PDA

View Full Version : Exercise and SLE

Han
11-15-2010, 12:44 AM
I know I've developed a block about exercise, I now associate exercise with flare. I also know that it's important for my health.

Can anyone make any recommendations for what they do? I've done yoga in the past, and will endeavour to get back into it, but really need to come up with a formal plan of attack. Anyone else needing some exercise support? Maybe we could cheer one another on!

Hugs,
Hx

MrsPony
11-15-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm working on this theory at the moment as well (and was about to post a thread about it too!). I started working out about in mid-September and had the worst flair up I've had so far which lasted a week (18/Oct-24/Oct). I walk to work which is only a 5-10 minute walk... we just bought a car so I spent 1.5yrs walking everywhere. I might have had 1 flair up that lasted a night. Now that I'm working out I do a 5-10 minute warm up on the cross-trainer then some weights for arms, legs and some ab work on M/W/F. Then 30min cross-trainer on Tue&Thurs. I don't think I do too much but maybe I'm wrong... I'm wondering if I flair up again if I should stop all together or just do a bit less...

Han
11-15-2010, 01:22 AM
I've got a treadmill that I've used with success in the past, but I've just gotten so fearful that exercise was causing my flares. I've come to the conclusion now that it's simply a part of my hormonal cycle, so need to figure out a gentle exercise routine, and give myself permission to miss a day if I'm flaring (rather than writing the whole routine off as a failure because I've missed a day or two...)

Now, I've been sedentary for nearly a year... I'm thinking if I get back into a daily yoga routine for a couple of weeks, then add a daily half hour, low heart-rate walk that would be a good start. I've just got no idea what a realistic target is.

Nonna
11-15-2010, 05:46 AM
I find that I feel better when I exercise. I have more energy and motivation. But after I have a flare, it's very hard to get going again. I do part of a denise Austin video mild aerobics and ride by exercise bike for 10 mins a the moment.

Hugs

tgal
11-15-2010, 06:41 AM
I am with the group that has the block about exercise. My daughter and I had a gym membership and I would flare so bad after we went to the gym. It didn't matter if I did a full workout or just rode a bike for 20 min. I know I need the exercise but it is not worth a flare for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Bonita
11-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I find that walking is the only exercise my husband and i enjoy together but the arthritis is so bad in my feet plus the heel spur it makes it very painfull and some days i cannot do it. Then i feel depressed i wish at this time in my life i had a smaller house with a bathroom downstairs but i do not . Bonita

Hunniebun
11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I also have RA so that makes exercising a bit harder for me and more painful, but I've noticed that swimming is a really good way to go, and leaves my body feeling good after I'm done for about a day, which is great as I'll take any chance to be pain free even for a little while.

debbie-b
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I also have RA so that makes exercising a bit harder for me and more painful, but I've noticed that swimming is a really good way to go, and leaves my body feeling good after I'm done for about a day, which is great as I'll take any chance to be pain free even for a little while.

I am like you, I have lupus and RA and the RA is to painful to do any exercise. But I have heard many people say that swimming is really good, just like you just stated. The only thing is, I do not want to go swimming in public, until I loose some weight. It's just a visious cicle.

Debbie

SandyR
11-16-2010, 07:45 AM
I am like you, I have lupus and RA and the RA is to painful to do any exercise. But I have heard many people say that swimming is really good, just like you just stated. The only thing is, I do not want to go swimming in public, until I loose some weight. It's just a visious cicle.

Debbie

Yup - have RA
Yup - don't like being in a public pool for that same reason.
sucks-this cycle of too much pain to move, not wanting to move in certain places.
When I can - and tonight I plan to - I go swing dancing. I pay for it about 2 days later, but I feel so much better when I am able to go. If I feel like I can't dance the next dance, I just sit out a spell. It's a cruel joke that the RA makes exercize so painful and yet exercize, even just a little bit, makes the RA less painful.

sue27
11-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Hi tgal. I have been told that swimming is a good way for lupus suffers to exercise. They do say walking as well, but when you ache from head to toe walking is the last thing you want to do. Was advised not to do high impact sport i.e running ,jogging etc as it places to much stress on the joints and can cause flares.

Hope this is helpfull for you and the others

Sue.