PDA

View Full Version : Proud aunt!

wolfwhisper
10-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Yesterday at 12:44am, my sister gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Her name is Abigail (Abby) Corcoran. She is 8 lbs, 5oz, and 20" long.

This is my first niece, and my parent's first grandchild. Everyone in my immediate family is very proud, and I might get to meet Abby and the corcoran family for Christmas (fingers crossed). I was wondering if anyone has advice for my sister? I seem to be able only to repeat myself. XD

magistramarla
10-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey Auntie!
Congratulations! My advice would be for her to breastfeed the baby for at least a year - two if possible. If she can find a La Leche League group near her, she should go for the support and friendship of other moms.
Enjoy that little doll.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Congrats! Babies are wonderful I hope you get to spend time with her soon!

BonusMom
10-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Congratulations Auntie!

My advice to your sister would be to nurture and protect her child, yet give her the independence, common sense and confidence to make good choices as she matures.

It is special gift bestowed upon you as an Auntie. I have but one nephew, whom I love dearly. Because of his step-mother, I am unable to have the kind relationship with him that I would like to have. I encourage you to keep in close contact with your niece as she grows up. You will both be very happy that you did.

Nonna
10-18-2010, 03:37 AM
Congratulations Auntie! Enjoy your niece, they are so much fun as little ones.

Nonna

Hunniebun
10-19-2010, 04:34 PM
BABIES!!! They are so beautiful, so wonderful, congrats on being an auntie!

Hillbillie
10-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Congratulations! Being an aunt is a most wonderful blessing. I have the best relationship with all my nieces and nephews. They have a very special place in my heart. When they see me they all come running with their arms open for a hug and they are all grown! I LOVE IT.
My only advice is to love the child, take it to church, give it a good education and continue to build up her confidence so she'll turn into a well rounded adult and youand your sister will be blessed all the days of your lives

SandyR
10-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Congrats! Welcome to the aunt club. What a great feeling! Congrats to you, your family, your sister and her family. My younger sister also became a first time mom this year and it's been 13 years since I was made an aunt. My oldest nieces and nephew are now 19, 16 and 13 and we are very close. I'm not a parent so I can't offer your sister parenting advice but I would say from a teacher's point of view - start your niece's library now and read to her every day. Make it a familiar routine. Reading is a learned habit and children who are read to from a very young age learn to read faster and generally do better at school than those who are not.

magistramarla
10-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Sandy's advice was wonderful!
As a foreign language teacher, I would add this - if anyone in the family knows another language, read to her in that language, too. Children tend to pick up a foreign language easier later in life if they have heard the sounds of that language early in life.
Marla

Angel Oliver
10-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh what lovely news Congratulations:)

love
Amanda.xxxxxxx