PDA

View Full Version : A moment to whine

tgal
11-21-2010, 10:19 AM
OK, I wasn't feeling good Sat night (my daughter even said she knew I was about to flare). My head was in a horrible place. I couldn't find the words I needed and talking to me was like playing charades. My 15 year old had a sweet 16 party to go to and I had to find her a ride and a ride home because I was not letting her take the car. (As a side note I am not supposed to drive although I will drive around the areas I know when my head is feeling clear).

9:30PM after laying on the couch for several hours (trying to talk to linda but couldn't muster the energy to type an answer after a while) I looked down at my westie pup and noticed dark patches under the skin on the top of his head that had never been there before. Let me explain why this was a big deal. 5 days ago there was a question of if the pup got into rat poison or not. Apparently the new kitten got under something none of the dogs could and found rat bait that was put out 2 years ago when we moved in here (and then forgot about). I believed the bait was most likely gone but when I saw the package chewed up I knew that Moe had been the one to get in it.

I read up on rat poison earlier in the week and went to the Feed Store to talk to them about what to watch for because I am not working and don't have any money and really couldn't afford a trip to the vet. He acted fine all week but when I saw those dark spots I remembered reading that dark spots under the skin were a sign of rat poison ingestion and that the blood isn't clotting correctly. Soooo I drug myself off the couch and called the emergency vet and talked to them about it. They say that he needed to come in.

Well, the closest one to me is about 50 min. away and it was Sat night so I couldn't find anyone to drive me but I couldn't let the dog die so here we went. When we FINALLY made it to the vet I was hurting so bad and I was so thankful when they sat me down in the exam room! After about 10 min I STOPPED being excited about sitting down in the exam room. All of a sudden I felt my skin begin to burn and my eyes felt like they are on fire. I looked down at my arms and my skin was bright red and I finally realized that I was sitting in a room with bright florescent lights just like the kind in my office when I worked.

Long story a bit shorter: The dog is fine. I spent 300 bucks that I didn't have and I am covered in a rash and swollen from head to toes. It is going to be a long day.

rob
11-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm glad your dog is OK. We're all having a messed up time of it lately here. I've been dealing with my oldest cat Sophie, not eating food and vomiting everything she tries to drink. She's getting old, and I was pretty worried, as she's a bit on the thin side already. Turns out she was constipated! A couple days worth of laxative, and she's doing much better. Me on the other hand, well, I woke up with the characteristic burning in my jaw that precedes a flare, only to stand up and have a lightning bolt go through my skull. My old friend TGN has reared it's painfully ugly head after nearly a year of being dormant. It's the kind of pain even IV opiate painkillers won't touch.

I wrapped my head in a cold towel, took a fistfull of Naproxen, and waited for it to subside. As quickly as it came on, it went away, after about two hours of misery. I have a feeling of pressure in my head today, but no blinding pain. My hands and feet feel like they are on fire from the inside. Sometimes, I really hate all this autoimmune inflammatory bulls**t! Frak off and leave me alone. I've said it before, if Lupus was a person, I'd beat them senseless until they went away.

I can sympathize with you Tgal, I really can. Feel better.

Rob

Hunniebun
11-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Aw tgal, it'll be ok, you'll feel better soon. I'm sure if your puppy could talk he would tell you how much he appreciates what you did for him, you are a good pet owner!

Saysusie
11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Tgal and Rob;
Yes, there has been an epidemic of health issues these past few months. It seems that so many of us are dealing with repeated issues, with little to no time in between to recuperate.
Tgal, I, too, am glad that your dog is OK, but so sorry that you had to spend so much $ needlessly and that it resulted in you having a flare up. But, at least you do not have to contend with the stress of an ill and dying companion. How are you feeling today?
Rob: I am so sorry to hear about the dreaded TGN showing up again. I know how horrible that pain is for you. Happily, it subsided as quickly as it appeared and I am praying that this will be its only appearance for at least another year.
How old is Sohie? My cat Alexis (originally Lauri's cat) is 10 yrs old. Lauri purchased her when she was born, which was 2 months prior to Lauri's passing. So, her age coincides with the length of time that we have been without our sweet Lauri. Needles to say, she is very, very special to me. But she is showing signs of her age and I'm getting a bit frightened :-(
I am sending you both gentle hugs hoping that you continue to feel better.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

kim,l
11-21-2010, 04:22 PM
dear tgal happy your dog alright sorry you are not well its right all of us seem to be suffering health issues more in the last few months and rob hope you feel better soon hugs kim l

magistramarla
11-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Tgal,
I hope that you feel better soon. I know what it is like to agonize over what to do about a pet. I'm glad that he's ok. Is the kitty ok, too?

Rob,
I sure hope that this was a quick flare and that you are on the mend. I'm sure that Karen knew what Sophie needed.

