PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Christmas song?

red246
12-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Just wondering what everyone favorites are? Mine is Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey. Adding a link for those that don't know it!

http://members.shaw.ca/cybernana/funpage/dominick/dominick.htm

SandyR
12-16-2010, 02:50 PM
I love Silent Night best.

rob
12-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm not a particularly religious person, but I do love Christmas, and the music I grew up with. My favorite Christmas song is "Oh Holy Night", and the finest rendition of the song I've ever heard, was performed by a country singer named John Berry.

Take a listen. Here's a link to his rendition of the song-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQDPo32DwbI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQDPo32DwbI)

Bonita
12-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Mine is Silent Night because it is all about Jesus birth and that is what Christmas is. Love and peace to all Bonita

Nonna
12-16-2010, 06:21 PM
You've got great taste Rob, "O Holy Night" is my favorite also. Don't have a favorite version though

nonna

Han
12-16-2010, 06:40 PM
I love Christmas Day (which I was taught as Dysart Christmas) "The North wind is tossing the leaves, the red dust is over the town..." being a child o' t' north myself, very Australian carol! Also love Deck the Halls and Little Drummer Boy. Love carols in general :)

Han
12-16-2010, 06:42 PM
And the traditional and Aussie versions of the Twelve Days of Christmas:) And Jingle Bells, which when I was teaching Ed Support we used to teach in Auslan (Australian Sign Language).

Turns out I have many, many favourite Christmas Carols!

Merrilyn OZ
12-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Really like the John Berry version of O Holy Night Rob
Han do you know where I could get a copy of the Aussie version of Twelve Days of Christmas?

Han
12-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Do you want it as music or a book? There's a gorgeously illustrated book called The Australian Twelve Days of Christmas, illustrated by Heath McKenzie that you will be able to get anywhere at this time of year, I even saw it at Aus Post. I don't actually have it on CD, it's one of those ones that the whole family just roar at the tops of our voices :) I just googled the lyrics and it turns out there are as many different versions as can be imagined. PM if you'd like my version, I'll send you a copy :)

Hunniebun
12-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Oh Come All Yee Faithful by Celine Dion.

kim,l
12-16-2010, 08:43 PM
my favourite is santa clause is coming to town i sing that every year with my daughter and have since her first christmas 15 yrs ago merry christmas everyone love kim l

tgal
12-16-2010, 08:47 PM
My favorite Christmas song is "Merry Christmas Darling" and the version by Karen Carpenter. 18 years ago I lost my son at 5 and a half months pregnant. I had purchased a blue bunny for him when I found out I was going to have a baby. That Christmas, and every one since, that bunny goes under the tree and I play that song one time in remembrance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR1ujXx2p-I

Han
12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Mari, that's a lovely family tradition. Thanks so much for sharing with us. Hugs, Han xx

red246
12-16-2010, 08:53 PM
(((TGal)))) See now, there's something else we have in common. I lost my first son at about 7mos preg. We got a ceramic angel ornament from a group that we went to for parents who had losses. Every year that ornament is on my tree. Has his name and birthday on it.

kim,l
12-16-2010, 09:00 PM
yes mari we also have something in common i lost my son when i was 5 months pregnant and i also have ornament for him at christmas as well as all my other love ones i have lost hugs kim l

Linda From Australia
12-17-2010, 01:51 AM
I love all Australian Christmas Carols:

Aussie 12 days of Christmas
On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me .... A kookaburra in a gum tree
On the second day of Christmas, my true love sent to me ...... Two cockatoos, and a kookaburra in a gum tree
Three parakeets.........Four great galahs....... Five opals black...... Six 'roos a-jumping........ Seven emus running....... Eight koalas clinging......... Nine wombats waddling........ Ten dingoes dashing....... Eleven snakes a-sliding....... Twelve goannas going....... etc...

