PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping so much.. so tired, is this normal?

Islablue
09-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I slept 14 hrs last night. I woke up and I am so lethargic and can barely sit here and type. I'm so tired even showering seems like climbing a mountain. I feel like I'm going into a big flare. Anyone ever experience something like this? Should I call my doc? I am supposed to go to my best friend's baby shower tomorrow and I'm worried I'm not going to be able to make it. I mean I'm so tired I could get back in bed right now.

rob
09-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi Islablue,

I get that way when I don't have insomnia. Sleep for 12 hours plus, and get up only to feel like I've got a lead blanket over me. Simple tasks are really difficult. Many times I just turn around and go back to bed. It's pretty normal for me even if my perpetual flare has subsided. I think most people here would say it's a pretty common thing with SLE. As far as going to see your Dr., my policy is to never discourage anyone from seeing their Dr./Rheumo. You know yourself, trust your instincts. If you think you should see the Dr., then go with it. Better safe than sorry. Use your best judgement with the baby shower too. If you can't make it, you can't make it. Or, you may wake up tomorrow and feel pretty good and able to go. Lupus is funny that way. I've layed down to sleep with a miserable flare, only to wake up and feel good in the morning. The one predictable thing about Lupus is it's unpredictability.

Rob

tgal
09-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh do I know how that feels! Yes, it is very normal. So normal in fact that the "spoon theory" arose just because of that situation. I actually used this story to make my family understand how I felt on the days I could barely make it out of bed. Hopefully this will help you as well.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

magistramarla
09-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes, many of us know how it feels!
I used to be a high energy person from early morning 'til late at night. I raised five kids and then took a teaching job and taught teenagers. I could teach all day, cook a good family meal, grade papers all evening, clean house and shop 'til I dropped on the weekends.
As I got sicker and weaker, I started to find those activities harder and harder to keep up. Now, I'm retired from teaching. I have many mornings that I just turn over and sleep late. It takes planning to keep up with the laundry for just two of us and to cook a nice meal by the time hubby gets home. I stay involved with my Spouses Club activities, but after a busy day with them, I have to plan for the next day being a "rest day". The Food Network is my friend on those days.
My life has changed, but I've learned to enjoy the slow days, too.
Hugs,
Marla

Serenity81
09-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Oh my gosh, you are so NOT alone!! The fatigue is the one thing that consistently hangs on for me, even when I'm not in what I consider a flare. I could sleep 10-12 hours per night, wake up still tired and unrested, and then nap during the day / afternoon depending on what I had going on that day... then do it all over again. I agree with Rob about the doc, if you feel the need to go, then do it, for sure. You know your own body. Also, tgal's suggestion to read "The Spoon Theory" is great. I, too, have used that with numerous friends and family members to let them gain some perspective on what it is I deal with each day. it's enlightening for sure.. I cried the first time I read it, it was like she put into words everything that I didn't know how to articulate all these years. It's a very useful tool on both sides.

Good luck to you and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Nonna
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh yes, me too. I'm in one of those phases now. I'm too tired to even think tonight. But will I be able to sleep?????
Hugs to all,
twitchy nonna

SandyR
09-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Saturday I woke up at a decent hour, realized I was still tired, rolled over woke up mid morning, still tired, rolled over. I didn't actually get out of bed and shower until evening and was back in bed by 11 that night.

gina
09-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I feel like that most of the time. i am at working praying to get home and take a nap by the time i get home to do that than my body decides its not tired anymore. or some days i am tired all day can sleep all day until the nite and sleep all nite. there is no ryhme or reasons with this.

Shani
09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
My sleeping schedule messes up all the time.
Since I have been taking Steroids, I can't seem to sleep at night.
Or be asleep for an amount of time, without waking up 40 times.
I guess we'll have to pray for better days to come, and having more energy.