PDA

View Full Version : Towers of light

pandagirl
09-12-2010, 12:58 PM
So last night while driving home, high up in the sky...I could see the two beams of light that were shinning from where the Twin Towers once stood...a beautiful pale blue. Really beautiful. Another September 11th has past....never forget those who gave their lives, and all the wonderful men and women who protect our freedom everyday.

Angel Oliver
09-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Ahh i know,so very sad.I saw the blue lights on telly looks so lovely but my thoughts go out to all who died that awful day.Everyone remembers where they were that day! Hope you doing ok Andrea.
love
Amanda.xxxx

Nonna
09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
The shock and sadness of that day must always be remembered. Andrea I hope you are doing well.

Nonna

SandyR
09-13-2010, 06:46 AM
I still can't get over the shock of not seeing the towers in the skyline when I go past my old neighborhood. You could see them clearly everyday from the football field of the high school and some other areas of town. Surreal that my mind (or my eyes at least) hasn't accepted the reality of them not being there yet. I was in that neighborhood last night but it was raining and we couldn't see the lights.

Saysusie
09-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Although I lost no one, nor did I know anyone who had lost someone, the entire day was still on filled with a kind of sadness for me. Saturday was a very quiet, contemplative day and my thoughts were filled with the families of those who were lost.
I wish that I had seen the two towers of light. But, I bet that I could find a picture of it on the web somewhere.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

SandyR
09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Although I lost no one, nor did I know anyone who had lost someone, the entire day was still on filled with a kind of sadness for me. Saturday was a very quiet, contemplative day and my thoughts were filled with the families of those who were lost.
I wish that I had seen the two towers of light. But, I bet that I could find a picture of it on the web somewhere.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotthudson/4969337097/

As seen from the Jersey side.

SandyR
09-13-2010, 09:04 AM
http://ayearofpositivethinking.com/2010/09/10/towers-of-light/

As seen from Manhatten

SandyR
09-13-2010, 09:05 AM
http://www.ikiw.org/2010/09/12/photo-essay-tribute-in-light-2010/

another from a different part of Manhatten

Nonna
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
My hometown lost 25 people. I don't know if I knew any of them; I was afraid to ask. I just keep praying for all who were lost.

nonna

Bonita
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
My son is the fire chief of our local company for the last ten years and my son-in-law is a fireman in the same company and my grandson just got put on as a driver of our new engine and the tower. The tower we bought a few years ago from New York and when this happened it affected all fireman and policeman because it is a brotherhood. When they got to New York for anything they always stop in at the fire stations. God Bless all who gave their lives that day and all who continue to serve, many as volenters. My deepest sympathies for all the famlies who lost loved ones. It was a dark day in our country but it just made us a stronger nation. God Bless America Bonita

DrinkofWtr
09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
My former sister-in-law was one of the grief counselors at 9/11. I was thinking about what she told me about the aftermath of that terrible tragedy.

pandagirl
09-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Bonita...my husband is a volunteer fieman as well....he sat at the George Washington Bridge on stand-by on and off for two days...ughhh...while F-16's flew over my house from Teterboro airport....very scary time.
Drinkofwtr...It takes a special person to do that type of work..bless her..I don't think there could have been enough conselors around this tri state area to help everyone who really needed it...so many probably didn't seek help and STILL suffer today....sad

SandyR
09-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Andrea - is he NYFD or is Jersey FD? One of my uncle's is NYFD another was NYPD. You're right - a very scary time.

rob
09-13-2010, 02:47 PM
On 9/11,

I had to go to to a nuclear power plant that day to deliver some equipment I had refurbished for the plant's security team. When I got to the outer gate I could see that there were Humvees with surface to air missles mounted on them all around the facility. That's something you never see. While I was there we heard the sound of a jet coming in really fast, and really low. For a second it flashed through my mind that this could be another attack. We soon recognized it as a pair of USAF F-16's. Looking up into the sky, and wondering if an incoming aircraft was one of ours, or one of the enemies, was a surreal experience.

