PDA

View Full Version : i hate migraines

mountaindreamer
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
hi everyone,

I have been fighting a migraine for over a week now, so i went to my dr. this morning and she gave me a steroid shot....can't take the pain killer shot because i am allergic to non-steroidal anti inflammatory (NSAIDS). I am loading up on Imitrex.....hope the combination gives me some relief really soon.

oh, a comical note"""""" when i went to my dr., her little receptionist/patient care person said to me "you know that if you can't get these migraines under control, that you will have to go to a neurologist"....seriously.....i almost laughed.

he is a relly nice and helpful guy, i think he was just trying to be fatherly.....I don't need a father right now, i need for this headache to go away.....ha ha ha.

happy new year everyone......

wrightrs
01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Migraines make me so lupie. They don't need to talk down to you. They just need to help you feel better. I hate when the drs just give you the run around. Hope you feel better soon.

BonusMom
01-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm right there with you, mountaindreamer. It's nearly impossible to function when you're under the influence of a migraine and seeking relief.
And the little pat on the head and threat of a neuro, I say "Bring it on" if they can take away the pain in my head. If they can't, don't waste my time and theirs by making the referral.

Dim the lights, shut the blinds and turn off the phone. Oh, and hire a handsome man to wait on you and maybe do a mani-pedi while you're recovering. It'll do wonders for your psyche.

Seriously, I hope you feel better soon.

Nonna
01-07-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm so sorry that you're suffering; call me if you need some help.

Dark room, soft music

hugs
nonna

magistramarla
01-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Phyllis,
It's so good to see you back here. I hope that you can get rid of that migraine soon and re-join our conversations.
Hugs,
Marla

slim
01-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Phyllis

I have always suffered from migraines since I was young before ever being diagnosed with SLE. I did see a Neurlologist for it and was prescibed Imitrex but it didnt work for me. Imitrex works best when you take it as soon as you feel the pain starting and not waiting for it to get really bad. Your migraine might also be triggered by something you are eating. You can also try Excedrin for migraine, Aleve or Ibuprofen. In the meantime turn off the lights , relax and try to get someplace. Goodluck.

Slim

kim,l
01-07-2011, 11:32 PM
dear phyllis sorry you are suffering migraines hope you feel better soon hugs kim l

rob
01-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi Phyllis, it's good to see you back!

Rob

Saysusie
01-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi Phyllis;
It is good to hear from you. But, I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with a migraine. I know how you feel sweetheart...I have chronic migraines to the point where I am so happy to have a bad headache as that is a marked improvement. I can go weeks with no real relief (either I am in the midst of a migraine or in the midst of a terrible headache!).
I hope that you find some relief soon, I know how debilitating a migraine can be. I am sending you hugs of understanding :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
01-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't know why I didn't mention this in the first post so we will just assume it was brain fog!

I began having migraines at 4 or 5 years old. Mine were so bad that they would restrict the blood flow and "trick" my eye into thinking it couldn't see. Imagine being 7 years old and all of a sudden going "blind" in your eye. It was a very scary time. They finally figured out what it was so I learned to stay calm and understand that it would go away as the headache did in a week our so. Years (decades) went by with me having horrible migraines that would put me in dark, silent rooms (when I wasn't throwing up in the bathroom that is). Back then there were not meds for migraines so they just drugged you up enough that you didn't care because they couldn't make the pain go away.

I tell you the history to tell the following story: In my late teens I went to a doctor who had been reading about some new research on migraines. They were starting to believe that, although there were multiple factors in play causing the migraine, there was one "trigger food" that was like the match that lights the candle to start the whole thing off. My grandmother (who also has RA) and I both had migraines so he had her and I keep a list of our cravings the day of or before the migraine started. I thought it was odd that he wanted to know what we craved but in this study they found that the food that kicked the cycle off was something that people could eat the rest of the time without it bothering them but when everything was set up for the headache they would crave it. So we began to keep the diary and I found that the day my migraines started, maybe even when I could feel that beginning pulsing in the side of my head and the light would start bothering me but I didn't hurt yet, I would crave chocolate. Now, I don't mean I would crave chocolate. I mean I would CRAVE chocolate. I would tear the house apart to find some. My grandmother found the same thing for her but instead of chocolate she craved tomato based pasta sauces (turns out those are the two most highly craved foods in that study).

To make a long story short once we knew what my trigger was I learned to tell my family when I knew it was coming and they would hide all chocolate from me. My best friends still tells the story of me on the floor pulling out pots and pans because I was like an addict looking for that chocolate LOL. Can I tell you that my migraines all went away when we figured this out? No, not at all. I can tell you that they dropped by more than 50% and the length of the migraine diminished.

I thought they were gone for good after my hysterectomy however they came back with a vengeance when I began getting sick a couple of years ago. I still find that I crave chocolate and I still practice the habits I learned about not eating chocolate when I knew everything was set for a migraine. While I still have a lot I think they would be worse if I didn't do this.

May not help for anyone else but just thought I would share the story

Bonita
01-09-2011, 07:53 AM
I too suffered from migrains earlier in life but out grew them till i got lupus. I was sent to a neurologist because of all the weird eye problems and he put me on verapimil which helps. Hope you can get some relief soon. Bonita

BonusMom
01-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Good Morning Phyllis-

Any relief from the migraine yet?

