that you can just plop on and look great. But my hair matches my face-- tired. With the wigs on, if I am sick, then I look ever sicker, like a chemo patient. So I keep it natural for work.

Nonna
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
My hair also started thinning very noticeably several years ago before the drugs. I was in the pool and came up out of the water and my son screamed "you're bald!" I went to the bathroom and yep--- I was bald. I just hadn't noticed how bad it was.

I've tried the Nioxin, but it makes your hair really dry and puffy. I just decided to let it go. I let my hair get longer and I do the "combover" on the top. Funny thing is that I have about 15 wigs that I bought over the years as a lark to wear for fun (some girlfriends and I would get dressed up and go out). It's nice to have a style that you can just plop on and look great. But my hair matches my face-- tired. With the wigs on, if I am sick, then I look ever sicker, like a chemo patient. So I keep it natural for work.

My hair is so thin after it falling out for 30 years, I am going to look like a chemo patient gonna make it short short so I stop looking scraggly
LOL Nonna

ashleybaby715
01-28-2011, 09:04 PM
hi there hating_that_pred
right before i got diagnosed with Lupus, i noticed when i was in the shower, my very long blonde hair was coming out as i rinsed my shampoo/ conditioner. and when i combed it, the comb would be FULL of hair.
it got to the point where i would run my fingers through my hair and i would have handfuls of hair.
i was 16 years old at the time, so to be losing my hair while being a junior in highschool, broke my heart.

after being diagnosed (about 3 weeks after noticing my hair falling out) i was put on many different meds. including Prednisone. they started me on 40 mg. after taking it, not only did my face expand like no other (and beign a very thin girl, this made me feel very self concious) but my hair started falling out at a more rapid pace. my hair was really long, almost to my elbows. and since it thinned so bad, i had to cut it to right above my shoulders. it totally killed my hair. and it broke my heart to cut it. but it made it look alot better. now i am on 5 mg daily and my hair is totally back to normal. it just takes time.
i let it get to me, but just remember, you're still beautiful with our without all of your hair :D

ashleybaby715
01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
and bonusmom ....trust me, i was the same way. i was at a point where my kidneys were failing, my heart and liver enlarged. i had fluid around my heart and lungs and arthritis in all of my joints, as well as a fever, rapid weight loss and anemia....yet my biggest concern was ''am i going to be bald?''

i used to hate how thick my hair was when i was in like middle school, but now i miss it soo much.
my hairs def gaining its thickness back, but i wish it was how it used to be.