PDA

View Full Version : Disability and SSI Denied

tgal
12-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Well after jumping through every hoop since June for the SS/SSI people I was informed today that I am not sick enough to receive any disability or disability insurance. Although it is clear that I can no longer do the job I was trained to do they see no reason that I can not do some kind of less stressful, menial type job (their words).

So let's see. I have seizures, I can't drive, I can't be in the sun or in florescent lighting, I can't sit or stand for long periods, some days I can't get out of bed. Any ideas about where I can work that will provide insurance?

Nonna
12-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Ok, so now it's time to think this out. What is you background? What do you know? My first thought was receptionist in a doctor's office with the flourescence turned off. A doctor would be understanding. Not panicking, try to think calmly as to what's next to do.

Hugs and good thoughts and prays
nonna.

tgal
12-18-2010, 06:52 AM
First thing is that we are going to appeal. Due to my memory/brain issues it would almost impossible for me to work now. I am feeling better today I just had a small panic attack last night. I was warned that this is how it usually goes. It will all be ok. It just takes time

Hunniebun
12-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Definitely appeal. My advocate told me that people are denied because there is not enough information given and to appeal, appeal, appeal until you are given a reason for denial, or you are approved.

tgal
12-21-2010, 02:30 AM
In the states 70% of all applications are denied the first time no matter what they are given. I will be fighting it and I appreciate your support!

Hunniebun
12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Wow. Definitely keep on fighting.

cptnblah
01-04-2011, 11:46 PM
I got my atorney aftr first denial. They tld me bsicaly the same thing even aftr my second denial. Im waiting for my date with administrative lw judge. My aty tld me the whle proces cld be up to 1.5 yrs.

Hang in there,

Bill

GoodDog
01-05-2011, 12:04 AM
It took me 2 years but I was still in shock over losing my business, my home and having a debilitating illness so I didn't give it the attention it needed. After the first denial I got an attorney and it was approved. It takes 3 months to get your money, though, so just be aware of that.

Good luck and I know you'll get it on appeal, but it does suck! They almost always deny it the first time.

magistramarla
01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Isn't it awful that they force people who can't afford it to hire an attorney? Seems like a conspiracy to me!
Good luck, Mari.
Hugs,
Marla

Hunniebun
01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Is there no legal aid in the US that pays for a lawyer for you? My legal advocate that helped me win was free.

tgal
01-05-2011, 09:21 PM
In the US it is done as follows:

1. Do it yourself
2. Get an attorney and he charges nothing up front but if you win he gets 25% of what you get (they pay you all the way back to when you first applied so the attorney gets 25% of that up to $6,ooo). One of the reasons you have to get the right attorney is some of them want it to go on a long time because the longer it takes the more they get.

BonusMom
01-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Tgal-
Does Texas offer a state disability program to pay you for a period of time while you're waiting for the results of your appeal? For example, in CA, employees pay in to State Disability Insurance, a program that's administered by the Employment Development Department. If you're unable to work due to a qualified medical condition, you can collect SDI for up to 52 weeks. It's not as much as you would earn (it's based on the prior quarter earnings, I believe), but at least it's something for living expenses while you're waiting for your SSDI claim to be adjudicated.

I've heard that although SSDI is a Federal program, claims are handled/decided at the state level, is that correct? Based on that understanding, if you live in a state that is in a severe financial crisis, for example California, do you think it would take longer to get your SSDI claim approved?

I'm really hoping that your claim gets approved quickly, Tgal. Why should you have to pay an attorney any of your back pay when you should have been approved from the get go? You need to be able to keep a roof over your head, food on the table and medicine for your medical conditions. Darn govt makes it hard so you'll give up---except you won't, will you?

The govt makes it so difficult for people who are legitimately ill and not merely alcoholics/addicts looking for a handout. Hang in there, girl. We're all here for you and wishing you quick results!

tgal
01-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Texas has no programs of any kind. I actually spoke to someone today (again) who was helping me look for programs to pay the current medical bills (upwards of $20,000) and was told "I am sorry Mari but you make too much money to receive any help". I then kindly asked (again) "how can $300 a month be too much money?" to which he replied " I know it is crazy but since you only have 1 child and there are only 2 people in your home you cannot make more than $150 a month and receive any help." $150 a month? You have to be frickin kidding me!

As for giving up, I have thought about it. I have thought and thought about what I could do to make money to support my daughter and I but it all comes back to the fact that I can't get in florescent light, I never know when I will have a seizure or when the TN pain is going to hit, I don't know what days I will be too exhausted to get out of the bed and who is going to hire me when I can't even remember what instructions I was given 5 min. before. Yes, I have thought about giving up but honestly there is no way I can. So I will keep fighting them until they do what is right. I have worked my entire life and it isn't like I am asking them to give me something so I can go play bingo everyday. I am asking for them to help me to live.

xani's mom
01-05-2011, 11:23 PM
tgal-
Don't worry it will be ok eventually. They always deny the first time. It could take awhile though. My first reply was that I needed to get a job where I wouldn't need to use my hands and wouldn't have to sit, stand, or walk for more than 10 minutes at a time with little to no contact with other people.
Where they are advertising for that position is still a mystery. Do you live in a close town, have your friends considered having a benefit for you to get you by until you have something coming in. Around here they have them for people all the time I think you'll find people will be very willing to help if you share your story with them.
Hugs-Heather

Linda From Australia
01-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Gee - sometimes life just SUCKS doesn't it?

