PDA

View Full Version : Chatbox

tgal
10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
OK, I may be overstepping my bounds and if I am one of the mods can smack me but I really believe that the chat feature in this forum is not being used to its potential. I can't speak for everyone but I know sometimes I really just want to talk to someone that understands. Yes, the forums help but sometimes I want to have a direct conversation and we have that ability with chat. I also feel like it would help the new comers to feel a bit more welcome if there was a place they could say hello to a live person.

I know that we can't be there all the time but I would be willing to take a shift or two and I am sure some of the others would as well. We wouldn't have to keep it open all the time but if we could just let people know someone would be in chat at 10AM Central and 10PM Central (or something like that) I really believe it would be helpful to people.

I also know that we all have good days and bad so if we could two or three people to agree to cover each shift (whatever time the group agreed upon) then if one couldn't make it there would still be people there if someone had a need to talk.

Would anyone be interested in doing this? It would take several people willing to put in the time. One or two people couldn't do it all because as we all know we never know what we are going to feel like until we wake up! Soooooo... what do ya'll think? Anybody want to start manning the chat board once or twice a day to give people a place to come talk? Do ya'll think it would be helpful or is the forum enough?

"discuss amongst yourselves" (see how many of you are old enough to remember where that came from "

rob
10-28-2010, 06:05 AM
I think you have a pretty good idea actually. I can't volunteer for a shift myself, but what I can do to help is post a schedule as a "sticky" in a couple of the most frequented forums where they would be easy to see for newbies, and we could all mention when we welcome a new member that there is someone here to talk to live and in real-time and that the times are posted in these schedules. I'll run this by Saysusie to be sure it's OK to do this. Upon approval, if you, and others can come up with a schedule, I'll post it as a sticky and I'll keep it updated for you as needed.

Rob

tgal
10-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks Rob!

Bonita
10-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I really could not do this either and i still do not know how to talk on it and i still have trouble navigating on face book because i do not understand it. Good luck Tgal. Bonita

Hunniebun
10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm not on here enough to host...I used to be though but I am trying to get a little more active to keep lifting my depression. It still would be a good idea to have scheduled chat nights though.

froggal
11-03-2010, 08:31 AM
This is a great idea. I will help when I can.

Saysusie
11-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Hello All;
Rob brought this thread to my attention and I think that it is a great idea. I agree that the chat feature is not being used to its potential and I've noticed many who stop in and never get replies. I think that we addressed a similar issue sometime last year, but alas, I am sorry to say that I did not follow through with it. For that, I do apologize. Thank you Tgal for bringing the issue back up to the forefront again :-)
I think that Rob's idea on how to get it started is an excellent one. In that way, we can see how many are interested and how many can devote a scheduled time. Unfortunately, at the present moment, I cannot devote to a specific time each week, but I can devote to specific times that may vary each week/day (as the case may be).
So, let's actually do it this time :-)
Go For It Rob

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

rob
11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Tgal,

We are good to go. Right now it's late and I'm a bit bleary-eyed, so it's time to sign off for the evening. Tomorrow, I'll send you a PM and we can talk over some ideas as to how this can work. Have a good night.

Rob

tgal
11-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Sounds wonderful! Rob, just send me a note and we can discuss it further

xani's mom
11-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I know that I am kind of new, but I would be willing to help. I have little experience with the computer, but a lot with SLE. I think it is a great idea, and just what I was looking for when I joined WHL. As with all of us I never know when I will have a bad day, but if everyone had a back up I think it would work great.

Linda From Australia
12-23-2010, 03:03 AM
It is good to see a lot of people using the chat feature of this forum. Some people chat about every day stuff, some frustrations they are currently feeling, to complain about their pain and suffering, to talk about their pets, to have a joke, and even have opposite ends of the world wars (Yankies versus Ausssies - I think the Aussies are actually winning though). I hope that the people who use the chat feature are feeling welcomed.

One thing I must state though, some of us are having light heated conversations, and people have said that they didn't want to interrupt our conversation. I must point out strongly that when I am having a chat to someone, it isn't a private conversation, and new comers are very welcome. Please do not feel as though you are intruding, I can use private messages if I want a personal conversation without interruptions.

Please feel free to use that chat feature. If you really want to discuss particular issues, let those people who are chatting know that you really want to talk about something that is bothering you. I will make sure that I will pay more attention to your needs, as I feel many other people will also put aside their own conversation to help you out. Have a wonderful Christmas, and if you feel like you need someone to lift your spirit, I will endevour to make you laugh (that is if my brain is feeling OK - and if you can understand Australian humour)

tgal
12-23-2010, 04:06 AM
Perfectly said, Linda! Chat really has taken off over the last few weeks and we are so glad! While we do use it for lighthearted moments the real reason for being there is so that new, scared or upset people have someone to talk to and a place to share. Please feel free to jump in at any time. As Linda said, nothing in chat is private so if you see conversations going on in chat jump in with a "hello" or an "I need help".

