PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from yet another fun weekend!

magistramarla
09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I know that it must sound like I never stop, and I don't!
Friday was Jeff's birthday, and Heather, our oldest, asked us to come join her in Pasadena. She's on the executive board of the Alumi Group at Cal Tech. They fly her there for quarterly meetings.
We stayed in her motel room with her, and Jeff got to attend a geek party for his B-day. He loved talking with those Cal Tech alumni and professors. Some of them are Nobel prize winning scientists.
While Heather was in her meeting on Saturday, we wandered around the campus (Jeff pushed me in my wheelchair), and we explored Pasadena. We checked out the great downtown mall and Old Pasadena. We found a wonderful Peruvian restaurant for lunch.
For dinner, we went to Heather's favorite sushi bar, where the chefs know her. We were treated to their very best, had plenty of sake, and they brought out green tea ice cream with a candle for Jeff.
On Sunday, we visited with Heather's friends, a retired professor and his lovely wife, and left her with them. We headed out in the horrible heat - over 100! We were certainly happy when we got back out to the coast and lower temps. We stopped for dinner at the halfway point - Pismo Beach. We found an incredible seafood restaurant with an even more incredible view of the ocean. I blissed out on seafood!
I love living in California!

jmail
09-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Good for you, magistramarla! Enjoy it (California, sunshine, seafood, Jeff & the kids), and life.

Linda From Australia
09-28-2010, 12:32 AM
WOW that sounds like a wonderful celebration. My husband and I went out this weekend looking at some fabulous gardens in the hills. I had some degree of difficulty walking and had to miss out on having tea with my friends because I was exhausted and in so much pain. I thought of you and all the wondeful places you visit with Jeff pushing you in your wheelchair. It must be such a relief you can still enjoy the outdoors and not miss out because of your limited mobility. You have encouraged me to speak to my Rheumy about getting some support so I can keep enjoying the outdoors as well. May be not a wheelchair yet, but perhaps some other mobility aid.

Keep letting us know what adventures you have, and PLEASE include how you overcome some difficulties. You are an inspiration!!

SandyR
09-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Marla,
That sounds like a great time! Glad to hear things are going well and Jeff had a great birthday.
Sandy

Hillbillie
09-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Marla,
Thanks for letting us see thru your eyes. I do so enjoy hearing about your trips and happenings. It does encourage me. I am fearful of getting out many times because of my joint pain. I'm afraid I won't be able to get back home. I can read about you and your not letting your pain get in the way of having a life. You do encourage me to give it a try. Glad you had a great time.
Billie

Saysusie
10-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Marla;
You seem to keep going to my favorite places. My brother lives in Pasadena, so I am there often and I love old Pasadena and the new downtown mall. My brother is an architect and each time that I visit him, he takes me on a walking tour to explain the architecture of the various buildings. There are several beautiful churches that he and I spend hours upon hours examining. His home is a registered restored historic home, just off of Lake Street...were you able to see any of the restored historic homes??
I am so glad that you've had yet another wonderful weekend..especially in another one of my favorite places in California.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Saysusie,
I know the area that you are talking about, but we didn't go to any private homes other than Heather's professor friend, who lives past Old Pasadena. We crossed a lovely bridge on California Blvd. and then turned into their lovely neighborhood. The Alumni House is a huge old house on Hill st. That is where Heather goes to her meetings, and the party was held on the deck and in the back yard. We always enjoy those trips to Pasadena.
Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
10-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Marla;
I think I know exactly the area you are speaking about. There are some beautiful homes there with architecture from the early 1900's. That is a beautiful area!! :-)

Hugs
Saysusie

Peridot_Gem
10-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Marla,
It sounded like you both had a smashing time but my god mate that heat would have melted me, no wonder you felt better in the cooler area but i am pleased it went how you mentioned.

kim,l
10-12-2010, 08:23 PM
hi marla wonderful to hear you had a great time away and happy belated birthday to jeff its so wonderful to hear about yourtrip uplifting knowing with everything you suffer you are still living life to the full you are a wonderful inspiration to us all my friend hugs kiml