PDA

View Full Version : Something new today...

tgal
09-04-2010, 04:33 PM
OK I have a question. I don't know if this is Lupus related or MS related or simply another weird thing that my body is doing but today has been strange! The toes on my right foot seem to be moving about on their own. They are not too bad when I am just sitting but when I start walking they go crazy and then my left foot kind of drags a bit. It is like it is really heavy and I have to really work to lift it at all. It is worse when I am barefooted (my favorite way to be), a little better in flip flops and almost normal when sitting still with my feet up.

What in the heck is going on????

rob
09-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Well, this sort of twitching happens to me alot, and my right foot dragging was one of the key symptoms that contributed to my MS diagnosis. I still get odd twitching in my toes and fingers, but the foot dragging went away after my first IV Methylpred treatment, and thankfully, has not returned. Definitely tell the new Dr. you are going to see about this new symptom. My Neuro has a good sense of humor. When I first told him about my toes moving on their own, he suggested that I might be posessed. But since my head wasn't spinning around 360 degrees, and I wasn't projectile vomiting pea soup at him, it was probably just a neurological problem.

tgal
09-04-2010, 05:30 PM
OK, another question then. One of the complaints I have had for months and months is that sometimes I get this "zapping" feeling on my skin. The only way I know how to explain it is that if I were a robot I would say that I was short circuiting. It feels like that small spot is being electrocuted. That is happening much more today than normal and it is severe enough when it happens that I find myself yelling "ouch".

Does that go along with the other or just simply another weird tgal issue?

One more thing... I LOVE what the doctor said! I hope my new one has that same sense of humor!

red246
09-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I get that zapping, haven't had it in a while, but I do know exactly what you're talking about. My toes like to twitch too; mostly my right thumb gets going sometimes.

I had a question for both of you in reference to the "foot drag", but know I can't remember it! It was just there, while I was reading the posts, and now it's gone! GGGGRRRRR!!!!

rob
09-05-2010, 12:32 PM
OK, another question then. One of the complaints I have had for months and months is that sometimes I get this "zapping" feeling on my skin. The only way I know how to explain it is that if I were a robot I would say that I was short circuiting. It feels like that small spot is being electrocuted. That is happening much more today than normal and it is severe enough when it happens that I find myself yelling "ouch".

Does that go along with the other or just simply another weird tgal issue?

One more thing... I LOVE what the doctor said! I hope my new one has that same sense of humor!

Yep, I have that too. Just out of the blue it's like I grabbed hold of a spark plug. Sometimes it's like a shock, sometimes like a sharp needle, and it's intense enough to make me wince. The technical term for what happens to me is Peripheral Neuropathy. It can happen with MS, and it can also happen with Lupus that affects the CNS. It's random pain from out of nowhere, wonderful frakking problem. There are times when I wish SLE and MS were actual living beings, so I could take them both outside and beat the s**t out of them for what they do to me some days. Today is one of those days.

Rob

tgal
09-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Sorry that you are having a bad day! If you figure out a way to beat the s**t out of them me know. No one/thing deserves it more!

Hope you feel better soon!

tgal
09-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I get that zapping, haven't had it in a while, but I do know exactly what you're talking about. My toes like to twitch too; mostly my right thumb gets going sometimes.

I had a question for both of you in reference to the "foot drag", but know I can't remember it! It was just there, while I was reading the posts, and now it's gone! GGGGRRRRR!!!!

LOL You sound like me, red!!! I will be here when you remember

Nonna
09-06-2010, 05:12 AM
Better late than never -
I get all of the above with my parkinson's. But my neuro never said anything about MS. Rob, tgal, are you both right handed? I get my symptpms mainly on my left side and I'm left handed (ie right brained) My mirapex helps a lot with my twitching. I know when I don't take it. It seems to me that there are a lot of similarities with the 2. but obviously there are also differences.

nonna

rob
09-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Better late than never -
I get all of the above with my parkinson's. But my neuro never said anything about MS. Rob, tgal, are you both right handed? I get my symptpms mainly on my left side and I'm left handed (ie right brained) My mirapex helps a lot with my twitching. I know when I don't take it. It seems to me that there are a lot of similarities with the 2. but obviously there are also differences.

nonna

Most of my peripheral neurological problems, including the foot drag, have been bilateral, occuring on my right side. But much of the twitching does happen unilaterally/on both sides. I am ambidextrous. Although I can write easily with either hand, I do tend to prefer to write with my right hand. I am also what is known as a visual-spatial learner, which makes me a "right brain" thinker.

