PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Tips??

Sarah2010
09-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Hi-ya!! Hows it going out there my fellow aches and pains??
My son and I are going to Boston to visit some family on Saturday, and will return the following Sat. I have current and active lupus and am nervous about traveling. I called my Dr. and got the "go ahead" even though my recent labs were not great.
I am just looking for some tips on how to make this trip as physically painless and fun as possible, without "over doing it". Thanks. XO
-Sarah

Nonna
09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi, rent or borrow a wheelchair. If you are going to walk a lot pick nice spots to rest and people watch. give yourself way way plenty of time at any airport Don't stay out too late.

Above all have fun

nonna

Sarah2010
09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks Nonna.
Great advice!! I think i'll even get one of those cute helper guys to push it!! lol
Lucky it is a direct flight, so we will heave help for the departure and arrival. Im still nervous but feeling a little better. I have already started packing..2 days in advance should be sufficient...as long as those pesky naps don't get in the way!
Thanks.
-Sarah

Hunniebun
09-16-2010, 05:36 PM
I had a big problem last year when I flew to Quebec from BC for the first time (5 hour flight), it was also my very first flight so that didn't help either. I ended up having a racing heart and I passed out and they landed in Calgary and called and ambulance and took me to the hospital where I spent 7 hours in the emergency room hooked up to a heart monitor, oxygen and a bunch of IV bags. I had not yet seen my new rheumatologist so I was not on any medication at all and I have active RA and possible active Lupus. I was on Plaquenil but I went off it because I couldn't handle its side affects and lost too much weight from not being able to eat. Besides the fact that I wasn't on anything, I was also very nervous from this being my first flight. My doctor said I should be ok to go and all I got done was a blood thinner injection incase of thrombosis before I left. I'm not trying to scare you, just because it happened to me doesn't mean it will happen to you. I have extreme anxiety issues as well as being very depressed, stressed as well as sick so all of it mixing didn't make the situation any better. Now I am much stronger and I just went to Montreal again this past July and I had a little motion sickness but otherwise the flight there and home were no problem.

I strongly suggest buying a bottle of water AFTER you pass security and take it with you on the plane and keep drinking. It gets very dry on the plane and I personally think its much easier to just have your own water instead of having to keep buzzing the flight attendant to bring you some. Also maybe take a pillow or a stuffy if you want to be comfortable if you have a window seat, and if not then maybe bring along a neck pillow so you can sleep and keep your body straight at the same time to avoid getting sore that way. If you are going to do a lot of walking having a wheel chair around is a good idea too as Nonna said, and/or perhaps a cane. I have a chronic bursitis problem in my left hip so I bought a cane and I use it pretty often now otherwise I can't walk very far before I feel pain and get tired. You can also let them know ahead of time at the airport that you might need some help so they can be ready for you to make things easier for everyone.
If your nerves seem to really drive you, you can also ask your dr. to percribe you Adavan, a tablet that melts under your tongue and instantly calms you down. It can be addictive so he probably won't give you more than 5-10 if you decide you want to try it or need it.

Just don't think about anything bad, focus on the positive and how wonderful its going to feel visiting and having fun with your son, things will be great!

jmail
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Our last vacation was on one of them shtinking air bus airplanes... pack you in like sardines, they do! Try for an aisle seat, and get up and walk around every chance you get, Sarah2010. I thought I was gonna *die* when I was by the window seat (used to be my fav spot, especially if just in front of the wing) and had to ask two people to move, and then disturb all 3 folks in the seats in the row ahead as I tried to stumble/fall my way out of my seat to the aisle that's not quite wide enough for a 10 year old to walk down...

Nonna
09-17-2010, 04:10 AM
oh yeah forgot about that jmail. longer flights you need to make atleast one trip to the back of the plane to move the legs. my flights are only 2 hours so I've been lazy these last 2. and definitely drink water. airplanes have very dry air.

rob
09-17-2010, 06:36 AM
New England weather can be fairly chilly this time of year, so remember to take some warm clothes and a good jacket. Make sure you go to Cheers for a drink, and if you have the time, you should check out the Boston Science Museum.

Sarah2010
09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
New England weather can be fairly chilly this time of year, so remember to take some warm clothes and a good jacket. Make sure you go to Cheers for a drink, and if you have the time, you should check out the Boston Science Museum.

Thanks Rob
I have never been to Boston before and was looking for a few tips on places to see. I didn't know Cheers is there, thats exciting! Also, I do believe we are going to take my son to the aquarium. Thanks for the quick positive tips..that helps.
-Sarah

Sarah2010
09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Hnniebun.
I am sorry to hear that u had such a terrible experience!!! That is pretty much my biggest fear, getting sick or passing out in the air especially while traveling with my 3 yr old!! I am an anxious traveler as well, so I do take a low dose xanax before boarding. I always pack snacks and water, and make sure not to let my blood sugar get low..so I think I will be ok. I hope u are feeling better these days!! Thanks for the advice.
-Sarah

Hunniebun
09-17-2010, 12:55 PM
No problem, glad I can help out. I am feeling a bit better these days but still crappy in general lol. I am stronger now and my heart is a lot stronger so I'm doing ok. I'd get your water and snacks after you pass security, as they will probably take them both away from you and throw it in the garbage, yet as soon as you're clear and you walk into the waiting area, there's plenty of food places where you can buy stuff again and stuff it in your bags so it's a little messed up with that rule but I guess they have their reasons.
I think you'll be ok too!

Sarah2010
09-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Hunniebun,
How old are you? What medical conditions do you have? U said that your heart is stronger now..what was wrong with it? I have periocarditis..and now i'm freaking out about traveling!! I was super healthy until about 6 months ago when I first started have lupus symptoms and then was dX. But before then, i was running, and working out almost every day. I know that my heart is healthy, other then the periocarditis. Im just freaking out now..lol

Hunniebun
09-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Aw hey relax, you don't need to be freaked out, I'll send you a PM.