PDA

View Full Version : Heat and Lights at my new job... a Lupus nightmare!

Islablue
12-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I had to go to my car last week and cool down because the heat was on 82. Every time I turn it down to a balmy 78 someone comes back and tells me to stop doing that and that they can't handle the air! Not to mention the flourescent lighting is frying me (despite my daily application of SPF 50). Id wear long sleeves but it's SO HOT in there I cannot stand it. I have a fan going on me and I never wear warm clothes. I have been sick a few times since starting there and i cannot take it. I need that job really badly and don't want them to think I'm tryign to start trouble. What should I do? I cannot take the heat!

tgal
12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey Blue,

That is such a hard place to be. I would suggest getting a few very thin long sleeve shirts. That is what I did. I wore those, sunscreen and a hat in my office. You will be surprised how much the hat helps. I too kept a fan on myself and I always took my breaks outside. I also spoke to my boss about taking 3 5 min breaks instead of 1 15 min. break in the morning. It worked out so that I was able to take an outside cool down break about 7 times a day (3 in the morning... lunch time.. and 3 in the afternoon).

Hopefully some of that will help you.

Islablue
12-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Those are good suggestions. Thank goodness my desk is in the back. Though this girl that I was helping train last week said my red arms were "scaring" her! I told Zach, my husband, and I swear he was so pissed he said I needed to report her. I'm not going to unless she says something else. Oh great.. just remembered she is going to be sitting next to me. People are so rude. I'm sure she will LOVE my hat. Oh well. I really like the job b/c my boss doesn't micro-manage me. She wouldn't even know if I took short breaks because she doesn't check on us very much. I am trying to get up at least once an hour to rest my eyes and body. I just thought about it too, but I could (instead of constantly staring at the computer all day) limit my computer work too. I review medical EOB's and do billing for a DME company and I could write down some of my work and do it all in a short bout of computer use. I'm going to have to get creative. I've enjoyed having money again! I just bought a pair of boots.. not expensive ones, but just some that I've been wanting. It was great to treat myself for the first time in forever. So this HAS to work out for me. If worse comes to worse I will have to speak with my boss about a compromise. Thanks Mari you rock.

Linda From Australia
12-12-2010, 08:56 PM
What about taking toilet breaks every now and then, just to powder your nose so to speak and get away from your computer etc...

SandyR
12-13-2010, 07:56 AM
you might want to call your building super and see if there is something wrong with the air in the office. it shouldn't be blowing hot by you and cold by her at 78*. I have a problem in this office with the temp at times with certain offices in our suite and at this time of year it's usually a fresh air intake that needs to be closed a little or the ac in one office was somehow not properly shut off. and that girl was pretty rude, but if she has no idea why it is that your arms turn red maybe you can just tell her you are extremely sensitive to certain lights and really can't help that the ones in your office happen to be the kind that affect you but that's why your arms are red. you might also be ask the super to change the lights to non-flourescent bulbs.

tgal
12-13-2010, 08:01 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention. Computer screens do emit some UV rays. There are covers that can be put over the screens that help. It doesn't seem to bother me at home because I am not surrounded by UV lighting but when I was at work my face would break out and stay hot. The disability act requires that they give you reasonable accommodations. Ask them for a UV blocking screen for your computer screen. It may help more than you know

Islablue
12-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Linda that's what I'm going to have to do. I am dreading going in this morning after my doctors appt and I love what I do. I just hate the conditions of WHERE I do it. Sandy I'm going to talk to someone about the AC/Heat. There is no reason it should be doing that. If it's still bad in a few weeks I will have to ask the temp agency to move me somewhere else. It's very far from my home and after a long day of frying in the UV/heat its difficult to find the patience I need to drive home. I've stayed sick too. Last week I had a stomach but and this week it's my sinuses. The viruses just thrive in that warm office I guess. I cannot believe how hard it has been just working the past few weeks. I miss my old job SO bad. Of course I was let go before I went to Mayo Clinic in March. I'm going to have to have a good attitude about this though. Mari, I am going to ask for that screen as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh and I did tell the girl that I have Lupus and the lighting burns me like that. She kept staring at me. Some people are so ignorant.

SandyR
12-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Oh and I did tell the girl that I have Lupus and the lighting burns me like that. She kept staring at me. Some people are so ignorant.

You got that right! That fact that you told her makes me mad at her stupidity. I was willing to overlook it if she wasn't educated but clearly she's either insensitive or she has that diarrhea of the mouth syndrome some filter-less people have.

Faith
12-14-2010, 05:48 AM
My hubby was at a conference in Fullerton, California, and there's a gentlemen who invented a part to put on the tubes of flourescent lights to block the uv rays. Unfortunately, can't find the papers. I will continue to look. I wonder if you googled uv block for flourescent lights on the internet? Very cheap compromise and if they really knew how unhealthy those darn uv lights really were; everyone would probably change the darn things. They are now coming out with LED lights in very fancy kitchen lights. I wish technology would push LED and forgo flourescent entirely!! We could all pray about it!!!

Take care and I hope it works out!!!

Islablue
12-21-2010, 09:05 AM
I emailed my boss about the flourescent lights above me. I got her out of office reply. Oh well.. I have my baseball cap on and a fan going on me.. as well as SPF 50. You would think I'm in the tropics. It's been a long morning with the uncomfortability factor though. I'm trying to sit still so I will cool down.

tgal
12-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I emailed my boss about the flourescent lights above me. I got her out of office reply. Oh well.. I have my baseball cap on and a fan going on me.. as well as SPF 50. You would think I'm in the tropics. It's been a long morning with the uncomfortability factor though. I'm trying to sit still so I will cool down.

Did she ever email back? What happened today?