I didn't know that you have Parkinson's. I'm sorry to hear that. When were you diagnosed?

Rob

tgal
09-06-2010, 06:31 AM
So sorry to hear about the Parkinsons.

To answer your question yes, I am right handed and although I typed "left foot" in error earlier, the worst of my symptoms (foot drag) is on my right side. Having said that, my neuropsych showed deficiencies on both sides of my body. The zapping feeling happens on both my left and my right although the foot issue seems to be only on my right at this time.

Nonna
09-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Well, i guess that kind of proves my theory, but not need some more input for a conclusion. I was diagnosed a out 3 years ago. Doing very well for the moment. My neuro is pleased. Although he tells me my weight contributes to the balance problems.

I've had the neuropathy for a long time. I hate it cause I think I'm being stung or bitten.

Hugs to all
nonna

tgal
09-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Nonna,

Weight. HA. That is one that I always laugh about. I began putting on weight as I got started getting really sick. 40 lbs in 6 months. Then another 15 when steroids were started. They say lose weight but half the meds that I am on put weight on me! Drives me insane. Not only do I feel bad I don't even look like me anymore. It is so depressing.

I hate the stinging thing. I always look for what stung/electrocuted me

magistramarla
09-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm familiar with those weird sensations, too. I have numb toes, with feet that feel freezing cold and like they are burning at the same time. I freaked out the neurologists because I don't feel vibration in my feet or legs at all. I also feel those "jolts", but for me, I think that they feel more like muscle spasms. It's really funny when one happens in my leg while one of the cats is on my lap!

My rheumy noticed the foot drop, and that was why she sent me to the neuro. My foot drop is on the right side, and that foot is more numb than the left. I'm also right-handed. Despite all of this, his tests showed no MS and he says that I don't have peripheral neuropathy.
In my own research, I've found that Small Fiber Neuropathy (SFN) can cause a lot of these symptoms and seems to be fairly common in Sjogren's. The battle is getting the docs to believe this research!
Hugs,
Marla

jmail
09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
tgal, are most of your symptoms in the legs, arms, or both? Something as "simple" as disk displacement can do similar to a person. If you get a "consistant" zot of electricity, or muscle spasm in the same place, it could be a myriad of things with your back. I've got damage to my cervical and lumbar areas both, which complicates things. (I was an idiot when I was younger... now I'm just slightly less so.) "Spondylosis" and "degenerative disc disease" are just a couple of the medical terms I've become all too familiar with, though you appear to be way too young to be affected by them just yet...

Nonna
09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
jmail
I'm old enough, but my xrays say it's arthritis in my neck. Life can be so complicated. Why is nothing ever simple??

tgal
09-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi jmail. I WISH those were my only symptoms! LOL This thread was simply about that but I have everything from rashes to seizures. Most of the zapping things are in my arms and legs but I also get it in my chest and on my face. I will keep in mind about the back. I have a friend that is trying to get me to go to a chiropractor but so far I haven't attempted that.

I did have my appointment with a new neuro today. This one specializes in in MS and autoimmune diseases. They took blood and they are scheduling me for a Lumbar Puncture. They hope to do it next week and I must admit that I am not looking forward to it but maybe it gets me one step closer to an answer

jmail
09-16-2010, 07:26 PM
My wife does Lyrica for fibromyalgia, and that seems to have calmed her neuro symptoms down, and she's able to function. I'm a wimp when it comes to Lyrica though, 'cause I asked my doc to try it, and it made me feel *really* wierd all over, and all I wanted to do was fall asleep - which wouldn't be a bad thing most times, except when trying to work, and the fact that I *didn't* sleep, only started to, again and again and again...