PDA

View Full Version : High PSA Levels

cptnblah
12-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Hello all,
Been off grid for while now. Been a yr since goin out from mill on disability retirement thru them. Waiting on my admin law judge appt for disability. Have a great atty for it. Had to buy an ereader that hs internet as i am not able to go dwnstairs to computer easily. Been having lots of med issues also.

My question is...my PSA came back at 3.5. I knw it is stil within range but i am 45yrs old and urologist left practice and replacement is idiot (surprise!). He had me come in and i told him that last time it was hih, the doc gave me cipro and it endd up being an infecton and my rheumy told me that with al i have going on medicaly, that is probably the culprit. He scould and said its not likely. However, not that i was disapointd by this, he did not do the DRE that usualy gos with this isue. I gues im just wondering if any othr mals have ezperienced this. I do not have discomfot...just the usual urination stuf. I also have an apt with new doc intwo weks and on a month run of cipro that i m on now.

Sory about speling s i m typing with a stylus and am only making changes to the gros mispeling.

Thanks so much and hope all are having a great, safe, and good felin holiday!

Bil

Linda From Australia
12-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Sorry to hear that you have been having a difficult time, especially with your new replacement doctor. You said you have to use a stylus for typing, is that a piece of equipment that makes typing easier for you?

Sorry I cannot help you with your current issues, I do hope though that they are resolved very soon.

rob
12-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Good to see you back Captain,

Sorry, but I don't have any input for you. However, you bring up a good point. I'm going on 43 next month and have never had my PSA level checked. I suppose that's something I should not ignore. Thanks for the reminder.

Rob

cptnblah
12-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the replys.

Linda,
I am using a Pandigital reader pad that is used with Barns and Noble ebooks. The touchscreen's keys are to small for my big fingrs so my wife picked up one of those rubbr tiped pens for easier and more precise touching on screen. I am not sure if it is caled a stylus.

Rob,
It is great to be back. Have hd a lot hapen the last year both god and bad. Sold big boat but had bouht that bow rider lst wintr to take its lace. Cheaper and easir for wife and i to manage. I have had prostititus (sp?). a cpl times and my rheumy said that it is common with mctd. The recent urologist said no but i don't trust his knowledge. I wil find out from the new one in a week or two when i see himand post hre. I was getting my PSA checkd a cpl years ago cause of being on testosterone suppliments. If found to have prost cancer, testosterone suppliments must be stopped cause it can cause cancer to progress faster. Yes, you should get it checked especialy if sle can efect it.

Thanks again for replies,

Bil

rob
12-29-2010, 09:48 AM
For a second, I thought you said that you have had prostitutes! I was gonna say your prostate can't be too bad off!

Anyway, don't worry about the spelling, I know you are using one of those tiny screen gadgets with the rubber tipped pen device. BTW- I like your signature line. I'm a bit of a Van Halen fanatic. I still have my boat, got to do quite a bit of sailing this past summer. Got to see some whales, and a couple of sharks. I love the water.

Rob

cptnblah
01-04-2011, 11:02 PM
We were able to take the little boat out quite a fw tims last sumer but of course it is never enough. We found a place here at southrn point of lake michigan by Portage Indiana caled Boater's Beach. It has warm watr discharge from a power genration plant. You can only get thre via boat so the is little rif raf. However, yes we do take the 18'on the big lake. We have run into 3 footers once while at that beach and almost rippd the cleat for anchor off but broke the front light to pieces. Glad to hear that your stil able to get some enjoyment with your boat.