Hunniebun
01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Wow...Even more solid reasons to never move to the United States. I really hope it all works out for you, and soon.

rdiienno
02-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi, I am new here...sort of. I've been more of a reader than a poster. When I saw your post, I had to respond.

It took me nearly 4 years to get my Social Security. I had terrible luck until a friend used to work at SS told me what to do. I tried it and it worked. I hope it can help you too.

Like you and many others, I was denied on my first filing. I hired an attorney and filed my appeal. Before I go further, I have to tell you to stay on top of your attorneys. Prior to being diagnosed with Lupus, I was in the field of hospital risk management and dealt with attorneys on a daily basis. Claims such as these do not get their prompt attention. I found with my own case, I had to make copies of records and documents and hand deliver them myself to the courthouse just to ensure it was done in a timely fashion. The next thing and this is critical if you can get it done. Have each of your doctors write a letter stating that you are completely and totally disabled and unable to return to work at any time in the foreseeable future. It is very important that you use those words. Again, in my case, I wrote the letters and took them to the doctors and had them sign them. By doing that, it saved time and I knew it was done because I hand delivered it myself. I personally took those letters to the courthouse and asked them to add them to my file. I also wrote to my congressman and senator. This may not necessarily get your claim approved, but it can help in speeding up your appeal. Further, some may disagree with this approach, but I did it anyway because I was desperate. After 4 years, having lost everything except my family...I was desperate. Once I found out which judge was assigned to my case, I sent him a personal letter. In my letter I explained my financial circumstances, what my family had been through and pleaded with him to make a bench decision based on hardship. My attorneys were dumbfounded as to how I got my case heard in about 1 month's time as opposed to the usual 2 years. You know the old saying, when you want something done right, do it yourself. Unfortunately the attorneys don't care that you haven't got a nickel in your pocket and have lost your home. Anyway, when I got to the courthouse to have my case heard, the judge told me that he was not going to put me under oath or take any testimony. He said the records spoke for themselves and approved my claim on the spot with a bench decision.

Of course I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it can't hurt. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will help in any way that I can.

God bless,
Ron

tgal
03-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi, I am new here...sort of. I've been more of a reader than a poster. When I saw your post, I had to respond.

It took me nearly 4 years to get my Social Security. I had terrible luck until a friend used to work at SS told me what to do. I tried it and it worked. I hope it can help you too.

Like you and many others, I was denied on my first filing. I hired an attorney and filed my appeal. Before I go further, I have to tell you to stay on top of your attorneys. Prior to being diagnosed with Lupus, I was in the field of hospital risk management and dealt with attorneys on a daily basis. Claims such as these do not get their prompt attention. I found with my own case, I had to make copies of records and documents and hand deliver them myself to the courthouse just to ensure it was done in a timely fashion. The next thing and this is critical if you can get it done. Have each of your doctors write a letter stating that you are completely and totally disabled and unable to return to work at any time in the foreseeable future. It is very important that you use those words. Again, in my case, I wrote the letters and took them to the doctors and had them sign them. By doing that, it saved time and I knew it was done because I hand delivered it myself. I personally took those letters to the courthouse and asked them to add them to my file. I also wrote to my congressman and senator. This may not necessarily get your claim approved, but it can help in speeding up your appeal. Further, some may disagree with this approach, but I did it anyway because I was desperate. After 4 years, having lost everything except my family...I was desperate. Once I found out which judge was assigned to my case, I sent him a personal letter. In my letter I explained my financial circumstances, what my family had been through and pleaded with him to make a bench decision based on hardship. My attorneys were dumbfounded as to how I got my case heard in about 1 month's time as opposed to the usual 2 years. You know the old saying, when you want something done right, do it yourself. Unfortunately the attorneys don't care that you haven't got a nickel in your pocket and have lost your home. Anyway, when I got to the courthouse to have my case heard, the judge told me that he was not going to put me under oath or take any testimony. He said the records spoke for themselves and approved my claim on the spot with a bench decision.

Of course I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it can't hurt. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will help in any way that I can.

God bless,
Ron

I don't know how I missed this post! I am so glad that you offered such wonderful information! I am bumping this up for others to read!

Maribeth
06-16-2011, 11:41 PM
I was so sick and in so much pain I went into a psychotic stage of Lupus. I ended up hanging myself from the tree in my backyard and did a stint in the mental hospital. Turns out if your nuts it's easy to get on disability and SSI. Thank God I survived.

