PDA

View Full Version : Kidney stone surgery

magistramarla
11-25-2010, 10:33 PM
I've written before about my youngest daughter, Meg, having a kidney stone while she was pregnant.
After Ryan was born, the urologist used a laser to break the thing up.
At her re-check in October, he found that it was still there, so he "zapped" it again.

The laser didn't work at all, so she had surgery on Wednesday. He tried to remove the stone through her ureter, but the ureter is too narrow. He left a stint in to "stretch" and enlarge the ureter, and will try again next week to get the stone.

Meg had a miserable Thanksgiving. She is in a lot of pain. She has spent the day curled up on the couch with Crixus, her loyal Doberman. Believe it or not, that dog treats the baby as if he is "his" puppy, and adores Meg. He whimpered along with her today, and was upset that his beloved mistress is in pain.

I can't wait to get Meg to her sister's house this Christmas, where we can all take care of her and let her rest up while we enjoy Ryan. I also can't wait to give her some of Momma's cooking.

I know that some of you have dealt with these kidney stone issues before. Has anyone else had this situation happen?
Hugs,
Marla

tgal
11-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Oh Marla I am so sorry! As hard as it is for us to be ill it is 100 times worse when it is our kids! Sadly I have no experience with this but I will be sending up good thoughts for your daughter and your family. As always I am here if you need a shoulder

Nonna
12-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Mari is so right, it's so hard when it's our kids or even grandkids.

Big hugs and good thoughts and prayer are being sent your way

rob
12-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm sorry to that Marla, I've never had that sort of problem before, but I know it is painful to endure. It's funny how our pets sense these things. I hope Meg gets to feeling better ASAP.

Rob

Linda From Australia
12-03-2010, 06:38 PM
How is your daughter feeling now that she has started to recover. I hope she will have more energy during the Christmas celebrations.

Saysusie
12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Marla;
I have not experience with kidney stones at all. I just wanted you to know that you and your daughter are in my thoughts.
Please let us know how she is doing?

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
12-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Update on Meghan:
The stint is in, and she's in a lot of pain. The doc wasn't able to reach the stone on the first try - her ureter is too small. Hopefully, the stint will stretch it, and he'll be able to reach it next Wednesday, when he tries again. Meanwhile, the anti-spasmodic gave her a dry mouth and she couldn't eat. He gave her another one, but it didn't work as well. She's taking the one that works and living on Ensure.
Tyler has to work, so she's home alone with an 11 month old with the stomach flu and a dog who has just gone through neutering. She doesn't have a very happy home at the moment! I wish that I could be there, but then again, I know that I could never lift Ryan or be able to bend over to help Crixus very much.
I really can't wait to get them all to Hillary's house for Christmas. Her three older sisters will help me to coddle her for a couple of weeks.
Hugs,
Marla

Linda From Australia
12-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Gosh - can't they just operate to get it out and then she can recover. I suppose that was a dumb question. Blasting it I suppose is less invasive. I am not sure about it being less invasive, what about the pain she is in, not to mention, the disruption to her life? Isn't recovery from an operation far less invasive?

magistramarla
12-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Linda,
They tried the blasting twice and it didn't work. It seems that they prefer to go through the ureter rather than to make an incision through the abdomen. Perhaps that will be the last solution that they will try.
Meg has had a very difficult time of it. She had a compression fracture of her spine in a roll-over accident two years ago, so she has a hard time lifting her hefty little boy. It seems like the poor kid always has one more thing to deal with.
Meanwhile, Momma worries.
Hugs,
Marla

tgal
12-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Oh poor thing! My thoughts are with all of you. Please keep us posted Marla

magistramarla
12-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Latest update:
Meg had the second surgery last Wednesday. The doc was able to see inside her kidney. It wasn't a stone, but her kidney was lined with calcium plaque. He was able to break it apart and take it out through the stent. Once that stent was out, she started feeling fine. She's doing great by now.
She called me today to ask me if Ryan would get sick from eating dog food! She found him stuffing the dog's food into his mouth. I laughed and told her that I think every little boy does that - LOL.
Hugs,
Marla

Linda From Australia
12-16-2010, 04:37 AM
I am so pleased your daughter is starting to feel better. Hopefully she enjoys her family Christmas, kicking her feet up and letting everyone fuss over her

Nonna
12-16-2010, 04:40 AM
Great news

tgal
12-16-2010, 04:51 AM
That is wonderful Marla! I am so glad that she is feeling better! I had to laugh at the dog food comment. My teen daughter and her friends did that about a year or so ago just to see who would actually do it!

SandyR
12-16-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm glad to hear that she if feeling better! Your dog food comment made me laugh too. I remember when my 19yr old niece was a toddler one of the grandmothers in her play group told everyone she teethed all her children with dog biscuits. LOL.

Lightworker
11-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Marla, it has been nearly a year since you posted this about your daughter but I would like to know if you learned any other information about what the doctor found, the calcium plaque that was lining her kidney? I am asking becuase I have had kidney problems and they have not been able to identify the source of the stones. I am having severe symptoms of kidney stone that started this mornng. I had problems earlier this year, started in January and I had a similar procedure in February with surgery and a stint that your daughter had. It was extremely painful - worse than childbirth because there was no relief until they took that stint out after two weeks. Bless her, she must be a very strong woman. I hope she and the baby are doing well, it will be the first Christmas coming up for them. I am glad that she was able to get the help she needed. If you have any other info on that plaque, please share with me, I would like to learn more about that.

Thank you,
Mary Beth

magistramarla
11-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi Mary Beth,
I've just now noticed this. Wow, it has been a year. Meg is doing fine, and I don't think that she's had any more relapses of it.
Ryan will be two years old on New Year's Day, and he is a real handful.
I hope that the procedure worked as well for you. One thing that I told Meg - be sure to take a cranberry pill every day - it does help.
Hugs,
Marla