PDA

View Full Version : Told someone you have Lupus and they just don't get it?

Colleens
10-29-2005, 08:49 PM
I told one of my friends today that I have Lupus. I knew she didnt know what it was...nor did I expect her to. But she got into some big religious discussion with me instead of asking me about Lupus. Like if I had more faith that I would be healed from it. Hey, I'm a Christian too, but don't thump me on the head when I come to tell you this...this is hard for me...don't ...damn i cant complete my thoughts tonight. I'll try again another time. :mad: :mad:

hatlady
10-30-2005, 02:24 AM
Welcome Colleen,

What a sad thing to happen! You could try visiting www.butyoudontlooksick.com and look at the spoon theory - that often helps people understand what we "lupies" feel.

A supportive friend is worth her weight in gold. I hope, for you, that this friend comes around and begins to understand that this isn't "punishment" for anything. In fact, in many ways, I've found this condition to be a gift - I take life a bit slower now, I savor it and cherish the moment. In time, maybe you'll come to that point, and your friend will understand.

Many hugs.

Ariel
10-30-2005, 05:15 AM
Like if I had more faith that I would be healed from it.

I got that when I was a kid and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I had the added burden of being a "heathen Jew".

I started jokingly referring to it as "G-d's Chosen Illness".

I often have to use a forearm crutch when I walk because of the neuropathy
in my legs and get "witnessed" in parking lots, etc.

Oddly enough, none of it has ever made me want to embrace Christianity. If I would just give up my sinnin' ways........I'd still be sick with diabetes and lupus and not having nearly as much fun as I'm able to have now.

hatlady
10-30-2005, 11:43 AM
:lol: Ariel, you're a stitch! Yes, the heck with it, the sinnin' ways are a lot more fun!

If you're Jewish, you'll remember the patience of Job - heck, God isn't always so kind to his followers either!

Hugs dear.....and one question. What is your picture of? I can't quite make it out, but I like it all the same!

Ariel
10-30-2005, 02:34 PM
What is your picture of? I can't quite make it out, but I like it all the same!

It's a teeny little faerie resting on a piece of barbed wire.

Glad I could give you a chuckle! I'm a firm believer in laughter as good medicine!

hatlady
10-31-2005, 05:41 PM
:D AH! Now I see her! How sweet!

Missy
10-31-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm so sorry about the reaction of your friend - some people just don't get it. So, find some friends that do, and you know this is the place to come to really find people that get it!