PDA

View Full Version : Barretts Disease

Merrilyn OZ
11-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Anyone out there have Barretts? Just had that added to my list of challenges

tgal
11-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi Merrilyn,

I have not been diagnosed with Barretts but I have been diagnosed with GERD and therefore they are watching for Barretts. Apparently the two tend to go hand in hand. What kind of meds are you on for this? What did the doc say?

Merrilyn OZ
11-19-2010, 05:02 AM
Hi Tgal,
I've had problems with GERD symptoms which were'nt picked up on for some years. Had an internal bleed 6 months ago and had to have an endoscopy which is when they picked up on the Barretts, have put me on Pantoprozole which has certainly stopped the reflux etc. Had another endoscopy and they did a biopsy on Monday will have results next week.have fingers crossed that alls OK.

tgal
11-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Hey Merrilyn,

Let me know how everything goes. I will be thinking of you!

Merrilyn OZ
11-27-2010, 01:55 AM
Hi Tgal
Well results not to good apparently some signs of cell change, another lot of biopsys ordered for next Friday Ughhhhhhh!!!!! Hope its OK Will keep you informed

Linda From Australia
11-27-2010, 04:10 AM
Oh Dear Merrilyn, hopefully it is nothing too difficult to treat. we'll have to catch up again soon. Did you meet up with Han last week??

Merrilyn OZ
11-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Linda
Yes I did meet up with Hannah, had a cuppa with her and met her husband and children, was a very nice morning. Will be on Gold Coast from the 8th any time to catch up this week end?
Will keep you posted on the Barretts problem but won't have any results until mid Dec.

Merrilyn OZ
12-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Results in Not Good. Have a Dysplastic nodule which will be removed next Thursday. Lets hope they get it all. Threw Christmas plans into chaos. Have managed to get a Flight on Christmas eve so will still get to spend Christmas with daughter and family - fingers crossed.

tgal
12-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi Merrily,

My fingers and toes are crossed for you as well. Thankfully you will still get to be with your family. Please keep us posted on how the surgery goes

SandyR
12-09-2010, 07:36 AM
*fingers crossed* do you have someone taking you to surgery if your daughter is so far away?

Bonita
12-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I have had Barrottes for over 10 years now long before i was diagnosised with lupus and polomysitis. I have to go to the gastroenterologist every 6 months and have had many endoscoscopes done. I always have precancerous cells present but so far no surgery. This is something that has to be monitered. I hope you have a good doctor that will watch you closely. Bonita

Linda From Australia
12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Merrilyn that is such sad news, I know you were looking forward to going over East. Make sure you rest up big time ready to spend Christmas with your daughter and her family. How long will you be in hospital?

Merrilyn OZ
12-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Thanks every one.
Will be in hospital over night on Thursday, as nodule will be removed via the endoscope. I'm lucky that I have a very supportive husband who will take me to hospital and will undoubtedly be back to check on me after the op.
Will definitely be taking it easy for a day or two.
Find reading different threads very informative, for years I've been extremely tired after being out doors for any length of time but just put it down to too much sun & fresh air( which is probably true, but did'nt realise why)- after spending the morning at my grandson's athletics on the weekend on a very sunny day I realised that my reaction was as described by other Lupus sufferers. Will definitely be taking better precautions in future.

Linda From Australia
12-15-2010, 05:35 PM
All the best for your operation today and take it easy so you can enjoy your Christmas with your family. We'll catch up after Christmas, but you will have to visit me because I will be resting for the next 7 weeks

Merrilyn OZ
12-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Thanks every one. But today was a no go. Got to hospital at 7.30 - second on op list - great. Anethitist comes gives me the usual once over and says Oh!! you have a heart murmur have to have an echocardigram before I'll give an anesthetic - No matter that I've had it since I originally had Pericarditis at 18 and have since had 3 major surgeries. So spend until 2.30 waiting for Echocardigram by which till its toooo!! late to be included on todays list. Sorry Surgeon will call later when the anethitis seen the results and conferred with him. Which he has now done - heart Ok no problem!!! I tried to tell them that, reschedule for 7.30 Monday.
That feels better now I've had my grizzle.

Linda From Australia
12-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Oh POOOO !!!!! That is no good. If it was WEdnesday and at Saint John of God, we could share a room.

tgal
12-16-2010, 07:26 AM
oh nooooooo!! I am so sorry! I hope everything turns out ok and you can have the surgery on Monday!

SandyR
12-16-2010, 08:21 AM
how annoying that they didn't realize that before! does this new date mean you have to move back your plans to your daughter's again?

