PDA

View Full Version : Severe Dizziness

red246
09-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm used to being somewhat dizzy, but I feel like I just got off of one those amusement rides and my head won't stop. Any suggestions? I'm really starting to feel ill. Thx.

Nonna
09-16-2010, 10:21 AM
See the doctor you could have a serious inner ear infection or sinus infection.

pandagirl
09-16-2010, 02:41 PM
There is medication for vertigo..ask your doc

jmail
09-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Constant dizziness, of varying intensity, with bouts of vertigo that may be influenced by your head position or movement?... Full-feeling ears, sinus drip, etc? You might have some of those inner ear crystals loose and in the wrong area of your ear. An ENT specializing in inner ear balance stuff really comes in handy with that. They can do some "maneuvers" with you and get the stones back where they belong (btw, they weren't kidding when they said I had rocks loose in my head). It might also be a bout of Meniere's, also known as "the dropping sickness", 'cause when it hits, down you go, and you can't tell which way is up... Again, that same ENT is the one to see. Then there's always the allergies & colds & infections, as mentioned by Nonna. Either way, see the doc. It's kinda difficult getting thru life when all you do is run into things 'cause you can't get your balance... seriously, been there, done that... lol - not only that, but did you know that your brain can be trained to accept what you think as of "dizzy" as a new "normal"?...

red246
09-16-2010, 08:16 PM
It's called "Vestibular Training". Before they figured out what was wrong w/my daughter, they had her going to therapy for that. Idiots! Sorry, I kept telling them it wasn't that, but what do I know! lol obviously more than them, since I was right! Okay, anyway, no my sinus are not acting up. Seen ENT, everything is okay there - just another lovely aspect of this confounded disease. Usually the dizzies are not that bad, last night was unfortunately. :(

Islablue
09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey girl. U aren't on any biologic meds are you? Remicade or Enbrel?

red246
09-21-2010, 04:26 PM
hey! nope not on anything!

SandyR
09-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Are you dizzy all the time or at certain times of the day? Is there a pattern to what you are doing and when you are dizzy? Did the ENT check you for Vertigo? It feels like what you described to me and the meds work very quickly to get you off the merry-go-round in your brain. Your regular doctor can check you for that too. You said he checked your sinuses, did he do a sonogram and check your upper sinuses? When my upper sinuses get infected I get dizzy but when the lower ones (the ones by your nose) get infected I just feel stuffy and runny nosed.

adsimcik
09-28-2010, 08:07 AM
I've had chronic vertigo (or labyrinthitis - google it) since summer '05, and only got the diagnosis of lupus in the spring of '09. In all the time before that, all the doctors suspected it was just in my head (and some of them still do!), but it (in my opinion) is the result of inflammation of the inner ear. I've never had any luck with doctors - vertigo is such a non-specific problem that it is hard to nail down a cause, and there usually isn't much they can do about it, anyway. Meclizine is the standard over-the-counter solution for vertigo, and I really should buy stock in the company that makes it, since I take so much. Lately, however, I've also discovered that benadryl and even a good decongestant can be helpful, as well. An anti-anxiety med like Xanax can be helpful, too, since panic attacks and labyrinthitis are inter-related. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water - minor dehydration can contribute to dizziness, too.

Islablue
09-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Lauren, I have vertigo today .... definitely not fun.

serand4
10-02-2010, 01:01 PM
This happens to me at least twice a day out of the blue. I borrowed one of my mom's canes so that I can keep it nearby for the episodes at home. I've literally stood up and gone right back down. The worst time was at the mall. I was worried I'd end up in the security office with them thinking I was a drunk! I'd say it was related to my meds but the meds are the same and this all started after I was diagnosed with Lupus. I also have breathing problems so I'm sure they contribute. There's just a bunch of stuff with this disease is a real pain in the behind!

magistramarla
10-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I was dx'd with Meniere's long before the AI issues showed up. Now the rheumy is calling it Autoimmune Inner Ear Disorder. Look it up, Serand - you will probably recognize it as much as I did.
P.S. I'm a St. Louis girl! I was born and raised across the river in Hartford, Ill. and graduated from St. Louis University a long, long time ago. I used to teach in Hazelwood, at St. Louis Prep Seminary North.
Hugs,
Marla

jmail
10-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Wow!, marla, we used to be neighbors! I more-or-less grew up in St. Louis county, and spent my early childhood in , O'Fallon, Illinois. I also went to St. Louie U for a couple of classes in like 1979-80 (most of my classes were at Flo Valley), and one of my brothers went to St. Louie U High... Shame we can't cheer for the Cardinals in the playoffs this year...

magistramarla
10-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Jmail,
That's very cool! I graduated from SLU in '78. My hubby got an extra degree, so he graduated in '79. I did some student teaching at SLU High and some at St. Bishop DuBourg High. Wonderful memories!
I've always loved it when the Cards went to the playoffs.
Hugs,
Marla

Angel Oliver
10-15-2010, 05:19 AM
I also suffer with dizziness some days worse than others.Have you found out yet what it is? Have the doctors arranged other tests for you....have you told the doctor how bad it is now? I hope so.I'll check in later.

love
Amanda.xxxx

red246
10-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Hey Amanda! Sorry it took me a couple of days, been crazy busy here! The dizziness has subsided, it's still there occasionally but very short lived. It's really wierd, but since I had my gallbladder out - I feel fantastic! Aside from the surgery recovery of course! lol My brain even feels clearer than it has in a long time! It's so wild. I hope you get some relief soon.

(((hugs)))

asherah
11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
I get dizzy quite often as well. If it bothers me and makes me feel sick than I take some gravol. Sometimes gravol and xanax but usually just the gravol. It helps alot.
I just assumed it was from the lupus but who knows. I also dizzy pretty much everytime I stand up to. I've had that since I was a teenager. I had blood tests and i'm not anemic so I guess its just the lupus.

asherah

tgal
11-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi asherah and welcome to WHL! I get light headed as well and, like you, just toss it up to another weird autoimmune thing!

debbie-b
11-30-2010, 09:39 PM
I know what you are going through. A few months ago, I woke up from a good nights sleep, because I was so dizzy, that I almost fell out of the bed. ( I am not kidding).
I tried to get up, but couldn't walk, I was falling from one wall to the next. I woke up my husband, who had to walk me to the living room. I sat in my chair and if I didn't move, it was ok but when I moved my head to the side, I fell off the chair, literally. After that he had to walk me to the bathroom, I fell off the toilett.
We waited until the doctors office opened and went to see the doc. He checked everything and said there is nothing wrong with my ears or sinuses. He dicided that it was an inflammation on the nerve to and from the ear, inside the head and brain.
It cleared up within a few days, but I still get once in a while, at least now I know to sit still, so I won't fall over.

Debbie