PDA

View Full Version : need food help- actual problem is in the first sentance XD

wolfwhisper
01-18-2011, 12:21 AM
My overall question is "Does anyone know what I can safely eat on a nervous stomach"? Sorry for dumping this on you guys. Just thought I'd explain how I ended up in the situation. This has never happened before, so I don't know if the problem can effect what I can eat (although I very highly doubt it, I want to cover all of the basics).

first what happened:
My "uncle" has been staying on our couch. He has cancer and has just had colon cancer removal just before/after christmas. In 3 weeks, he's supposed to go back to the hospital to see if he's strong enough for chemo. Yesterday on 1/17/2011 at around -4am, me and my friend heard him groan in pain and a loud thump. Something we hear every night, and we believed the thump was something he dropped off of the table. Just before 5am I went to bed, and he said good night. Didn't notice anything wrong with him. I was laying in bed and I heard him bump into my door followed by a clear and audible "damn". I thought he might have stubbed his toe, since he then turned on the kitchen light and was rummaging around. After a few minutes (don't know how much time passed/passes) and I hear a series of several thumps. I was concerned about this, but it was followed by his moans and I thought he knocked something off the table. I was going to get up and ask if he needed help, but next thing I knew, I was out like a light. I wake up just before 10am to a lot of noise. Came out of the room to find the paramedics and fire rescue in my house. Turns out that at some point, he'd ended up on the floor, and the thumping noise I'd heard was him opening and closing the door to my friends room. I believe I heard him say "Binh", but I can't be sure. Like I said, it was just passed 5am. probably around 9:30 when I heard the last of the thumping. He was rushed to the hospital where we found out that they believe the cancer spread to his brain causing hemmoraging which then caused him to have a stroke.

The problem:
After the ambulance and my parents left, I kept thinking "If only I'd checked on him when I heard the noise". My friend informed me that he was coherent when she first found him, but started to slur before becoming unresponsive. Because of what she told me, I realize that there was nothing I could have done, even if I did find him. It would have been the same. About 2 hours later, me and Binh ate lunch and I felt fine. After dinner, about 10pm, I felt a bit of a stomach ache so I took a tums. At about 12am, I'm out the door losing my dinner. My mom says it's from nerves. I had a few chips, and it seems they stayed down. I was hoping anyone might know of something I can eat without running to the bathroom or front yard (whichever is closest at the time lol)?

Kind of ranting at myself. Sorry about that. Anyway, this is my problem in a very detailed nutshell. If you've happened to read this far, thank you. I'm worried about him, but we have been expecting the worst for a while now. Everything from here on out will depend on a miracle.

Han
01-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Hey WW,

Don't beat yourself up. As for food, try eating little amounts often rather than sitting down to a whole meal, and think bland - steamed chicken, rice and veg, avoid fatty food. You could even focus on thin soups for a day or two if that's all your body wants to handle. I had terrible problems eating when I was stressed/depressed/anxious. Worrying about food just adds to the viscious cycle.

Huge hugs, sounds like you need it.

rob
01-18-2011, 01:12 AM
Definitely don't beat yourself up over this-you did nothing wrong. As for food, Han has given some good suggestions. I've had terrible stress related stomach problems in the past. Fatty and fried foods were the worst for me. I always like to have yogurt when my stomach acts up, and chicken soup or rice is good too. Have you considered taking an anti-nausea med like Dramamine? I've had good results with it. People think it's just for motion sickness, but it works for non-motion related nausea well too.

Rob

ETA: Many people say Ginger-Ale helps them with nausea, though it's never really worked for me personally. Something to try anyway.

Nonna
01-18-2011, 04:20 AM
As everyone has said, don't beat yourself up. I know this is hard to do; try to though.

As for food, saltine crackers, nibble on them. I find macroni and cheese work well for me, broth soups, flat coke is as supposed to help. Stick to small amounts every four hours or so. Bland... Bland, stay away from spicy and fried. Mashed potatoes and gravy is another that works for me

hope this helps,
nonna

tgal
01-18-2011, 07:00 AM
I agree with everyone else. I am going to bring my mom into this (again) and tell you what she always told me "Don't borrow trouble". You have enough going on now that you can't play the "what if" game. You did nothing wrong and you can't beat yourself up over something that you don't even know would have been much different.

As for food, once again, everyone is correct. Bland foods. No fats. Small portions. A natural remedy for upset stomachs is (I know this works because I did it while I was preggers) is to grate and apple and let it sit until it begins to turn brown. Eat about half of it and set the rest aside. If your stomach is still upset about 20 min later eat the rest.