Deck The Shed with bits of Wattle

Deck the shed with bits of wattle fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Whack some gum leaves in a bottle fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
All the shops are open Sundays fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Buy your dad some socks and undies fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Deck the shed with bits of gum tree fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Hang some decos off the plum tree fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Plant some kisses on the missus fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Have a ripper Aussie Christmas fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Say g'day to friends and rellies fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Wave them off with bulging bellies fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Kids and babies, youngies oldies, fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
May your fridge be full of coldies fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Chop the wood and stoke the barbie ha-de-ya-de-ya-ha-ha-ha-ha
Ring the folks in Abu Dhabi ha-de-ya-de-ya-ha-ha-ha-ha
Pop the stuffing in the turkey ha-de-ya-de-ya-ha-ha-ha-ha
Little Mary's feeling 'urkey' ha-de-ya-de-ya-ha-ha-ha-ha
Rally, rally round the table fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Fill your belly while you're able fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Joyce and Joanie, Dave and Darryl fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Sing and Aussie Christmas carol fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la

Aussie Jingle Bells
Dashing through the bush In a rusty Holden Ute
Kicking up the dust Esky in the boot
Kelpie by my side Singing Christmas songs
It's summer time and I am in My singlet, shorts & thongs

OH, JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS
JINGLE ALL THE WAY
CHRISTMAS IN AUSTRALIA
ON A SCORCHING SUMMER'S DAY
JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS
CHRISTMAS TIME IS BEAUT
OH WHAT FUN IT IS TO RIDE
IN A RUSTY HOLDEN UTE

Engine's getting hot Dodge the kangaroos
Swaggy climbs aboard He is welcome too
All the family is there Sitting by the pool
Christmas day, the Aussie way By the barbecue!

Come the afternoon Grandpa has a doze
The kids and uncle Bruce Are swimming in their clothes
The time comes round to go We take a family snap
Then pack the car and all shoot through Before the washing up

Six White Boomers

Early on one Christmas Day a joey kangaroo
Was far from home and lost in a great big zoo
"Mummy where's my mummy? They've taken her away"
'We'll help you find your mummy son, just hop up on the sleigh'
Up beside the bag of toys little Joey hopped
But they hadn't gone far when Santa stopped
Unharnessed all the reindeer and Joey wondered why
Then he heard a far off booming in the sky

CHORUS: Six white boomers snow white boomers
Racing Santa Claus through the blazing sun
Six white boomers snow white boomers
On his Australian run

Pretty soon old Santa began to feel the heat
Took his fur-lined boots off to cool his feet
Into one popped Joey feeling quite okay
While those old man kangaroos kept pulling on the sleigh

Joey said to Santa "What about the toys?
Aren't you giving some to these girls and boys?"
"They've got all their presents son, we were here last night,
This trip is an extra trip, Joey's special flight"

Soon the sleigh was flashing past right over Marble Bar
"Slow down there" cried Santa "it can't be far,
Come up on my lap here son, and have a look around"
"There she is, that's mummy, bounding up and down"

Well that's the bestest Christmas treat that Joey ever had
Curled up in his mother's pouch, all snug and glad
The last they saw was Santa heading northward from the sun
The only year the boomers worked a double run

Linda From Australia
12-17-2010, 03:04 AM
I found a couple of Youtube clips that show you what Christmas is like in Australia. Enjoy the songs and footage

Aussie Jingle Bells
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnJ8jsw4BSo

Six White Boomers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdVXca9hys

Nonna
12-17-2010, 04:21 AM
my favorite christmas song is "merry christmas darling" and the version by karen carpenter. 18 years ago i lost my son at 5 and a half months pregnant. I had purchased a blue bunny for him when i found out i was going to have a baby. That christmas, and every one since, that bunny goes under the tree and i play that song one time in remembrance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr1ujxx2p-i

((((((((hugs)))))))))))

I lost my first almost immediately.

debbie-b
12-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Mine is Silent Night because it is all about Jesus birth and that is what Christmas is. Love and peace to all Bonita

That is mine too. I sing it in english and german.