Melodyroseak
07-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Definitely appeal. I was approved the first time around. I also had a vascular necrosis of the hips. SSI loves to say no. See if you can find an attorney to help you.

tgal
07-27-2011, 04:17 PM
I agree about appealing. I got mine the 2nd time around due to seizures brought on by Lupus. I had to get an attorney involved but it was worth it

tabathabroaden
10-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Wow! I am currently going thru this very situation. After 10+ years, I lost my job die to being out of the business. I finally decided to apply for disabilty, because it was evident I was not going to find a job to allow breaks, naps, and snap sessions on the customers when I am having a mood swing. I was denied and it was because they felt, just as you stated, I could do a different job such as security gaurd, or visual inspector....First of all, I dont know how Im supposed to protect someone or their property when I can not protect myself, 2nd, I am unable to sit or stand for periods of time, I experience dizziness and masive headaches, not to mention I have an anuerysim. So, I understand your frustration. I am currently appealing with my lawyer again, because he said he does not understand how I may be denied at all. I am venting, but I do wish everyone the best. If anyone out there has some advice, I would love to hear it, I am all out of ideas!

steve.b
10-31-2011, 05:18 AM
tabatha, iam in australia, where things are very different.
but i wish you success.

i do not understand a system that makes it so hard for the needy, but easy for the rich.

tgal
10-31-2011, 06:46 AM
Hi Tabitha,

SSD take it as their job to deny you. I know many people try to trick the system but it makes it very hard on those of us that are actually sick. The question I have is this. How long have you been out of work? That is one of the criteria they look at. If you have been out of work too long then you haven't been putting into the system so they won't give you SSD. You might want to check into SSI though. If I understand it correctly that is for people that have not been working.

I will say this however. I know some people get SS without an attorney but I highly suggest getting one. I was denied and kept fighting on my own. As soon as I got an attorney I was approved. Know this though... It doesn't fix everything. It is money but no insurance (medicare) for 2 years and no help with your meds. Thankfully you can eat though!

Hope this helps

cptnblah
01-25-2012, 01:14 PM
2 yrs and a 5 month waiting period for the medicare. I finally got mine last Sept. I got the atty after the first denial. They took the payment to the atty out of my back pay. My trial took all of about 8 mins. the judge looked at the gov doc and asked why I was there as it was a no-brainer. I said that I didn't know...it's their f'd up system. They made it active back to last day worked when they usually only go from date of application. They made my re-eval in three years. The social worker said not to contact them in 3 yrs if they don't contact me cause it will just keep going anyway. They'll call me. Sounds good to me. I am not uninsured from Jan 1 till June. Just laying low...locked in a padded room. lol. Still showing cancer (prostate) free since the surgery which was last June. The Raynaud's caused me to turn purple when they tipped me back so the doc freaked and stopped the surgery. My Rheumy was pissed cause she would have told him that it would have happened if the idiot would have called her as she had requested. But Dr God didn't feel the need even though he was wanting me to stop my MTX, Plaq, and Pred two weeks before the surgery and was not happy when i told him no. I told him that he needed to call Rheumy to get me to stop meds.

Gizmo
01-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Oh Mari, I am sorry! I know you have been counting the days, hoping to get insured. It blows my mind that they would deny you, and then tell you to go get a menial type job. I'm glad you are going to continue to fight, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

tgal
01-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Oh Mari, I am sorry! I know you have been counting the days, hoping to get insured. It blows my mind that they would deny you, and then tell you to go get a menial type job. I'm glad you are going to continue to fight, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hey Gizmo,

This is an old thread and I actually got approved last year however insurance doesn't come with it for the first 2 years! After backdating I will get my Medicare in Oct. of this year. There is a catch 22.. I MUST continue taking all my meds and seeing docs but I have no insurance to help with that.

LOL Gotta love it!

tgal
01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
2 yrs and a 5 month waiting period for the medicare. I finally got mine last Sept. I got the atty after the first denial. They took the payment to the atty out of my back pay. My trial took all of about 8 mins. the judge looked at the gov doc and asked why I was there as it was a no-brainer. I said that I didn't know...it's their f'd up system. They made it active back to last day worked when they usually only go from date of application. They made my re-eval in three years. The social worker said not to contact them in 3 yrs if they don't contact me cause it will just keep going anyway. They'll call me. Sounds good to me. I am not uninsured from Jan 1 till June. Just laying low...locked in a padded room. lol. Still showing cancer (prostate) free since the surgery which was last June. The Raynaud's caused me to turn purple when they tipped me back so the doc freaked and stopped the surgery. My Rheumy was pissed cause she would have told him that it would have happened if the idiot would have called her as she had requested. But Dr God didn't feel the need even though he was wanting me to stop my MTX, Plaq, and Pred two weeks before the surgery and was not happy when i told him no. I told him that he needed to call Rheumy to get me to stop meds.

I am SOOOOO happy for you!!!! It is still a long fight but at least one battle was won!!!