PDA

View Full Version : Things just keep getting worse

ritzbit
12-16-2010, 01:47 PM
So I told you all a few weeks ago I wrecked my car. Well we finally got someone to look at it this week, and the damage is worth more than my car. So its being totalled =( And so Im understandably upset and the first thing my mom says is maybe you should get a real job, like thats really what I needed to hear right now. I just started a tutoring job last week, but its only 2 days a week an hour each day for ten bucks. Its not much but I can do it easily and its not like Im on my feet and getting sick from it. The only other job I've had so far was working at McDonalds and it was the worst experience. I never got breaks, I was on my feet for 8 hours at a time without getting to sit down or get a drink. I hated it. I got sick and went into a flare. Im only 18 and thats my only work experience so I know I wont be able to find a good job that would be much different than that. I really need a job where Im not on my feet as much. But there is nothing like that for someone my age. I just get really angry because my mom knows all this but throws comments out there like that all the time and she knows it frustrates me. And Im not exactly in the mood to talk about that right now knowing I officially dont have a car. Sorry for my rant Im just sooo frustrated right now.

scubagramplit
12-16-2010, 02:10 PM
I feel for ya ritz, this has truely been a week from hell. I pray that all improves for you. God Bless.

Linda From Australia
12-16-2010, 04:01 PM
8 hours without a break, that isn't legal is it? My daughter works at a gift shop for 2 days a week, and picks up 4 tutoring jobs for 5 hours spread out during the week while she is studying. Money gets tight at times, but she picks up extra shifts at the gift shop during holiday time. Are you able to pick up any more tutoring jobs while studying? Get your Mum to spread the word out. Oh and my daughter also totalled her car (she is also 18) and now my husband is slowly working through the wreckers to try and fix it up. We have another car we were going to sell but she is using it at the moment, she really needs it to go to her tutoring jobs. (which she doesn't do during the holidays because the kids don't want to do school work on holidays when their friends are on holidays)

red246
12-16-2010, 04:34 PM
(((HUGS)))) sorry to hear about your car. how about a receptionist position part time? you're not on your feet, most don't require you to run around. that's how i got started in admin work when i was younger. if you're up to it, that is. look in the papers, look online, heck you could even cold call - you never know. if you have a good phone voice & etiquette, they will usually train you to do the rest. suggestion if you do decide to look into it - stay away from hair salons, it's never just a sit down & it is VERY hectic.

tgal
12-16-2010, 04:45 PM
So sorry things are not going well! I will keep my fingers crossed that something better comes along!

ritzbit
12-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks you guys. I hope that things do get better. I keep telling myself that they will but nothing has turned around yet. Today was so much better than yesterday at least. It was my last day of school before break so it was pretty stress free. We had a secret santa exchange in one of my classes and my teacher got me and she knitted me a hat! It really made my day I dont think anyone has made me something before, especially not something so nice! And I dont even know her that well, so I thought it was really nice of her to spend her time making it for me because she knows I always have a hat on, though Im not sure if she knows why. It just really made my day especially after the bad day I had yesterday.

ritzbit
12-22-2010, 12:57 PM
So finally insurance got back with us today about how much I'll be getting for my car. $1815! I cant believe Im getting that much we were thinking I'd get $800. Im so happy. Im getting $700 more than I paid for the car in the first place! Its my little Christmas miracle lol

tgal
12-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Oh I am so happy for you! I know you have had some rough times lately but it is great when out of the blue something good happens. It seems to wipe out a bit of the negative of the previous days! Glad you had a negative wipe out day!

Angel Oliver
12-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Thinking of you Riz.xxxxx

Hunniebun
12-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Woohoo! Great news indeed.

ritzbit
12-22-2010, 11:08 PM
It was the best thing that could have happened today! And I went out with a friend and watched Inception and Despicable Me. Both really good movies. I've been praying for a good day to come and it finally has right before Christmas! I hope that nothing ruins it now that everything seems to be working out =)

Linda From Australia
12-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Great news, so are you going to go out and buy yourself another car for Christmas?

ritzbit
12-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Im getting one as soon as I can find one lol It'll be my present to myself =)

ritzbit
12-23-2010, 08:09 PM
More GOOD news =) I got 2 acceptance letters today! Soooooo happy!!! Its 2 of my top 3 colleges =) After all the bad stuff the past month its so good to have so many good things happening just in time for the holidays. I've been in a much better mood the past few days.

tgal
12-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Oh good for you! Thank you so much for sharing this with us! It is nice to hear when things turn around. Ok, so tell us who accepted!

ritzbit
12-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Georgetown and Bellarmine =) They are both really good schools, and Georgetown has a really good pre-med program. I would really like to go there if I can come up with the money =)

Linda From Australia
12-23-2010, 11:43 PM
I wonder if you can edit this thread to Things just keep getting worse - BETTER!!!!

rob
12-24-2010, 03:05 AM
Georgetown and Bellarmine =) They are both really good schools, and Georgetown has a really good pre-med program. I would really like to go there if I can come up with the money =)

That is awesome news Ritzbit. Georgetown and Bellarmine are excellent schools.

Saysusie
12-27-2010, 10:34 PM
This is GREAT news Rizbit...both are very good schools and I hope that you are able to put together a finiancial package to help you go to the one of your choice. Best of Luck

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ritzbit
12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks =) I am scheduling an interview to possibly get more scholarship money than I already have, I hope it goes well. It wont be for a few weeks.

rob
12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks =) I am scheduling an interview to possibly get more scholarship money than I already have, I hope it goes well. It wont be for a few weeks.

Have you looked into the possibility of getting a Pell Grant? You might qualify, and a Pell Grant does not have to be paid back like a student loan. Something to consider, I think.

ritzbit
12-28-2010, 07:39 PM
My dad keeps telling me to look at stuff like that. I dont know anything about grants though.

SandyR
12-29-2010, 11:15 AM
My dad keeps telling me to look at stuff like that. I dont know anything about grants though.

Congrats Rtiz!!!!

Such wonderful news! I am glad to hear you will have your own wheels again soon. What a relief!

And the college news is terrific too! Congrats on your acceptances. I used grants to fund most of my college education and would recommend them after scholarships. There is a book called the Scholarship Book -link attached- that your hs and local public library should both have. You can also get a current edition at any bookstore. Take a good look everywhere, including google. There are TONS of scholarship dollars available and so many of them are specific to some category that you fall into. Scholarships for people of different scholastic abilities, socio-economic backgrounds, intended majors, extra-curricular activities, talents, even gender and nationality. This book was a humongous help to me when I was looking around for scholarships. Also, look up the Coca-Cola Scholarship. That's a good program too. Oh and the schools you are looking to go to have scholarships for incoming freshman that you may be applicable for.
http://www.amazon.com/Scholarship-Book-12th-Private-Sector-Undergraduate/dp/0735204101

froggal
12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
that is awesome news! Now keep your fingers crossed that a job you will both enjoy and be able to do without being in pain comes along! I know it will happen, and I will keep you in my prayers!