Debbie

tgal
12-17-2010, 06:43 AM
I found a couple of Youtube clips that show you what Christmas is like in Australia. Enjoy the songs and footage

Aussie Jingle Bells
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnJ8jsw4BSo

Six White Boomers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdVXca9hys

OMG this made my morning! I was asking last night what it was like there at Christmas. I had never thought of Christmas in the summer. Those are too funny! Thanks for sharing

Merrilyn OZ
12-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks Linda, I've been looking for Rolfs Six White Boomers but could'nt remember the song name The Clips were a great idea for our American family members

MorrisonGal
12-17-2010, 10:46 AM
My fave Christmas song is Sleigh Ride. Thanks Linda for the Australian carol lyrics - I enjoyed your post.

red246
12-17-2010, 09:07 PM
I loved the Aussie songs! Thanks to Linda - you never fail to make me smile!

magistramarla
12-19-2010, 11:33 PM
I love "White Christmas" - both the song and the film that it comes from - Holiday Inn.
I also like "Silver Bells".

PS - Anybody ever hear "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"? That's a fun one!
Another goody is "The Twelve Days After Christmas".

tiggerlishus - Heidi
12-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I love "White Christmas" - both the song and the film that it comes from - Holiday Inn.
I also like "Silver Bells".

PS - Anybody ever hear "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"? That's a fun one!
Another goody is "The Twelve Days After Christmas".

marla my fav is white christmas film and song!

but i also love grandma got run over by a reindeer my nan from teneasse got me a stuffed reindeer that when you pressed its hand it sang the song!!
i still got it now put it under my tree every year i thought it might make you chuckle, makes me chuckle every year when i get it out!!

red246
12-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Absolutely love White Christmas! Grandma Got Run Over used to be a standard at our house when we were kids. My brother played it till we wanted to scream! lol

wolfwhisper
12-23-2010, 06:49 PM
One of my favorites (have a long list of them) is Dan Fogelberg's Old Lang Syne. Made the whole house listen to it when we were cleaning the other day. Another one I like was "grown up christmas list", but I like "Hark, the harold Angels sing". That seems to be my favorite this year. lol. I used to play Grandma got run over all the time.^^
*edit* Can't believe I forgot to add "Mary did you know"

red246
12-23-2010, 07:24 PM
One of my favorites (have a long list of them) is Dan Fogelberg's Old Lang Syne. Made the whole house listen to it when we were cleaning the other day. Another one I like was "grown up christmas list", but I like "Hark, the harold Angels sing". That seems to be my favorite this year. lol. I used to play Grandma got run over all the time.^^
*edit* Can't believe I forgot to add "Mary did you know"

I LOVE "Mary Did You Know"!!!!!! Heard it on the radio yesterday, driving down the road crying! lol

Linda From Australia
12-23-2010, 11:40 PM
WE just had our annual End of school year concert. Every class was involved, and you wouldn't believe what it was called.
Mary Did YOu Know We were inspired about the song first, then the script and class items just followed. It was a wondeful story and a wonderful song.

froggal
12-24-2010, 01:50 PM
I am an O Holy Night fan also. My favorite version is by Wynonna Judd. That doesnt make me a hillbilly does it? Oh, I also love Winter Wonderland! Everytime I hear it I cant help but think that is how winter should be for everyone!

red246
12-24-2010, 08:36 PM
WE just had our annual End of school year concert. Every class was involved, and you wouldn't believe what it was called.
Mary Did YOu Know We were inspired about the song first, then the script and class items just followed. It was a wondeful story and a wonderful song.

How wonderful that must have been! They would never do that here unless it was in a Christian/Catholic school. Everything is "Holiday This, Holiday That". It's hardly ever "Christmas" anymore.

wolfwhisper
12-26-2010, 01:00 AM
supposedly, "christmas" is politically incorrect. Kind of interesting, since no one had a problem with it say, 100 years ago. lol.

I am an O Holy Night fan also. My favorite version is by Wynonna Judd. That doesnt make me a hillbilly does it? Oh, I also love Winter Wonderland! Everytime I hear it I cant help but think that is how winter should be for everyone!

lol. She actually sings that better than most of the people I'ver heard.

red246
12-26-2010, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=wolfwhisper;77296]supposedly, "christmas" is politically incorrect. Kind of interesting, since no one had a problem with it say, 100 years ago. lol.
/QUOTE]

Even just 40-50 years ago, it wasn't like it is today. But then again, stores weren't open 24 hours a day or opening at 3am for Black Friday! I'm all for sales, but come on! I used to work retail and we never opened before 8am on Black Friday and never stayed open later than 10 - in a mall!

rob
12-26-2010, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=wolfwhisper;77296]supposedly, "christmas" is politically incorrect. Kind of interesting, since no one had a problem with it say, 100 years ago. lol.
/QUOTE]

Even just 40-50 years ago, it wasn't like it is today. But then again, stores weren't open 24 hours a day or opening at 3am for Black Friday! I'm all for sales, but come on! I used to work retail and we never opened before 8am on Black Friday and never stayed open later than 10 - in a mall!

