PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for serving!!!!

SandyR
11-11-2010, 12:04 PM
To our veterans on WHL (and their families too),

THANK YOU for serving! I know that it is something I could not have done, not because of physical issues but because of my personality type and yet I know it is really the least selfish thing a person can do - to serve others without question or expectation simply for the love of common ideals and values you share. Thank you. I come from a family with a strong military presense and I really appreciate what you have done for me, for our countrymen and women and for the country's ideals, values and freedoms everyday but being that today is Veteran's Day I want to take the time to say a special THANK YOU FOR SERVING FOR ME!!!!

I know that our moderator Rob is a Veteran and Marla's husband Jeff is actively serving and if you know other people on here who we should be thanking, please add them to the list too.

Sandy

tgal
11-11-2010, 12:09 PM
My thanks to each and every person that has served and defended this country.The sacrifices made by them and their families are too many to count. My family enjoys the freedoms that we do because of those who have fought for those freedoms.My thoughts and thanks are with you daily

Bonita
11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Every one should be proud of all our service men and women and the freedoms we have because of their service. I want to wish all of you God speed. Love Bonita

Merrilyn OZ
11-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Here in Australia as in all Commonwealth countries yesterday was Remberance Day where we observe a minutes silence on the 11 hour of the 11 day of the 11th month in Remberance of those who gave their lives defending our Countries and freedom originally started after WWI but now encompassing all Wars since.
One of my grandfathers and my own dad served both served overseas and although they were lucky enough to return home many were not and we remember them for the sacrifice they made.

magistramarla
11-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I'm the one with the military family.
Jeff has served in the Air Force for 29 years and counting.
My son Tom was one of the first Marines to enter Iraq.
My son-in-law Tyler is an Airman at Little Rock AFB.
My father-in-law and two brothers-in-law were Marines.
The other brother-in-law was in the Navy.
My father served in the Navy in WWII and Korea, then served in Vietnam as a civilian.
His sister is a retired Navy nurse, married to a retired Rear Admiral.
Both of our families have a long and proud military history.
My hubby is currently studying at the Naval Postgraduate School, but we were assigned housing at the Army installation.
Veteran's Day has been a big deal around here. I am literally surrounded by military heroes, from every branch of the service.
Hugs and Happy Veteran's Day!
Marla (the Military groupie)

BTW - Happy Veteran's Day to Rob! He usually posts a great story on this day.

rob
11-12-2010, 12:17 AM
I took my Dad out for lunch and a couple of beers today at the local watering hole. He served for 6 years in the USMC, enlisting at the age of 17. Some of that time was spent in Korea from 1951-52. He still remembers his time there like it was just yesterday.

He still stays in touch with a couple of friends that he served with at both Camp Pendelton, and in Korea. We talked about his Grandson, my Nephew, Ben, who after nearly three years of the harshest Special Forces training there is, became a member of the Green Berets earlier this year. At 23, he's far exceeded anyting his Grandfather or I ever did in our time in our respective branches of the service.

The discussion on Veterans Day for us, inevitably ends with talk, and then a toast, to those who did not come home alive. For Ben, it's a friend and fellow Green Beret who was killed in action 2 months ago in Afghanistan. For me, one of my best friends whom I had known since childhood, Jon, was killed in Mosul, Iraq in December of 2007. And for my Dad, well there were just too many to talk about.

Tonight as I write this, there are some damn good people out there in some terribly dangerous situations around the world. They can be so easily forgotten these day, so I'm glad that we have this day to remind us all of the sacrifice and burdens they bear for us.

Rob