I think often about all those firemen, police officers, and other first responders who were running without hesitation strait into the hell that was ground zero, most of whom, would never return. Brave souls one and all. If it wasn't for them, the death toll would have been even more horrendous. They saved countless lives that day. All gave some, and some gave all.

I also often think about the people on United Flight 93. Their heroic actions to take back that plane, saved hundreds, and possibly thousands of people on the ground in Washington. It occured to me that there is one fundamental, and very important difference between the terrorists, and us. The terrorists are willing to give their own lives to kill people. Our people, like the passengers on flight 93, were willing to give their own lives to save people.

Never forget.

Rob

tgal
09-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Let's roll... words that will forever stay in my memory. The shock, sadness and terror of that day should never be lost in our collective memory. I believe they should show the photos of the planes hitting to ever man, woman and child each and ever year. We cannot allow the future generation to forget the sacrifices made by so many that day. Rob said it perfectly " our people were willing to give their own lives to save people". That is a wonderful legacy.

pandagirl
09-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Many of the people were from Bergen County who perished that day (where I live)...Jeremy Glick, Todd Beamer among many others...a terrible pattern emerged shortly after 9/11 in my office. We had a surge of new patients with deceased fathers and then...a lul... which evolved into a rash of new patients with widowed moms.(pregnant during 9/11) All were families of men who died on 9/11. It was just a constant reminder.Because I live on the outskirts on NYC...we had so many people who worked in the city but live in "the burbs". I work right near the G.W.Bridge and I look at it sometimes and just wonder..hmmm..it is so beautiful on a clear day, could it be next?

Bonita
09-14-2010, 05:57 AM
We mourn all those who lost their lives and uphold all the brave people who helped but we will stand strong so our enemy will not succede and give those who died honor. Bonita

rob
09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Many of the people were from Bergen County who perished that day (where I live)...Jeremy Glick, Todd Beamer among many others...a terrible pattern emerged shortly after 9/11 in my office. We had a surge of new patients with deceased fathers and then...a lul... which evolved into a rash of new patients with widowed moms.(pregnant during 9/11) All were families of men who died on 9/11. It was just a constant reminder.Because I live on the outskirts on NYC...we had so many people who worked in the city but live in "the burbs". I work right near the G.W.Bridge and I look at it sometimes and just wonder..hmmm..it is so beautiful on a clear day, could it be next?

I've done some reading about the details of Flight 93. Jeremy Glick was a national Judo champion. Mark Bingham was a 6'4" 225 lb Rugby player. There were many other passengers who also had critical skills and abilities that worked against the hijackers. One of the flight attendants was a former police officer and another one of the passengers was a professional pilot with thousands of hours of experience flying jets, and he could take back the controls and safely land the plane since both pilots were dead. It occured to me that those terrorists really picked the wrong plane to hijack.

They organized and formulated a plan in less than an hour that any law enforcement or military special operations team would be proud of. They used coffee pots full of scalding water as improvised weapons, and they used the food/drink cart as a battering ram to break down the locked cockpit door. The FBI has concluded that the passengers killed the terrorist who was guarding the outside of the cockpit door, and that they did in fact break down the door and enter the cockpit.

I've listened to the last seconds of the cockpit voice recorder, and you can hear the terrorists, not the the passengers, screaming in terror. Those cowardly bastards left this world cowering in fear, knowing that they had been defeated.

I cannot imagine the kind of courage it took for a group of total strangers to come together in less than an hour and become such an organized and determined group fighting together to take back the plane they were on. In interrogation, the 9/11 mastermind Khalid Shekh Mohammed confirmed that the Capitol Building was indeed the target of Flight 93. They were only 20 minutes away from the target when the passenger revolt happened, and the plane went down. At that point, the Capitol had not yet been fully evacuated, so the loss of life there would have been horrendous, and the seat of our government would have been destroyed if it wasn't for the actions of those brave passengers that day.