For the record, I think political correctness is a bunch of BS. There are too many people who get too easily offended at the smallest of things. I say, get over it! Don't like the song you hear, change the damn station. Don't like what some person is saying, then don't listen. Don't like Christmas, then don't celebrate it! The whole issue of "Merry Christmas" being offensive is beyond ridiculous. I'm not Mexican, yet I was never offended by my Mexican neighbors back in Phoenix celebrating Cinco de Mayo. I'm not Jewish, yet I enjoy wishing all of my Jewish friends a Happy Hanukkah. As a matter of fact, I learned to appreciate and enjoy many holidays I would not normally observe myself because of friends with different nationalities and beliefs.

And, I'm a capitalist to the core, but I agree that these silly store hours around the holidays are really overkill. We still have old blue laws that prevent some of that here. In Maine it's still against the law for any business other than a gas station or small pharmacy to be open on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Rob

wolfwhisper
12-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Yeah. I don't think we had this much of a problem as much as even 10 years ago. I like those shopping days, and your right. It's completely rediculous to open so early in the morning. I think we should take Maine's example.

ROB: I agree with you. I was just saying why people say holiday instead of Christmas. I like all holidays, and so far I haven't heard anyone complain when I tell them Merry Christmas. If I find out they don't celebrate it, I correct myself. It's worked so far.

magistramarla
01-04-2011, 11:45 PM
LOL - I heard "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" on the radio while we were in Texas. I hadn't heard it at all here in California. Is it just a Midwestern thing?
My daughter told me that the newest version is "Grandma got felt up by the TSA" (not at all PC). I haven't looked for it yet, but I'm assuming that it must be online.
So now my bad sense of humor is showing.

BTW, I agree with Rob. I'm not a very religious person, but I have no problem learning about or participating in celebrations with all of my diverse friends, especially if the celebration involves food. This is how we can learn acceptance and tolerance - get to know more about what is important to a culture.

Hugs,
Marla

tgal
01-05-2011, 07:01 AM
I heard the TSA one and it is a HOOT! I am posting the link below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qdb6wC0Iz4

SandyR
01-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I haven't heard Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer in years. Probably too politically incorrect for radio around here (a complete joke since we have Howard Stern in our back pockets). I completely agree with everyone about the stores at Christmas. It's overkill. I don't miss working retail at all since the retailers are so greedy for green during the holiday season. They forget the root words of holiday are holy and day not shopping and day.

magistramarla
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Mari,
Thanks for the link. I listened to it and howled.
I've traveled by air a lot, and I've never had a problem. I've gotten a lot of laughs out of all the hoopla around this.
This was a hoot to listen to!
Hugs,
Marla

tiggerlishus - Heidi
01-06-2011, 04:42 AM
I heard the TSA one and it is a HOOT! I am posting the link below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qdb6wC0Iz4

OMG THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!!!! that was so funny i had to ring my brother then my sister and play it down the phone to them!! and i am now gonig to share it on my fb page!! lol

tgal
12-28-2011, 07:46 PM
LOL I know it is after Christmas but I have been thinking about the Aussie Christmas songs that Linda posted last year and had to come back and see them. Thanks for the chuckle a year later!

dw172
12-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer. It's okay, cause i'm a grandma!

Sandie

SleepyInSeattle
12-28-2011, 09:44 PM
I really like Dave Matthew's "The Christmas Song" - brings a tear to my eye every single time.

Other than that, I love the soundtrack from A Charlie Brown Christmas....and The Coventry Carol and any other Renaissance polyphony of the season. And of course Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby...

Man, I love Australians. You guys are too funny. I MUST get to your side of the planet one of these days!!!!