PDA

View Full Version : It was a Valiant Fight.....

BonusMom
09-10-2010, 10:54 AM
But at long last, my Dad lost his battle against lung cancer last night. I am so thankful that his suffering has ended. It was a terrible thing to have witnessed. I am so thankful to have been able to say goodbye in August. Not all are as fortunate and for that, I am grateful.

If it's been a while since you told someone how much you love them, do it today because you never know when God is going to call them home.

Rest in Peace, Daddy.

Love,
Punkin.

pandagirl
09-10-2010, 01:22 PM
My condolences...I lost my mom last June to lung cancer(metastasized to her brain)...luckily she did not suffer long. Always think of the good memories..it helps get you thru the day. Take care of yourself during this difficult time.
Thoughts and prayers.

magistramarla
09-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi Lana,
All my sympathy is with you today, my friend.
Stay strong, take good care of your family, and take good care of yourself, too.
We'll all be here for you when you need to "talk" or vent.
Love and Hugs,
Marla

debbie-b
09-10-2010, 02:38 PM
I too, want to extend my condolences to you and your family.
You are very lucky, to have said goodbye. Like you said some people are not that fortunate, I was not, my Mom died suddenly.
Like Marla said, we are here, if you need us.

Debbie

Bonita
09-10-2010, 05:50 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss please accept my deepest sympathies. Bonita

rob
09-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Lana,

I know it's been a very tough time for you and your family with your Dad being so sick. I was so happy for you when you went and visited your Dad, happy that you got to spend time with him, and a chance to say the things that needed to be said, and to say goodbye. I am saddened by your loss, but like you, I am also glad that he is no longer in pain. May he rest in peace.

Rob

Hillbillie
09-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how long the battle we still hate to let go. Don't even think of the last few days just try and concentrate on the good days when your Dad was really your dad. That is exactly what he'd want you to do. My dad passed a couple of years ago and he had a hard time but I hardly ever think of that. I remember his laughter, joking and just being Dad. I will keep you and your family in prayer. God bless and comfort you in this time of loss. Billie

tgal
09-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I too am sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing with my mother about 6 years ago. I completely understand the comment about "at least the pain has stopped". I felt that way as well. It does get easier as time goes on. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do. Much of my body is messed up but I am still a good shoulder to cry on!

Linda From Australia
09-10-2010, 10:21 PM
My thoughts are with you. My Dad was super fit yet he died of a fatal heart attack when he was competing in a triathlon. I was thankful he never suffered. I really don't know how you feel as you have had to endure a long time of uncertaintly. Enjoy the memories of your Dad!

kim,l
09-11-2010, 04:47 AM
i wish you my heart felt condolences i lost my husbands father to lung cancer 10 years ago and i know how he suffered i also lost my own father from heart attack i wish you and your family the very best and you will be in my thoughts hugs kim l

Saysusie
09-11-2010, 07:31 AM
I know that this has been a very difficult time for you and now it is a time filled with mixed emotions. Please know that you are in my thoughts and my prayers and I hope that you find comfort in the love and understanding of those who care about you.

Always
Saysusie

DrinkofWtr
09-11-2010, 09:36 AM
So sorry to hear about your father's passing.

Hunniebun
09-11-2010, 10:28 AM
*hug* So sorry to hear this, but you can be happy knowing that he is now at peace.

BonusMom
09-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. They have brought me so much comfort.

I mentioned it on the Sjogren's forum but forgot to share a snippet when I initially posted the news here, so here it goes......

All my life, my parents made it known that they wished to be cremated and their ashes spread in the Pacific Ocean. That way, whenever someone thought of them, all they had to do was place a flower in a river and the flower would reach them because all rivers lead to the ocean. Plus, my Dad loved to fish, especially for sturgeon.

When my Mom called to tell me that my Dad had passed, I had just left the rheumy's office in San Francisco and was crossing the Bay Bridge..........right over the Pacific Ocean.

I thought it was very fitting that although my Dad's ashes weren't there yet, I was close to one of his most favorite places on earth and in a bizarre way, I found it comforting.

magistramarla
09-11-2010, 09:30 PM
BonusMom,
I read this on the Sjogren's forum, too and thought that it was sweet. I've learned to love the sight of the Pacific seeing it very day since we've moved here. I can understand his wishes, and I think that it will be wonderful for you to remember him fondly every time you cross that bridge.
I've adopted many of my beloved mother-in-law's funny family stories. I tell them often, and remember her fondly every time.
I hope that you and your family are coping well.
Hugs and love,
Marla

red246
09-11-2010, 09:53 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I lost my dad also to cancer, 7 yrs ago. Remember the good times, even through the tears, it does help. ((Hugs))

rob
09-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. They have brought me so much comfort.

I mentioned it on the Sjogren's forum but forgot to share a snippet when I initially posted the news here, so here it goes......

All my life, my parents made it known that they wished to be cremated and their ashes spread in the Pacific Ocean. That way, whenever someone thought of them, all they had to do was place a flower in a river and the flower would reach them because all rivers lead to the ocean. Plus, my Dad loved to fish, especially for sturgeon.

When my Mom called to tell me that my Dad had passed, I had just left the rheumy's office in San Francisco and was crossing the Bay Bridge..........right over the Pacific Ocean.

I thought it was very fitting that although my Dad's ashes weren't there yet, I was close to one of his most favorite places on earth and in a bizarre way, I found it comforting.

Your story, and your Dad's love of fishing made me think of one of my favorite songs. It's a lesser known song by Bob Seger called "By the River". There's a really nice video for the song on Youtube, and I thought you might like it, or could find a bit of comfort from it, if only for a few minutes.

Click the link- www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Qm9Wcg2wQ&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Qm9Wcg2wQ&feature=related)

Rob

Angel Oliver
09-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Oh my deepest sympathy goes out to you my friend.So glad you got to see him in August to say goodbye.Thinking of you at this sad time.
Lots of love n gentle hugs
Amandax.xxxx

SandyR
09-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Lana,

I sent you a PM. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandy

Saysusie
09-13-2010, 07:32 AM
BonusMom;
How beautiful and what a testament to my belief that everything happens for a reason. It was not a coincidence that you were crossing that bridge when your Mother called, you needed that moment of comfort at that particular time.
How wonderful to know that, no matter where you are, you can find that comfort knowing that all rivers lead to the ocean. I am sending you warm and loving {{{hugs}}}.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie