PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D

Ariel
11-02-2005, 06:09 AM
How do people with lupus get enough vitamin D if they can't be in the sun?

Since I don't do dairy, I was looking at calcium supplements and Oscal makes one with D in it. Is this better than calcium alone?

Ariel

SoleSinger
11-02-2005, 10:52 AM
I know that vitamin D helps calcium absorption... That's about all that I know LOL!

hatlady
11-03-2005, 06:06 AM
Both my primary and my rheumy have told me to take 800 mg of vitamin D per day.

good thing!

mommymc
11-03-2005, 08:21 PM
I would ask the Dr., but my daughter takes 1 multi vitamin that contains 400mg. of vitamin D. If you read the list of vitamins on the label, you can just but a generic brand. We actually buy the Wal Mart brand (Equate) Plus. I think I paid $6.00 Canadian for 100 tablets. They also contain important vitamins such as Folic Acid, vitamin B12, Calcium, Potassium, Zinc etc.
Hope it helps, a good luck!
Mommymc

madthumbs
11-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I found that soy oil was causing my sensitivity to the sun. Lack of sunlight can cause depression, not just vitamin D deficiency. There are drugs that make people very photo-senstive. Try to eliminate things from your diet to rule out causes. Soy is very hard to eliminate. Lecithin is from soy. Bedding, and car interiors are made of soy. Cosmetics often have soy in them. Soy or canola (look up rapeseed) is in almost every food containing oil including chocolate, chips, soups, vegetable oil. I wonder if everyone fasted for a few days drinking purified water if they'd still be sun-sensitive.

Btw, there are many nutrients that aren't mainstream that don't get recognition and probably some that haven't even been discovered. VitaminD unnaturally can cause overcalcification. I happen to know someone who suffered from it thanks to vitD fortified milk. Lets just say I think I'd rather have lupus. ;)