Merrilyn OZ
12-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Well surgery is definite for Mon a.m. now. I'm still going to my daughters have been told its a bit of a risk but one I'm willing to take. Only time there could be a problem is on the flight which is 4 to 5 hours long but reckon if there's going to be a bleed it will be in the first few days any way.

Han
12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey Merrilyn,

Let me know if there's any running around I can do for you? I'm pretty well ATM, and Mike is off uni, so we've got plenty of time.

Hugs,
Han xx

Merrilyn OZ
12-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks Han appreciate the thought. Should be Ok only an overnight stay all being well. But will keep you posted

Linda From Australia
12-21-2010, 01:30 AM
How did you operation go? There must be something in the air because my operation got postponed for 2 weeks because my doctor hurt his hand. Now I have to get extra time off work, which is what I was trying to avoid. Hopefully you will heal well and enjoy your family Christmas

tgal
12-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Just stopping by to say that I hope the surgery went OK. My thoughts are with you, Merrilyn.

Oh Linda I am so sorry! I know you were hoping to try and do this while you were off for the break. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Please keep us posted!

mountaindreamer
12-21-2010, 03:07 PM
hi Marilyn,

just wanted to stop by and join others in sending gentle hugs. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and your travel plans. I know that seeing your daughter will be worth any discomfort that you endure, that is how us mothers are....hope you are at home and feeling better.

Hi Linda,

You all need to check the water that your drs. are drinking in Australia.....i think they must all have some kind of strange "postponment bug" ha ha ha

Seriously, i am so sorry that you are having to go through surgery. I have missed all of the information, and i apologize for that. but, i do send you gentle hugs, and wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Merrilyn OZ
12-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone for thinking of me I'm sure all those kind thoughts helped.
Nodule removed OK will have to wait for path results and may need some more surgery -- hope not. However am Ok to fly and fully intend to make to make the most of the 2 weeks with daughter and family and face any further problems when I get back. Have follow up appointment on the 11th Jan.

tgal
12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the update Merrilyn! As always keep us posted! Above all have a wonderful holiday with your family!

mountaindreamer
12-21-2010, 07:59 PM
thanks for keeping us posted, Marrilyn.

so glad the surgery went well, and you seem to be recovering nicely. enjoy your visit with you daughter, and have a very merry christmas.

Merrilyn OZ
01-12-2011, 03:42 AM
Had a great Xmas & New Year with daughter and family, was very wet for the first few days but did'nt matter as we were there to see the family.
Have been to follow up appointment - results not good they did'nt get all the growth which is an early stage cancer so I have to have surgery to remove part of the osephagus. Must wait till end of month for cancer Specalist to get back from Europe then it will depend if he'll take me as a patient " due to my complications ie Lupus etc" if not it will be Chemo -Yucky!!!
Wish I did'nt have to wait so long thats the worst part, once you know what the situation is its easier to deal with, whole family's on tender hooks.

Linda From Australia
01-12-2011, 04:22 AM
Oh Merrilyn so sorry to hear about your news.

debbie-b
01-12-2011, 05:46 AM
I am so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Debbie

Bonita
01-12-2011, 08:10 AM
I am so sorry to hear that you have to have more surgery. I will put you on my prayer list and hope things go well. Love and prayers Bonita

mountaindreamer
01-12-2011, 08:33 AM
hi Marrilyn,

so sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery or chemo. you are so right, the waiting is so very hard on you and your family. My thoughts are with you, and am sending you tons of hugs.

Saysusie
01-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Marilynn;
You are in my thoughts and my prayers. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Had a great Xmas & New Year with daughter and family, was very wet for the first few days but did'nt matter as we were there to see the family.
Have been to follow up appointment - results not good they did'nt get all the growth which is an early stage cancer so I have to have surgery to remove part of the osephagus. Must wait till end of month for cancer Specalist to get back from Europe then it will depend if he'll take me as a patient " due to my complications ie Lupus etc" if not it will be Chemo -Yucky!!!
Wish I did'nt have to wait so long thats the worst part, once you know what the situation is its easier to deal with, whole family's on tender hooks.

I am so sorry that it didn't go as well as we hoped! I agree that the waiting is the worst! I tell people all the time that I can take anything just don't leave me in limbo! Just remember that we will be here for you as you go through this

SandyR
01-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Merrilyn,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry to hear that they will be doing more surgery and that you are still fighting this cancer. (((HUGS))) (((PRAYERS))))