PDA

View Full Version : Lupus Rash or Rosecea?

Lyssa
10-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi all, New here. I am not a diagnosed lupus patient however i've had many symptoms over the years including tachycardia, heart palpitations, brachycardia, lots of joint pain and headaches and fatigue and rashes and hair loss! ITP (low platelets) elevated sed rate for 3 years and borderline positive ANA and anti-ds-dna. I am not insured right now but I was very sick over the summer and today I went to the zoo with my daughter. I was only outside for an hour with a hat and sunblock on but every time I'm outside midday i get sick with a face rash, joint pain, fatigue and a fever.

I wanted an opinion from anyone who has had a malar rash, does this look like a lupus rash or rosecea? I've had this rash for 3 years along with my elevated sed rate.. it is rarely not present at all, but here it is in 3 different phases.

Me on a bad day
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/missjunglism/malar.jpg

ME on a normal day
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/missjunglism/facerash.jpg

ME on a good day
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/missjunglism/rae1.jpg

hatlady
10-30-2005, 11:09 AM
You have such pretty blue eyes!

I have rosacea, and thought it was malar rash. What the dermatologist told me was that the malar rash is usually flat, whereas my rosacea was more pimply - bumpy and some looked very much like acne. I wouldn't try to diagnose what your issue may be - but would suggest you visit a dermatologist. You can visit rosacea.org for infomation on that condition as well.

Whatever it may be, try to notice what triggers the flares - those bad days. Might be sun (a BIGGIE for me!) might be red wine, might be a specific food. Then do what you can to avoid the trigger.

Millefleur
11-20-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi, Your pictures look just like my face on good to bad days. I am also not diagnosed with lupus but have +ANA, elev. sed rate and achy shooting/floating pains, brain fog and fatigue. I feel OK most of the time, but a couple of times a year I have a "flare" and feel pretty bad. Anyway, I wondered about the face also. In September I had a very bad flare. One day I was in the sun and came in and saw a classic lupus mask. Raspberry red. So bright and deep red, in the classic wolf like pattern. It faded, however, in a few hours and returned to that general rosacea look, like you have in your pictures. I asked a dermie; he said it was rosacea, that a lupus mask effect does NOT just fade in a few hours. I would be interested in hearing from diagnosed lupus patients about that.
Right now my skin is fine. The rosacea seems highly related to the sun.
Hope you feel better. Like the other posting said, your doctor can probably tell you more.
Millefleur

kiwimitts
11-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi there. I was mis-diagnosed with rosacea for years and tried virtually every treatment known to man, including being on accutane for 5 years. If the doctors had paid closer attention they would have learned that it was the malar rash from lupus. With rosacea I think you get bumps/nubs on your nose and a lot of tiny broken capillaries on your face. A GOOD dermatologist would probably be able to tell you which you have.

kiwimitts
11-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi there. I was mis-diagnosed with rosacea for years and tried virtually every treatment known to man, including being on accutane for 5 years. If the doctors had paid closer attention they would have learned that it was the malar rash from lupus. With rosacea I think you get bumps/nubs on your nose and a lot of tiny broken capillaries on your face. A GOOD dermatologist would probably be able to tell you which you have.