PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Find- Nails

tgal
12-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I was looking for some pictures of Raynaud's syndrome to see if there were any others than the classic bright blue and full white fingers when I ran across this. These nails (bottom of the nail to be exact) look EXACTLY like mine and imagine my surprise when it said "Puffy Nail Fold
If the skin around the nail appears red and puffy, this is known as inflammation of the nail fold. It may be the result of lupus or another connective tissue disorder.
http://forum.xcitefun.net/what-your-nails-say-about-your-health-t37599.html
(it is about halfway down the page with the picture)

Did anyone else know this? Does anyone else's fingers look like this?

teresaa40
12-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Very Interesting Tgal

I have the puffy nail fold and the cracked, peeling nails.

ritzbit
12-09-2010, 07:07 AM
I have it a little on only some of my fingers. My doctor looks at my nail beds very closely every time I see her.

SandyR
12-09-2010, 07:56 AM
very interesting! I knew about the ridges (I have psoriasis) but I also have always been prone to split nails and there was a thyroid issue suspected this past year. I also get that puffy nail fold but it's not all the time and not on all nails.

Linda From Australia
12-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks tgal, that is so me... Puffy Nail Fold
Also I have Pale Nails - Very pale nails are sometimes linked to aging. But they can also be a sign of serious illness, such as: • Anemia
And I also have uncontrolled anemia for over 6 months and I am also aging (if 48 is getting old)

froggal
12-10-2010, 02:23 AM
WOW! That was really interesting! My nails also look that way!

Nonna
12-10-2010, 04:42 AM
My nails have always been bad like this. I thought it was due to my low blood calcium. Now I need to check this out again.
Thanks Mari for the new info

twitching away nonna

Ronnie
01-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Yes mine look that way as well. Another tid bit of nail info is I have a distinct line across every nail horizontally. My Rhuemi told me that was a marking for the onset of severe raynauds. It is a dented line horizontally across every nail. As the nail grows it moves up. It is almost to the edge to be cut off now. I just thought you might like to know that as well.

magistramarla
01-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey Mari,
That was an informative site.
My good rheumy back in Texas used to begin every appointment by taking my hands in hers and examining them. I thought that she was just looking for signs of RA.
I have the puffy nail folds and the ridged nails, and my dx (by the good rheumy) included "mild lupus" and psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis.
The not-so-good rheumy that I have now doesn't come near me at appointments. She just buries her nose in my records and renews prescriptions.
When I told her that I had had a flare-up of psoriasis on my face, she laughed and said that I read too much.

So, the more I learn, the less confidence I have in this rheumy. My hands are weak and achy, too. I wonder if these are signs of RA? It will be an interesting appointment when I return to Texas!
Hugs,
Marla

2pinkhearts
01-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Thank you for that info it was very helpful that puffy nail fold is what i have and boy does it hurt they are so tender. Now i'm wondering what wonderful drug they will give for it, because as it is im not taking any meds for my lupus i'm trying the natural healthy approach. I've been ok but latley i've had to deal with a stressfull situation. I'm sure that has encourage a flare for me. Any suggestion as to a topical cream that may help

thank you

BonusMom
01-09-2011, 09:21 AM
I've almost always had pretty healthy nails. Now, when my hands are really cold and the fingers are turning an assortment of colors, my fingernails are turning a milky white color. They are no longer transluscent and are breaking more frequently, too.

Any idea as to why this might be happening?