PDA

View Full Version : Another Fun Weekend on the Monterey Bay

magistramarla
09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
We just got home from two fun activities.
First, we went to The Italian Festival at the wharf. We enjoyed the music and the Italian food.
Then, with Jeff pushing me in my wheelchair, we walked the length of Cannery Row and enjoyed the Classic Car Show. We saw cars as old as Model Ts and a few 1930's models. I especially enjoyed some beautifully restored 1950's era Belaires and the '62 Impalas, like the one I learned to drive as a teen. There were many Mustangs, Corvettes and Camaros. I even saw a 1964 1/2 Mustang. I think that was the only year that a new model came out mid-year.
I'm a classic car fan, so I truly enjoyed our walk. The street had been closed off to regular traffic, so the only cars that were parked or "cruising" on Cannery Row were the classics. It looked like we had stepped back in time.
I so enjoyed it! Rob, you would have loved it, too.
California is so cool!
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
09-11-2010, 09:30 PM
How can you not love Cali, Birthday Girl? I love the muscle cars that have been restored--especially the convertibles when you're hugging the curves of Highway 1.

An old boyfriend had a lovely Ferrari that we took down Highway 1.....now that was a ride to remember...it took forever to get all the tangles out of my hair!

red246
09-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Marla - Sounds like you had a great time! Wish I could have seen that 64 1/2 Mustang - my dad used to have one! I was hoping we were going to go to the Italian Festival tomorrow, but I think it's going to be all I can do to get up and go to church. :( Haven't been to a festival since I was kid.

Nonna
09-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Glad you enjoyed yourself. that's one of the nicest places in this country that I've lived in. Glad you got to see a 64 & a half Mustang. I wonder if they are like the 65's. I want to get a 2015 Mustang. then we'll have a 65 and 2015. 50 years apart.

glad you had a great time,
nonna

Saysusie
09-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Marla;
Sounds so wonderful! The San Francisco area and the San Diego area are my favorite places in California. Also, I love Cannery Row, especially after reading Steinbeck's book in the 11th grade. There were places that I've always wanted to see, either after reading the books or seeing the movies, and Cannery Row was one of them. One of the other places was Bodega Bay (from the "Birds"). The last time that we visited Bodega Bay, it still looked just like it did in the movie. The school was actually an old church and they allowed us to go inside and take a little tour!
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip and that you got a kick out of the old, restored cars! It does sound like so much fun :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

DrinkofWtr
09-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I used to have a 1954 Seafoam Green Two Tone Hudson Jet. I used to enjoy riding in it and listening to the oldies on the tube radio. People used to gawk at it. We took it to a couple of classic car shows. It got sold when my husband died years ago.

magistramarla
09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
We used to have a 1963 seafoam green Impala. We bought it for the kids to learn to drive. That way, they had a tank around them! They learned on it, and then graduated to the teal 1994 Camaro that we bought later.
Our son Tom killed the Impala when he blew the head gasket one night when he and a friend drove across the city to pick up two girls. Dad was out of town, and my son-in-law said that he thought that he was going to have to protect Tom from the wrath of Mom when we went to rescue them.
I love cars, and Tom does too. However, my hubby couldn't care less about them.
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
09-15-2010, 04:25 PM
I learned to drive in an old Nash Rambler American, anyone remember those. My Dad was a car dealer back then.

Hunniebun
09-15-2010, 05:28 PM
lol I learned to drive in a 1995 Suzuki Swift, one of the smallest things you can get besides the smart car, automatic with NO power steering, hand over hand big time and PP parking was NOT easy! It was my very first car that I bought on my own after working for a little over a year. It lasted for a long time though, it was excellent little beater, it never had any problems what so ever, which is why I have a 2008 model of the Swift today.

magistramarla
09-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Before we moved to California, we bought a California car. We're driving a Prius. We sold Jeff's Buick and I tearfully gave my son my beautiful, luxurious Oldsmobile Aurora.
We are living with one car, and Jeff rides his bike to school. We get over 40 MPG in town and over 50 MPG on the highway, so the car works as advertised.
This old car lover misses her luxury car, though!
Hugs,
Marla

rob
09-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Before we moved to California, we bought a California car. We're driving a Prius. We sold Jeff's Buick and I tearfully gave my son my beautiful, luxurious Oldsmobile Aurora.
We are living with one car, and Jeff rides his bike to school. We get over 40 MPG in town and over 50 MPG on the highway, so the car works as advertised.
This old car lover misses her luxury car, though!
Hugs,
Marla

We had our local car show here that same weekend, what a coincidence. Dad and I didn't enter our cars though, as neither of us was up to staying there all day. We got to see some really nice cars. I'd like to buy a Prius or similar vehicle one day. 40-50 mpg would be awesome. My daily driver is a Toyota 4wd truck, and it gets about 25 mpg in town, not too bad. Dad's Rolls gets a whopping 8 mpg, and my Nova gets about 12 mpg. The Olds Aurora is a beautiful car, a modern classic in my opinion.

Rob

magistramarla
09-27-2010, 08:15 PM
The Olds Aurora is a beautiful car, a modern classic in my opinion.

Rob

My poor old Aurora is now dead. He blew the engine on her. I guess I can't blame him totally, since she had over 125,000 miles on her when I handed her over to him a year ago. That was the most beautiful car I've ever driven - she fit me like a glove. May she rest in peace!

Marla