PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning house -- the mess is piling up

Islablue
01-15-2011, 11:06 AM
How do you find energy to do this? I feel like I'm wiping the counter or picking up after myself all the time, but then I don't do it for a day and my house is a wreck. I'm so tired after work I really cannot muster the energy to even get up off the couch. How do you find energy to do it? I want to do it today, but then again I don't. I know I would feel like I unloaded a huge monkey off my back if I did... but I'm so tired all the time. My hubby is worn out after work because he has a physical job so I hate asking him to do much. I don't know .. I never let my house get like this before Lupus. It was cleaned every week like clockwork.

kim,l
01-15-2011, 03:34 PM
dear islablue it takes a long time to realise that we can no longer do the things we used to do i found this very difficult i hated that i could not clean the house everyday and now i justhave to accept that i do what i can and pace myself and leave the rest something that would take me 10 minutes now takes an hour but we learn to accept it we have no choice unless you have a housekeeper hopefully your husband understands that this illness changes us all even them and they have to adjust there way of life to goodluck and know your health is more important than the house work hugs kiml

debbie-b
01-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I know how you feel. I too work full time and it is a very physical job, when I come home I am wiped out.
If I want to do anything, I have to do it as soon as I walk into the door, if I sit down, forget it, most of the time I can't even get up, at least for a while.
I do cook every night, well 6 days a week, one day is pizza day.
My husband does about 80 % of the house work. But when I have a good day, like today, I cleaned like a mad woman, cooked and even baked my hubby his favorite chocolate cake.
The cleaning my husband does, is well, a mans way of cleaning, ( ok guys don't hurt me). He does the dishes, he will vacuum, but he will not dust,lol, he'll sweep the kitchen, but he will not mop. He says it's not nessecary. He does the laundry, I showed him how I want it done.

I am very greatful that he does all those things he does, but sometimes the house needs deep cleaning, that is what I did today. My furniture is shiny again and I can't write " pig" into the dust anymore.
He will be mad at me when he comes home from work today, because I went over board today.
I am pooped now, but I am happy, that I have a clean house.
But if I go for a long time, without having a good day, I let it go. It used to drive me crazy, when my house was not up to my standarts, but when I am feeling sick or I am in pain, I don't care if there is dust on my furniture.
So relax, if it is not squeaky clean, who cares.
You have to learn to relax, I had to.

Debbie

Saysusie
01-15-2011, 10:42 PM
When I was working, I scrimped and saved in order to PAY someone to help me clean my house because, like you, I just did not have the energy to do it. I sacrificed other things in order to pay for the housekeeper because not being able to do it myself (and having to look at it) only caused me stress which, in turn, aggravated my Lupus. It was hard enough for me to go to work every day, cleaning house was almost an impossibility.
So, I figured that the sacrifice, scrimping, and saving to have a housekeeper was well worth the money!! I'm not sure if this is possible for you at all. If it is, perhaps this will be a good way to solve the problem.

If not, please remember that your health is so much more important than the state of your house. I know that it is an issue for us to have our homes clean, but we must learn how to prioritize our chores so that we do not over exert ourselves and/or cause ourselves undue stress. I hope that you are able to find a workable solution. I wish you the very best :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Back in Texas, my house used to be cleaned top to bottom every two weeks, like clockwork, because my wonderful housekeeper came every other Tuesday!
I left $50 on the counter when I left for school, and came home to a clean and sweet-smelling house. How I miss Lisa!!!

Now we live in a much smaller place, and I've learned to ignore a lot that I otherwise would have been upset about. I cook every day because I love, love, love to cook.
My hubby very willingly cleans the kitchen after my cooking frenzies. I do the laundry, but it often takes me most of the day to do it - and there are only the two of us!

Jeff has a nice way to take a break from his studying. He grabs the broom and sweeps while he "lets his brain cool down" and thinks about what he has studied. With two cats, he is always sweeping up cat hair. Like Debbie's DH, mine is also reluctant to mop, dust or deep clean. When I have a good day, and I know that I don't have plans for a day or so after, I'll tackle those things myself.

I plan to give the house a very thorough cleaning through Feb. and March. I'm going to host my "Gourmet Groupies" social group in April. I'll have it shining for a short time, then it will be back to ignoring it.
Hugs,
Marla

Hunniebun
01-16-2011, 12:01 AM
I clean my house everyday so it doesn't get to a point where it is exhausting to clean. It also bothers me a lot when things are dirty, I can't stand it, so that helps get me motivated and keep me going. I can only go for so long until I have to sit down and take a nap though. I can't afford to hire a maid nor would I really want to as I don't want a strange person in my house, as I don't leave it much and it would make me feel awkward.