Hope this helps and remember... All we can do is the best we can do. Hugggs to you

wolfwhisper
01-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for everything guys. Most of these things I've never thought about. Never heard about the flat soda, and wouldn't have thought about the mac&cheese. I'll be sure to get yogurt and more saltines, too. I'm going to try the broth soup with saltines and see if that helps for dinner. For some reason, I never thought about the ginger ale or saltines. So I guess my "snacks" every little while will consist of these.

Mari, thanks for your "mom" talk. I was playing the "I should have" game (my stomach playing more than my mind I suppose), a relative of "what if", and it isn't fun. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Never knew about the apple, and I'll be sure to go buy one today to try it out.

Hugs to everyone.

mountaindreamer
01-18-2011, 10:13 AM
hi wolfwhisper,

so sorry to hear of your uncle, i hope the drs. are able to help him get into a peaceful place. as others have said, don't beat up on yourself....you could not have prevented the inevitable.

as far as foods,,,,,whenever my stomach is in turmoil, i stay on the BRAT diet for a couple of days, and things always settle down....the BRAT diet is Bananas, rice, apples, and toast. I usually just eat a bowl of jasmine rice, and this really helps. I avoid anything high in fat, fried, and/or rich in seasoning.

i hope you feel better really soon, and i will keep your uncle in my thoughts.

tgal
01-18-2011, 10:20 AM
BRAT diet. I will have to remember that! Thanks Phyllis!

wolfwhisper
01-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Not that this really matters...The doctors don't think my "uncle" would survive the surgery for the hemmorage, so they are going to let him pass peacefully. They think that even if he did survive the surgery, he wouldn't have movement or be able to do anything by himself. His brother decided to let him go and we all stand by that decision. We know it's what he would want. Just heard the news through the door. It will be easier to pass by my parents now though. Later they'll try to tell me of the decision, but I can say "I know". For some reason, I find it easier that way. Is that running from reality?

SandyR
01-19-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. That must have been very hard for you. You are not running from reality at all. It's easier to accept a situation knowing that you did all you could do and you did. There was nothing you could have done differently to change what happened to your uncle and I'm sorry for your family's pain and grief. I think it's a beautiful thing your family (blood or not) is honoring your uncle and putting his needs and desires first by not choosing a painful, possibly fatal, surgery just for their needs. I'm sure if your uncle could speak with you right now he would not want you to continue carrying this feeling of guilt. Put it down. You already know your uncle is a great man who obviously loved you and was sick. If he could talk to you he would probably tell you how happy he is to not be sick and in pain anymore. You were a good niece to him and I am sure he appreciated how you were helping him. I think one of the most selfless and hardest things we can do in this life is to honor a loved one when we say goodbye to them as they leave this world. I believe strongly we will see our loved ones again and that they come and see us in dreams and signs. Praying for you. (((hugs)))

tgal
01-19-2011, 09:07 AM
*hugs* I know this is hard for you but as we discussed earlier "don't borrow trouble". I firmly believe that "the best we can do is the best we can do" which just means don't second guess yourself. You didn't do anything wrong and if saying "I know" is the best way for you to handle this then it is the right thing for you. When my mom was ill and died my siblings and I all handled it very differently. I was there 24/7 and was her nurse. One brother came and stayed but didn't really go in with mom but he kept meals cooked. Another brother stayed away. He couldn't handle what was happening. None of us were wrong. We did the best we could do and that is all that anyone can ask of another. Give yourself a break. Allow yourself to be human and to handle grief your way and don't expect yourself to handle it the way you believe it should be handled.

We are here for you. Don't forget to take care of yourself through this. We love you

Nonna
01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Every one has give you good advice on your feelings. I'll add one thing about that night. When you are sick like we are and you're sleeping in a half sleep; your mind may be awake, but your body is not. It sometimes will not respond and you'll sleep before you can react.

I totally forgot about the BRAT diet. My daughter swears by it.

Hugs Sweetheart,
Good thoughts and prayers,
Nonna

magistramarla
01-20-2011, 09:06 PM
WW,
I'm very sorry to hear about your uncle and the rough time that your family is going through.
Try to take good care of yourself, sweetie. The BRAT diet is good - we've used it on small children for years.
Also, chamomile tea is soothing for tummies. When I worked for a midwife, we'd suggest raspberry leaf tea for
pregnant ladies with nausea. Since it's soothing and strengthening, it might help you, too.
Sending lots of hugs your way,
Marla