PDA

View Full Version : stress into a flare?

ashleybaby715
12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
soo this may be kind of a dumb question, but can stress cause a flare up to come about? because i've been kinda stressing out over all these big assignments and exams and finals coming up...and i've been feeling pretty sick this past week. body aches, migraines and such.
its scary cuz i haven't felt like this since the very first time i was in a flare, before we even knew i had lupus.
and i want to try to avoid it getting worse at all costs !

Nonna
12-02-2010, 04:17 AM
I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that stress makes anything worse. I know I always feel sick when I stress. Maybe Susie will be able to explain it better. I always get my mores all wixed.

tgal
12-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Hi Ashley,

The answer is yes, stress will can bring on a flare. Stress causes upset to your body and in a Lupus/autoimmune body it can cause things to get out of whack. One of the main things we can do is try to alleviate the stress from our lives as much as possible. I know it is difficult. There is not only the stress of regular life (family, school, work etc) but then we have the stress of being ill.

You may need to go back to your doctor and have your meds checked/changed before things get worse. Try to relax. Stress isn't good for anyone and it really can make a flare come on or get much worse

ritzbit
12-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Stress is my biggest cause of flare ups. Every time I get stressed I get really sick. If its mostly being caused by school I'd say to just try to pace and spread all the work out as much as you can. And if its possible ask for a little more time on your assignments. If you explain to your professors how sick its making you I'm sure you could work something out. I hope you start feeling better I know how much it sucks to be stressing about school while you're sick.

kim,l
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
yes ashley i can definetly say from experience stress is a major cause of flare ups i suffer worse when i am stressed it affects my whole body also my rheumi has confirmed this and constantly advises me to try to reduce my stress levels hugs kim l

Saysusie
12-02-2010, 10:16 PM
The answer is a most definite and resounding YES. In fact, as others have mentioned, stress is one of the biggest culprits for causing a flare-up and for causing new symptoms to appear.
We are told that it is very important for us to do all that we can to eliminate and/or reduce the stressors in our lives. It is much easier said than done, I know. But it is important to our health that we try not to allow stress to affect our health.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
12-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Hey Ashley,
It's good to see you again, but so sorry that you are feeling bad. Yes, stress can do a lot to your body, especially a body that has AI issues. Professors are human, so if you have a quiet, calm talk with them about what is going on, I'm sure that you can get some extensions on those assignments.
When I was in college, I once badly pulled some ligaments in my ankle and was on crutches and major pain meds at exam time. Most of my profs just gave me the grade that I was making (A) and exempted me from the exam. My Greek prof made me take the exam. My boyfriend (later husband) helped me to the classroom. I was high as a kite on pain meds, so I was sure that I had bombed the test. As it turned out, I made the highest grade in both beginning Greek classes and won an award! I guess that I really knew the stuff, and the meds relaxed me so much, it just all came pouring out!
Good luck, kiddo, and try to relax!
Hugs,
Marla

mountaindreamer
12-03-2010, 06:24 AM
hi ashley,

so glad to be in touch with you again. i am so sorry to hear about your flare and stress from school. like everyone has said, YES, controlling stress if very important. think about it....if you are stressed, your immune system works harder, so therefore, those of us with AI issues, this causes our antibodies to attack at a faster rate.....i know it is not scientific, but makes sense....please, ask that your professors work with you. Some schools have counselors for the purpose of working with students who have disabilities and need some extra considerations finishing assignments and exams.

good luck to you, and hope you feel better really soon.

ashleybaby715
12-03-2010, 08:27 PM
hey everyone.
yeah Pitt actually has a disabilities program which i am in, but since the semester is over after next week... and we move into finals, there really isn't much delay they can put on the assignments.
needless to say, i did get them all done, but i am paying for it in the end =/ all i've done today, is sleep. blah. i hate thattt ! like a normal amount of sleep is okay, but i slept for a REALLY long time today... Christmas break needs to get here NOWW

magistramarla
12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Take care of yourself, sweetie.
Good luck on those exams, and then enjoy that break!
Hugs,
Marla

ashleybaby715
12-03-2010, 11:25 PM
i'll try my best! and if i don't make it back on here right away, i hope everyone has a nice holiday!!