PDA

View Full Version : react to tomatoes?

MorrisonGal
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Does anyone else have SLE issues when they eat tomatoes? I know some foods like dairy and eggs cause flares for me - if I eat an ice cream shake I can just plan on staying in bed the next day. But lately I seem to be reacting to fresh tomatoes, too.

Nonna
01-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Hi, reactions to certain foods seem to vary with people. I for one have found myself reacting badly to the acid in tomatoes at the moment. IBS gets going full blast a half hour afterwards. I can't tell you don't eat them, I have little willpower when it comes to food. I seem to rather suffer through it than give up a food I love. Shame on me.

I googled Lupus and food reactions and there are some very interesting articles, too many to pick from to post a link. Check them out

hugs
nonna

magistramarla
01-14-2011, 10:37 AM
My second child was highly reactive to foods when she was a baby. I was totally nursing her, but she would react if I ate tomatoes and a whole list of other foods.
I had to go onto a highly restricted diet while I nursed her, and I nursed her for two years to avoid problems.
As an older child, she was lactose intolerant and still reacted to acidic foods, but seemed to grow out of it as a teen.

Now that she is 31, she's highly lactose intolerant again, and has been dx'd with gluten intolerance. She also has poly-cystic ovarian syndrome, and has been told that she is pre-diabetic. Diabetes doesn't run in our family, either.
IMO, this is autoimmune issues striking again. Hillary just has it differently from her old Mom.

Nonna, my fourth child, Kayla, was dx'd with IBS. (So was her cat - LOL) Now, both KK and Gizmo are on special diets!
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
My second child was highly reactive to foods when she was a baby. I was totally nursing her, but she would react if I ate tomatoes and a whole list of other foods.
I had to go onto a highly restricted diet while I nursed her, and I nursed her for two years to avoid problems.
As an older child, she was lactose intolerant and still reacted to acidic foods, but seemed to grow out of it as a teen.

Now that she is 31, she's highly lactose intolerant again, and has been dx'd with gluten intolerance. She also has poly-cystic ovarian syndrome, and has been told that she is pre-diabetic. Diabetes doesn't run in our family, either.
IMO, this is autoimmune issues striking again. Hillary just has it differently from her old Mom.

Nonna, my fourth child, Kayla, was dx'd with IBS. (So was her cat - LOL) Now, both KK and Gizmo are on special diets!
Hugs,
Marla

Your second child sounds like she should be mine. the now that's she's 31 sounds just like me

special diets huh? this food-o-holic can't seem to stop eating the things she shouldn't

LOL that's life,
nonna

Saysusie
01-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Just a quick note to add to the information you've already received. With reference to Lupus and tomatoes..Foods high in histamine, such as tomatoes, have been blamed for exacerbations of Lupus symptoms. This is not true of every Lupus patient, as we all react to the disease differently. However, if you notice that your symptoms become worse (on multiple occasions) after ingesting tomatoes, then by all means, limit your intake.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Nonna
01-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Wow , Susie
histamines in food???? I didn't know that. I'll have to start taking my antihistamine regularly again
thanks for the info
nonna

SandyR
01-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Hugs,
Marla

Your second child sounds like she is me!

magistramarla
01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Your second child sounds like she is me!
Your second child sounds like she should be mine. the now that's she's 31 sounds just like me

LOL that's life,
nonna

Does this mean we're all related?

Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
01-17-2011, 04:36 AM
who knows have any German and Italian in your background ?
Tee hee lol would not that be funny if somewhere in the past we all had common ancestors

MorrisonGal
01-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll have to google some articles, Nonna.

magistramarla
01-20-2011, 09:43 PM
who knows have any German and Italian in your background ?
Tee hee lol would not that be funny if somewhere in the past we all had common ancestors

Nonna,
LOL. Over on the Sjogren's site, there was a wonderful thread called "SJS - the Viking Warrior's Disease". It seems that some researcher in Europe had reached the conclusion that Sjogren's may have originated with the Vikings and was spread throughout Northern Europe by them. It sort of makes sense - an over-reactive immune system would come in handy for guys who are traveling about, looting and marauding. SJS symptoms tend to get really bad in the 4th or 5th decade, but hey, by then those guys had spread their genes and were at the end of their lifetimes.
As for me, it makes sense. My mother's side of the family had all of these AI symptoms, and the McWilliams family came to the U.S from Scotland - a prime place for those pesky Vikings to have spread their nasty Autoimmune genes.
It's a good theory, and I'm sticking with it!!!
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
01-21-2011, 03:47 AM
That would also explain how the Germans got it too. Close "contact with Vikings". Tee hee. Great theory

SandyR
01-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Well my mom's mom was Irish and that's about as far North we go as far as I know but since parts of Ireland and Scotland are not too distant, there might be a connection.