PDA

View Full Version : Giving Everyone the Silent Treatment

magistramarla
09-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Hi Everyone,
Yesterday, we drove up to UCSF and I had my Botox shot for the Spasmodic Dysphonia.
My vocal cords spasm, and I have to get Botox injected inot them a few times a year to keep me talking.
For a week or so after the injection, I can't talk above a whisper, so I'm being a very quiet person right now.
I tease Jeff that he has every man's dream - a silent wife!

We had a good time in San Francisco. We found Japan Town just a few blocks from my doc, so we looked around and had some sushi for lunch before my shot. I liked Japan Town much better than China Town in SF - no steep hills and it was much more quiet and peaceful. It brought back memories of our trip to Tokyo.

After my appointment, we found a Galleria mall and Jeff pushed me all over it in my wheelchair. I love big malls, and I've been missing them since we now live in such a small town.
We also made a stop in Gilroy at the Barnes & Noble, which is another store that I miss terribly. (We had 4 of them near our house in Texas). I stocked up on reading material.

So, it was a nice trip, but now I'm being a quiet little person and waiting for my voice to return!
Silent Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
09-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Marla;
I just love the way that you and your husband make each of your appointments a day of adventure and a wonderful experience.
I am curious..what type of reading material did you get? Murder Mysteries? Romance? Self-Help/Enlightenment? I am a SciFi & Murder Mystery person myself.
Another question..isn't Gilroy the place that is famous for pea soup?? or is it garlic?? I can't remember!
Get some rest, both vocally and physically, and I am glad that you can still talk to us here (lol)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste

BonusMom
09-20-2010, 08:00 PM
So glad to "hear" that you and Jeff enjoyed your adventure in to the City and about your detour to Barnes and Noble. There's nothing like some good reading material to bring Fall in to the home.

Hillbillie
09-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Marla,
You are an inspiration to me. I love reading about your latest trip, outing or whatever you are doing. It don't seem like much slows you down. YOU GO GIRL!
Now as for being quiet as a mouse it might make those cats of your suspicious. I wouldn't try eating cheese!
Tell your husband to enjoy it while he can because while you are being quiet your mind is working overtime to remember to tell him later all the things you aren't saying!
Take care, hope you are back to being yourself in no time... Billie

SandyR
09-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Marla,

How's the vow of silence going? Are you ready to shave your head and travel to Tibet yet? :) I have to talk for my job all day long - phones ring all day long. Sometimes I think a vow of silence would be nice.

Sandy

magistramarla
09-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone,
It's been over a week now, and I STILL have a whispery voice. My doc back in San Antonio did the "down the throat" procedure, but this new one in SF injects the Botox through the neck. "Down the throat" was more of a hassle, but I think that it was more accurate - I could easily read a myth to my classes the next day. This way, I'm silent for at least two weeks, and I hate it! Dr. Simpson in San Antonio is cute and sort of cocky. It will please him no end when I go back and tell him that I prefer him to his friend in SF!

Saysusie,
Gilroy is the garlic capitol. Castroville is famous for artichokes. We passed through the pea soup town going south to L.A. I think it started with an A - Andersonville or something like that.
I'm a bit like you - SciFi and Historical mysteries. I've gotten way behind on my Star Trek novels, so I've been reading the ones that we brought with us. I've decided to re-read Robert A. Heinlein's books. Jeff first introduced me to them in college. I recently read "Time Enough For Love", so I picked up the next one, "To Sail Beyond the Sunset".
I love, love, love books set in ancient Rome. I've recently re-read all of "The First Man in Rome" series by Colleen McCullough. There are two authors who write great "detective" mysteries set in ancient Rome - Lindsay Davis and Steven Saylor. I bought Lindsay Davis' new one - "Alexandria". This weekend I found that she has an even newer one out, but I'll wait for it to get to paperback.

Whenever we move to a new area, we like to go on little adventures to get to know the state. We're having a lot of fun exploring California - it's such a breathtakingly beautiful state!
Hugs,
Marla