Saysusie,
I've had lots of cats as pets over the years. With good care, most of mine have lived 18-20 years. You should have many more good years with your Alexis. Is she eating a good quality, senior formula food? We've found that Nutro-Max was best, except for those with urinary problems, who need to be on a science diet from the vet.

tgal
11-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Thank you all for being so wonderful. Although I am in now way back to my new normal I am not near as bad as yesterday. Thanks to everyone for caring.

Rob I hope you are feeling better today. Congrats on the vet. LOL that can come in handy!

I call my animals my fur children because they are simply another part of my family. They accept me even in my new state.

OK, I have to get ready for the SS doctor. I need to go show him how nuts I am :)

Nonna
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Gentle Loving Hugs to you all. Our pets are our comfort. They cuddle when we feel bad. They stay with us and let us know we are not alone. They love us and we love them.

kim,l
11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
yes i agree i have 2 shitzu dogs scruffy and gemma and a cat named puss puss she was abandoned when we came to this house 5 months ago and starving near death we fed her and loved her and now she is one of the family since we did not know her name we called her puss puss they make you feel better when you are having a bad day hugs kim l

magistramarla
11-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Kim,
How sweet of you to take in and love a poor little abandoned kitty when you had so many problems of your own going on! She will return the love to you many times over.
No wonder things are turning around for you - you deserve it!
Hugs from the cat lady,
Marla

Saysusie
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Marla;
Thank you for the information about the possibility that Alexis may be around for a much longer time. I do give her a senior formula that is also for indoor cats (she is de-clawed so she does not get to go outside on her own). My Vet has suggested that we give her wheight control cat food because she is so fat. This is a problem because my other cat, Pharaoh, is 3yrs younger than she and he is underweight (cuz Lexie eats all of the food - lol). I may have to feed them separately now that they are requiring different diets and this is going to take some coordination on our part. The other problem is that my husband and I travel so often and are unable to separate their meals when we are gone. During the times that we are away, they are fed with the use of a 14 day feeder that dispenses small amounts of food 3 times/day. There is no way to separate this food :-(
We are still working out the logistics in this matter (lol). But thank you, again, for the information :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

SandyR
11-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Marla;
Thank you for the information about the possibility that Alexis may be around for a much longer time. I do give her a senior formula that is also for indoor cats (she is de-clawed so she does not get to go outside on her own). My Vet has suggested that we give her wheight control cat food because she is so fat. This is a problem because my other cat, Pharaoh, is 3yrs younger than she and he is underweight (cuz Lexie eats all of the food - lol). I may have to feed them separately now that they are requiring different diets and this is going to take some coordination on our part. The other problem is that my husband and I travel so often and are unable to separate their meals when we are gone. During the times that we are away, they are fed with the use of a 14 day feeder that dispenses small amounts of food 3 times/day. There is no way to separate this food :-(
We are still working out the logistics in this matter (lol). But thank you, again, for the information :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Perhaps you have a friend or relative who would be willing to come and feed the cats while you are away? I've done a lot of dog and cat sitting as a side job and cats are so easy to feed- usually in and out in about 20 mins fed and litter changed unless the cat is social and likes to play. They're also a lot cheaper to pay a sitter for since the sitter only has to come once a day or less for a cat, but if it's someone close, maybe they will do it for free.

SandyR
11-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Tgal I am so happy to hear your furboy is all ok. That is a scary thing to have happen. I am glad it all worked out well with you.

Rob - thank God it was such an easy thing. I'll bet she's a lot happier now that you figured out why she was in a crappy mood. (I know - that's a groaner. sorry, couldn't pass on the pun)

Saysusie
11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Marla; I have considered this option also,thank you. They would have to be fed separately because Lexi will eat all of her food and then eat Pharaohs while he just stands back and watches her eat until she'd finished, then he will move up to his plate and eat what is left (she is such a lilltle oinker).
My sister lives very close and I am sure that she will do this for us when we are away. Since they have the feeder, she need only come, maybe, 2-3 times per week to feed them separately. I will call her this evening to ask if she would be willing to do this for me.
Thank you, again, for the advice.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

serand4
11-23-2010, 05:07 PM
As a "mom" to five kitties and one 12 year old beagle, I totally understand where you're coming from. I could be in the worst place in the world but somehow would get them to the vet. I've even admitted to my parents that I keep my credit card freed up for the sole purpose that I may have to use it if one of the animals get sick. I'm really sorry that you had to suffer too.

I think the holidays must be really hard on all of us. I've never been so tired and unfortunately, very cranky. I'm trying to give my son lots of space because I just can't deal with an arguement. I have a wicked tongue when I'm tired and in pain and no matter what, he doesn't deserve to be at the other end of that. I'm dreading Thanksgiving. My brother and his wife are always fighting and their kids are so darned loud!! I've always been a little sensitive to sound but lately everything seems to be on max! It's truly like plucking on that last nerve.

Rob, I hope you get better and Tgal, animal karma is great karma to have. You will be rewarded. Happy holidays to all. We'll get through it!