PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue is Kicking My Butt

BonusMom
11-17-2010, 09:42 AM
It started in September and I think it's due to decreasing my Plaquenil from 600mg to 400mg and adding Imuran 100mg.
I go to bed at 8:00 pm. and struggle to get up for work at 7:00 am. I'm generally REALLY late one day per week 'cause I can't drag my butt out of bed. Keep in mind I do take Adderall XR (a stimulant) for excessive daytime sleepiness, so I shouldn't be so darn fatigued.

If not Imuran, what else what might the rheumy prescribe? Would other medication choices make me as drowsy?

I have no motivation to do anything, except sleep. I really don't believe its depression because prior to the Imuran I was exercising and feeling great.

BTW-my WBCs are perfect at 6.0, so I can't blame the fatigue on that.

Nonna
11-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Wish I could help you; but I'm in the same boat. My meds haven't changed at all and I'm exhausted. Asleep between 8 and 9 and up at 4am. ready to go back to bed at 11 struggling by 4PM.

It's not depression you're right about that. so why are we getting our butts kicked?????????????

nonna

tgal
11-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Add me into this group. I went to sleep the other night at 9PM and slept until 12:45 the next day. When I woke up I was still tired! I take my meds but can't get rested. If ya'll find the answer please share it with me!

mountaindreamer
11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
hi bonus mom,

i take a weekly 1ml injection of vit b12 for fatigue. I truly believe it helps, but there are still some days where i can go for only a few hours before fatigue sets in. So, the injection is not a "cure all", but it does help. I also find that fatigue is more intense when my fibromyalgia is flaring.

hope you feel better soon,

Hunniebun
11-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Me too, the fatigue just drives me crazy, I am always so tired. I go to bed at 10p.m. and I can only seem to sleep 4 hours a night so it's weird. I wake up exhausted, take my meds plus my vitamins. I've been taking Vit D for a few months now and I noticed that does give me a little bit of a pick me up over the fatigue.

magistramarla
11-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't take Imuran, but I'm feeling that fatigue, too. I really hate the way that I have to plan out small bursts of activity all day, followed by resting on the couch, just to get anything accomplished. I cooked for my gourmet club on Wednesday, and I had to make my pie and my stuffed squash in tiny little increments, taking most of the day. By the time that I packed it up and went to the dinner, I was shaky-tired.
I drove home afterward, and fell into bed. I had such a restless night that I disturbed the hubby's sleep. I had gotten myself too tired, so my muscles spasmed all night.
Have a restful weekend,
Hugs,
Marla

serand4
11-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Add me, too. I go to bed at 10:30pm and take a sleep aid so I go right to sleep. I get up at 7:30am to get my son off to school and then am back to bed by 8:30am and sleep until 11:00am. While it certainly doesn't help you guys, it makes me feel so much better to know I'm not alone. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking advantage of this situation but honest to pete, I absolutely cannot function in the morning. I have a 7:30am ultrasound next week that I really need to do but I'm just not sure how on Earth I'll do it but somehow I'll push through. I try not to sleep during the day but then I find myself literally nodding off by 6:00pm. It's scary for my son to see his mom just go to sleep while he's talking to me. And you're right, the fatigue is not "tired." It's this "I can't move any further" and my brain goes into shut down and my eyes seem to sink a little further into my head. I was out picking up some groceries on a particularly bad day and I know people were avoiding me because I looked so bad -- probably stoned. It's just a horrible feeling overall. I'm going to try the B12. My Plaquenil seems to be kicking in so I'm clinging by my fingnails to the hope that I can use that and cut back on the Prednisone. Anyway, sorry for going on so long. God bless all! We will find a way to cure or at least manage this ugly beast!

sue27
11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
This is the one i hate most about the lupus. fatigue is no fun. At the start of the year i could party all night get 4 hours sleep get up and do a nine hour shift at work and be fine. less that a year later i sleep for 10 hours at night get up then i'm tired within a couple of hours. Of all my symptoms of lupus i wish this one would go. Like to be able to go out on a night time every now and again. My get up and go has got up and gone. lol

Rickigal
11-24-2010, 08:14 PM
I can join this club too. I usually go to sleep by 10 and am up at 6 but never feel rested. I feel like I am in a horrible vicious cycle. I am irritable a lot and sometimes lose my temper with my kids. Then I feel terrible about it. I also have family members who just don't understand. I am constantly reminding my vibrant, healthy family members how tired I am. My mother asks me on a weekly basis why I am so tired. The explaining is exhausting and frustrating. By 2 or 3 o'clock I want to sit or sleep and not move until the next day. I am so fatigued that I usually can't do as many activities that I would like to with my kids. All of the judging and how little I am doing with my children makes me feel guilty so I go into periods of deep depression which makes me stay in bed even more. My worst fear is that my kids will grow up and look back at their childhood and remember that their mommy was always lying down or falling asleep watching a movie. I try to compensate by telling them I love them 1000 times in a day and giving tons of hugs and kisses. This disease certainly kicks my butt at times. I am working hard on acceptance and not worrying so much about what others think.

tgal
11-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I can join this club too. I usually go to sleep by 10 and am up at 6 but never feel rested. I feel like I am in a horrible vicious cycle. I am irritable a lot and sometimes lose my temper with my kids. Then I feel terrible about it. I also have family members who just don't understand. I am constantly reminding my vibrant, healthy family members how tired I am. My mother asks me on a weekly basis why I am so tired. The explaining is exhausting and frustrating. By 2 or 3 o'clock I want to sit or sleep and not move until the next day. I am so fatigued that I usually can't do as many activities that I would like to with my kids. All of the judging and how little I am doing with my children makes me feel guilty so I go into periods of deep depression which makes me stay in bed even more. My worst fear is that my kids will grow up and look back at their childhood and remember that their mommy was always lying down or falling asleep watching a movie. I try to compensate by telling them I love them 1000 times in a day and giving tons of hugs and kisses. This disease certainly kicks my butt at times. I am working hard on acceptance and not worrying so much about what others think.

If you haven't already seen it I suggest going to http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com and find "The Spoon Theory". It is a wonderful tool to help explain to friends and family what it is like having Lupus

I actually went and found the exact link for "The Spoon Theory" and it can be found http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

serand4
11-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I prayed extra hard the past two nights for the strength to get through these two days. Yesterday I thought I had chores to run but my nearly 80 year old parents wouldn't allow me to go out in the rainy, cold weather. Now that's a pathetic statement, isn't it? Beautiful and loving on my folks' part but just plain pathetic on mine! Today is Thanksgiving and I have endless reasons to be thankful but the one thing I'm dreading is the meet and greet with the family. Due to my lung problems, talking is exhausting to me. I also have to take a lot of deep breaths which make it appear like I'm sighing or bored. I could literally read the spoon theory out loud to the family and they wouldn't hear it. These are the people that would consider it hogwash (unless they actually had to live through it!). Today I thank God for all of you and this website. I post daily and I couldn't imagine not reading through the posts and seeing some part of me in each one. It gives me emotional strength and frankly, I'll take ANY strength I can get. Wish me luck, I want to try to actually curl my hair today!

Love and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Islablue
11-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah I sent the spoon theory to my best friend and either she didn't read it or she was too mad at me for missing one of her events to care. She is a good friend most of the time, but sometimes it's not enough. My family doesn't get it but they try REALLY hard to help me out and get it as much as possible. Holidays are bittersweet... so hang in there and I hope your hair looked beautimous!