Just like the other parts of the forum chat is for all of us and it is to be used as a tool to help bring some peace, joy, understanding and calm to a very chaotic disease. People are never an interruption to the chat, they are the reason for it.

rob
12-23-2010, 04:29 AM
I decided to make this thread a "sticky", so it will be more visible at the top of the page. The chatbox feature has really caught on well.

To all you new members, there's no need to be shy. Feel free to join the conversation anytime!

Rob

lovedbyHim
06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Mari, I long to chat when I am nauseated and wacked out. I also know that in time I could get better at this and encourage others. You have a great big heart Mari. I do prison work with broken women and work full time, but perhaps once I get used to this new forum world i could be an encourager. Bless your efforts!

tgal
06-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi Mari, I long to chat when I am nauseated and wacked out. I also know that in time I could get better at this and encourage others. You have a great big heart Mari. I do prison work with broken women and work full time, but perhaps once I get used to this new forum world i could be an encourager. Bless your efforts!

You already are loved! Linda and i were talking (via pm) about how very busy everyone has become. Busy or in flares. We really need to get the chat box going again. There for awhile it was smoking LOL. Let me get with Linda and red since they were always willing to do morning and evening. I will post here what times someone will be there for sure that way anyone that wants to join in knows what times are good.

As for the big heart...I try but here lately I have had a bigger mouth then heart. LOL Things should be better soon! Love to everyone here!

lovedbyHim
06-03-2011, 12:35 PM
You're a riot! Thanks for the smile.

Linda From Australia
06-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Gee that would be interesting, about the times people will be available to chat. Now how will everyone know what time you are referring to?? Real time (Western Australian time) or all the other times (any where else around the world).

tgal
06-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Gee that would be interesting, about the times people will be available to chat. Now how will everyone know what time you are referring to?? Real time (Western Australian time) or all the other times (any where else around the world).

Don't start the Aussie vs US thing in here too!!! Red and I will have to get you! lol

YollyDolly
09-12-2011, 07:16 AM
I could probably do some time if this is still up for discussion and planning. Another idea is there anyway to enable the chatbox to always be at the top of the page and not just the home one? That might help it be used more so you can browse and chat? And maybe private chat, is that available or? Thanks :)

rob
09-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Another idea is there anyway to enable the chatbox to always be at the top of the page and not just the home one? That might help it be used more so you can browse and chat? And maybe private chat, is that available or? Thanks :)

Hmm,

That's a good question. let me look into it and see what I can find.

Rob

Tonyarenee
10-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I just found the chat & I have been on here all day LOL! I just found the site today but I love it! Now I do not feel so crazy being as I see people who are going threw the same things as me!

tgal
10-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Several of us used to be in there in the mornings and the evenings but we have slacked off. We need to get back in there so people can have a place to talk. I will try to be better about it but my brain hasn't been doing the "formatting thoughts" thing well lately. Let's see what we can work out

kim,l
11-05-2011, 04:30 PM
hi yes i would be willing to volunteer as i check into chatroom regularly everyday and have noticed that some of the new ones need to chat but there is no one around just let me know and put me down on the schedule.

The Baum
11-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I am new to the site and haven't even figured out how to work it yet. I would love someone to chat with. I feel like I am nuts sometimes. These brain things I get scare me and I wonder how they are going to affect me in the future.

mdawncooper
11-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I like this idea too. My schedule is crazy but I stopped doing the chat because nobody was ever on. I can try to do my part too.

Melanie

Deemarie1223
08-26-2012, 11:53 PM
I see that this has fallen wayside again, as a newer member I'd LOVE to chat real time! If anyone is still interested, im willing to man a post!

Maxine
02-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Well I just spent about half an hour typing on my phone only to realise that I need to log in again to this section to be able to actually post a reply. Cant do it again as the impetus is gone and need to sleep to go to work tomorrow. At least I know for next time

Moonbeam
04-17-2014, 03:19 PM
I was trying to figure out how to even use the chat. Where do you click to have your message placed in the chatbox once you have written it, if indeed, there are live users online? I feel stupid that I couldn't figure it out. I don't like to ask for help, but help.

Nonna
04-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Try enter on your keyboard, when I do chat box my return/enter key says go. Try it