PDA

View Full Version : Good home-made cleaner

Han
11-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm chemical sensitive, and have had reactions to every commercial cleaner I've come into contact with. I've done the whole bi-carb and vinegar green cleaning, but then found this recipe, which I adore. I love it because it is environmentally friendly, there are no nasties in it, it's CHEAP to make and the house smells CLEAN after I've used it.

1L warm water
200mL vinegar
2 dessert spoons washing soda
1 tbsp liquid soap (I use 2 tsp of concentrated dishwashing liquid)
up to 1 tbsp Eucalyptus oil (or tea tree, or any essential oil that has disinfecting properties) I use 2 tsp of eucalyptus oil and 1 tsp of lavendar oil, it smells lovely!

Combine all in an empty container (I use my old vinegar bottles)

When using dilute 50:50 with water in a spray bottle for benches, mirrors and windows - will fog mirrors, but a quick buff with a dry cloth fixes it. Add 1/2 cup to mopping water for floors. Use undilluted on toilets.

Have fun
Hx

Merrilyn OZ
11-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Good recipe Han,
Do use Microfibre cloths?
You'll find they do mirrors and basic cleaning with no need for any additive but water.
My husband has a Cleaning/Window cleaning business and uses very little in the way of chemicals ( certain really bad jobs of course require chemicals) but uses Citrus based products and Microfibre as a rule.

Han
11-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Now that my mirrors are clean I find a quick wipe over with a microfibre cloth while they're steamed up is all I need to do, but the spray is good for sticky fingers on cabinet doors (weetbix sets like CONCRETE!). I'll give the windows a try with water and the cloths next time - does your husband one wet and one dry?