I go see the new Urologist today, wed, and i'l post his comments of lupus and that prostitus stuf. Btw...god no i was not sayin prostitutes...i have enough agrivation with the free women in my life. Now why would i want to pay for more..lol

More to follow later,

Bil

jmail
02-08-2011, 06:40 PM
My PSA bounces around from test to test. I had cancer in my late twenties, so I've been doing the PSA for quite a while now... It gets worse the older I get, which does coincide with my slowing down and becoming more sedentary as I get older. My job for the last 24 years has involved sitting in a chair for an 8 hr work day, and that definitely does NOT help. I've been on anti-biotics for the PSA more times than I care to remember lately, but it always responds...

cptnblah
03-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Well guys.its official yesterday. I have one more dx on my ever growing list of issues. Prostate cancer. It is in early stages but cause im only 45, they say I shld just totally remove since I shld have mny more yrs ahead. Otherwise it cld come back. I see the surgeon that uses Di Vici Robot tomorrow and hopefully get er dun nxt week so I can be ready for boat season...I knw Rob undersands that one. To much work to do on it before season strts. ROB u better gt in and gt ur chkup unless u have since u last posted about it. More to follow later.

cptnblah
03-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Well the surgery is May 4th. He said that all looks good to get it all since it was found early.

tgal
03-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Oh that just sucks!!! It seems like we finally get our head wrapped around one thing and then we get hit with another. Please keep us posted on how everything goes. I will be thinking of you!

steve.b
03-30-2011, 05:36 AM
i will remember 4 may.
hope all goes well.
please keep us posted.

cptnblah
03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks tgal and steve. My wife was just lecturing me a cpl weeks ago about always being negative. I asked what there was to be positive about during winter even if healthy. Then this dx last week. Atleast doc did say it is very early and he loves to get them like this caue there is better outcome. I am at peace about it. Thanks again and I will keep posted. It is not as easy to get on cause computr is dwnstairs and its hard to type on this darn pad. Take care all and wish everyone a pain free week.

SandyR
03-31-2011, 07:02 AM
The silver lining is that if you hadn't already had health issues and required so much body maintence/blood tests you might not have caught this until you had physical symptoms. God's funny the way he works like that. Something bad sometimes causes something good to happen. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, especially May 4 - which is also a good sign because if the docs thought it was a bad case you'd have been on and off the table long before I even read this.

cptnblah
05-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Just an update. Sorry it took so long. Well the surgery was not a success. With the robot, they have to tilt the lower part of your body up so that all ur innards move to the top of your body to gain access to the prostate. When he had the prostate in site, he had to tilt me a little more for better access. When he did that, they moved the sheet to see my face and saw that I had turned black. The surgeon said he thaught I was dead and that he had seen better color on a cadaver. He immediately looked at the monitors and saw that I was truely still alive. He wanted to conplete the surgery but the anethisist said no cause he was the one responsible for my living, I guess they had words as they took almost 1.5 hours to get to this point and the knife was right there. They agreed to let my wife make the decision. (can you imagine that?) She was about to give them the go ahead thinking that it could be the Raynaud's, when she asked what could happen. the anethisist said that I could stroke out and that it would take another 2 hrs (mind you that this was an hour to 1.5 hr surgery tops). She then said to close me up. The surgeon fixed my embilical hernia and closed me up.

Now, I had had a dream a couple times the week before that they had opened me up and closed me back up cause I was full of cancer. When I was waking up, the (b****) nurse was saying hold on as she was yanking the cathiter out. I was yelling, "No...I am suppose to keep it in for 1-2 weeks as I heal!" Her reply was, "You don't need it cause the surgery was not done. The prostate is still in cause of a complication." Now what the heck do you think I was thinking in my loopy state? Yes of course. I asked what happened. She said that she cannot tell me...My family will have to tell me. When I asked for my wife she said that she could not come in till my o2 level came up and to breath deeper. I told her I was and that it is always an issue with me cause of Raynaud's. She just kept gripping at me to breath. I finally told her to go out and google Raynaud's and when she could talk intelligently to me about it then she will be allowed back to assist me. Untill then get the hell away from me. Gue`ss what? I was moved shortly after to the next room to finish waking up. What a nightmare!!!!!!

Doc is sending me to Northwestern Hospital in Chicago where I will be operated on by Sr William Catalona who has been doing the old way for 43 yrs and has done more than 5000, so I will be in better hands so to say. That will be June 2nd at 200pm cst for the surgical consult.

steve.b
05-18-2011, 07:19 AM
what a scare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

look at the bright side.... you have a better surgeon doing the operation now.

here hoping for you.

cptnblah
05-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks Steve. Yes it was and some aspects are still coming back to me in little pieces. The surgeon said that he had never seen anything like that in the over 500 robotic surgeries that he has done. I told him that I am darned tired of all these firsts. I would like to come in last sometimes.