I hope you didn't think my initial response wasn't taking the situation too lightly. 2010 was the year of the migraine for me so I understand completely how miserable they can be. From my headache diary, it appears that my migraines are hormone related. Oh, the joys of being a woman.

I hope today is a better day. Take care.

Nonna
01-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey Phyllis

I too was wondering how do are doing? If you don't post today or tomorrow I will call

hugs,
nonna

magistramarla
01-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Phyllis,
I hope that you are feeling better and that we hear from you soon!

My migraines seem to be allergy-driven. I had one very memorable one when I had to speak at a luncheon at the Air Force Village Retirement Center in SA. We were in the top floor dining room, and it was raining hard, so the windows were closed tightly. After eating, those older folks all lit up cigarettes! By the time I had to speak, I recognized all the signs of a migraine coming on. I was so sick after, I wanted to call Jeff to come get me, but a neighbor insisted on taking me home in her brand-new Cadillac. I was so afraid that I would get sick in her car! I ran into the house, tossed my lunch, and buried myself in a dark room.

I had another memorable one when I went to a luncheon at a friend's house where she was burning scented candles. Smells can really set me off. Even if a salesgirl at the mall sprays me with a new perfume, the scent can cause migraine symptoms to start.
Migraines are a real pain!!!
Hugs,
Marla

SandyR
01-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi Phyllis!

I hope you are feeling better too. Like Marla, I get allergy/sinus migraines. I hope you found some relief from your pain. (btw - I'm whispering in case you didn't)

Sandy

mountaindreamer
01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
hi everyone,

thank you all for your responses. I was really just being light-hearted about the migraines....i do hate them, but i am getting accustomed to dealing with them. My mtx injection set off one two weeks ago that lasted 4 days. About the time that i thought i was getting past it, my head went into double time throbbing and jabbing. I am allergic to NSAIDS, so have to be really careful about what i take, so could not get a pain injection (tordol - high dose of nsaids). I started feeling a little better a couple of days later, but still feel the pressure in the back of my head.

Mari, i have actually heard that chocolate (cafein) can give people relief with migraines. I will watch for trigger foods, have not heard that one....thanks for the info.

Saysusie....my rheumy believes that some of my migraines (especially when they hit the back of my head) are fibromyalgia related....have you ever heard that....just wondering.

again, thanks to everyone...i am feeling a little better, i am just keeping my fingers crossed that tonight's mtx injection does not cause it to raise its ugly head again and slap me around for a few days. lol

love to you all....and it is wonderful to be back.

tgal
01-10-2011, 05:13 PM
hi everyone,

thank you all for your responses. I was really just being light-hearted about the migraines....i do hate them, but i am getting accustomed to dealing with them. My mtx injection set off one two weeks ago that lasted 4 days. About the time that i thought i was getting past it, my head went into double time throbbing and jabbing. I am allergic to NSAIDS, so have to be really careful about what i take, so could not get a pain injection (tordol - high dose of nsaids). I started feeling a little better a couple of days later, but still feel the pressure in the back of my head.

Mari, i have actually heard that chocolate (cafein) can give people relief with migraines. I will watch for trigger foods, have not heard that one....thanks for the info.

Saysusie....my rheumy believes that some of my migraines (especially when they hit the back of my head) are fibromyalgia related....have you ever heard that....just wondering.

again, thanks to everyone...i am feeling a little better, i am just keeping my fingers crossed that tonight's mtx injection does not cause it to raise its ugly head again and slap me around for a few days. lol

love to you all....and it is wonderful to be back.

I am not susie but I have to say that I have Fibro Headaches and Lupus headaches that are as bad as migrains but my "food triggers" don't work on them and they hit in a different spot than the migraines.

You are right about the caffeine being helpful and it is still helpful for me on regular headaches but for whatever reason chocolate is my trigger food and it will bring out a migraine not stop it.

I want to take a moment to thank all of you for being a part of my life. Your being here helps me through the rough times and brightens my days. I don't know where I would be without all of you

mountaindreamer
01-10-2011, 06:20 PM
hi mari,

yes, my fibromyagia headaches are usually pressure headaches in the back of my head...i can understand how they would be related to fms. sometimes, my migraines will hit me in the temples of my head and accross the top...feels like someone is jabbing me with an ice pick, and that the top of my head is going to explode. many times, my migraine will cause the fms headache to attack, and that one usually lasts several days.

it was so strange a couple of weeks ago. two hours after my mtx shot, the migraine hit me like a steel ball. it was very obvious that it was caused by the mtx.

it is so nice sharing with you. thanks for help out the forum.

wrightrs
01-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Hope your better !!!

Saysusie
01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Mountaindreamer;
Yes, my doctor has told me that the migraines are probably due to my FM as well as being complicated by Lupus Headaches. As Tgal mentioned, there are also a lot of food triggers. But, the more I research, the more confused I become. Some sites say that coffee helps, others say that coffee aggravates..everyone has said that chocolate and cheese are definite triggers (amongst other food triggers). So, I drink only decaf coffee and not very much of that,..tofu cheese, and Karob chocolate....I still get debilitating migraines and headaches. So, now my rheumy says that it is my FM and my Lupus..:-(
Can't win for losing huh?

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Ha! If ya'll think I gave up chocolate you are living in the fog! LOL I love chocolate I just know when NOT to eat it. LOL