Saysusie
05-18-2011, 08:07 PM
OMG!! what a nightmare and, how could they stand around and argue about for 1.5 hours!!! WTF!! And doing this while you are black in the face?
And then, to top it off with a Jack A@# of a nurse...I would have been tempted to kick her in the face.

At any rate, I am glad to hear that you will be seeing an expert on the 2cnd..I will keep you in my thoughts until then and I hope that you have some relatively pain-free days until then.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

cptnblah
05-19-2011, 06:19 AM
whoops. my bad. they didn't argue for 1.5 hrs. not sure how long. i meant that they took 1.5 hrs cutting thru my spare tire (tummy) to get to where ths surgeon could be where he was at to cut it out. for some reason there was something like scar tissue even though i had not had surgery in that area before and the hurniated belly button. he planned on fixing that also so that is all he was able to do. sorry. on a lighter side...i now call it my belly "BUTT"on as it looks somewhat like a sphincter. that's alright though cause it looks 500% better than what it did. lol

cptnblah
07-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Sorry it took so long to post results. I have been mentally on vacation.

Well they got the thing out on the 16th and I was in hospital till the 20th by my request. I had a lot of issues with pain and the morphine did not work. I did not know that it didn't work for my mom or sister either till my wife told me. I then got dilaudid and that worked better. At least I would get enough relief to be able to sleep 45min after the injection and be awake in pain for the other 1 hr and 45 mins till the next injection. I did a lot of waking. They said to do it but the nurses said I was doing way too much. I told them that it took my mind off of the pain somewhat. I am recovering well. The gleason score was higher however than what it was before the surgery and the surgeon said that it was at the outer lining of the prostate so he cannot say 100% that it did not escape. I will know when my next PSA is done which will be in another week. My lymph nodes were clean and some of the other tissues that they removed were also clean so I am sure that they got it all.

lovedbyHim
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
For a second, I thought you said that you have had prostitutes! I was gonna say your prostate can't be too bad off!

Anyway, don't worry about the spelling, I know you are using one of those tiny screen gadgets with the rubber tipped pen device. BTW- I like your signature line. I'm a bit of a Van Halen fanatic. I still have my boat, got to do quite a bit of sailing this past summer. Got to see some whales, and a couple of sharks. I love the water.

Rob

Oh Rob I can always count on you for a good laugh!

Hello Captain! I never chatted with you but it's nice to meet you! I use a Droid phone and I make many typos because its so hard for me to read such tiny words, so please forgive my typos.

Sorry I can't help with the medical question. We do have some medical professionals on the forum. Hopefully someone will help.

lovedbyHim
07-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Well guys.its official yesterday. I have one more dx on my ever growing list of issues. Prostate cancer. It is in early stages but cause im only 45, they say I shld just totally remove since I shld have mny more yrs ahead. Otherwise it cld come back. I see the surgeon that uses Di Vici Robot tomorrow and hopefully get er dun nxt week so I can be ready for boat season...I knw Rob undersands that one. To much work to do on it before season strts. ROB u better gt in and gt ur chkup unless u have since u last posted about it. More to follow later.

Omgosh... I am truly sorry about this! I have heard 8 cases of cancer this week and you are now #9 ! Sheesh!

cptnblah
07-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks but I was just posting an update to what had been going on. I have done all the research on what I have and what I need to do with it. I just hadn't posted any updates in a while cause of not being mentally with it in a while. I have been so busy that I have only had my boat out twice this year...once last Saturday for enjoyment and the other was two Fridays before that just to test it out so that was no fun. Rob can attest that for a boater, that is a disgrace. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I also sometimes use my phone and have Raynaud's so the touch screen doesn't always cooperate and the keys are too small for my thumbs.

Bill