PDA

View Full Version : Is Earle headed your way?

magistramarla
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I was just watching the projected track of Earle and got to thinking about my friends out there on the East Coast.
Are there a few of you who live close enough to the ocean to be evacuated or dealing with damages?

Rob, I know that you live near the coast. Do you have the boat safely stowed and are you ready for it? The latest projection is showing it going right up the Maine coast. Are you and your family OK?

Hugs,
Marla

red246
09-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Marla -

We are supposed to get some rain & wind here in Jersey. Not too worried about it at the moment as it seems to be weakening some and is not actually supposed to come "on land" here. Looks as though up north, by Rob, is a different story entirely! Batten down the hatches!

SandyR
09-02-2010, 01:15 PM
We're supposed to get a lot of rain - which means tree and road damage - and are currently in a tropical storm warning on Long Island. They are saying it'll hit land on Cape Cod too. The ocean here has been rip tides all week and then some. Great big pressure and humidity in the air right now - tomorrow is going to be bad. Then it's supposed to be clear skies and nice weather the rest of the holiday.

pandagirl
09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Yes for me Marla...I live in northern NJ...but have a "summer" house(30 year vacation/mortgage) as I call, it at the Jersy shore. About 10 minutes from the beach. These hurricanes and Nor'easters ALWAYS hit us. It stinks. The past few years the winds seem to be extremely damaging. More than I ever remember, and I have been here all my life. The beaches are red flagged right now,,,,no swimming. My daughter went today, she said the waves were crazy violent. Send some sunshine our way...

rob
09-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I was just watching the projected track of Earle and got to thinking about my friends out there on the East Coast.
Are there a few of you who live close enough to the ocean to be evacuated or dealing with damages?

Rob, I know that you live near the coast. Do you have the boat safely stowed and are you ready for it? The latest projection is showing it going right up the Maine coast. Are you and your family OK?

Hugs,
Marla

The tracking on the NOAA website shows the storm going almost direcly over my area tomorrow in the late afternoon. I'm on a small peninsula and right on the ocean. The boat will stay moored in the harbor, and we've secured everything on it topside. It will get bounced around a bit, but it's safer in the water than on the trailer where wind could blow the whole rig over trailer and all. I have all the necessary emergency items on hand already, so I'm prepared, and I have a generator in case the power is off for an extended period.

The rest of the family and Karen live further inland by a few miles, and all are prepared. There is talk of evacuating the islands of Campobello, Grand Manaan, and Isle a Haut which are not far from here, and the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island look like they are going to get hammered as well. It's going to be interesting for sure. Gotta just batten down the hatches, and ride it out.

Rob

rob
09-03-2010, 05:34 AM
I just drove out to a point where you can get a better view of the open ocean out past the harbor. You'd never know a storm is coming as it's sunny and a very nice 55 degrees. Not a cloud in the sky and the water is smooth as glass. There's no shipping traffic other than a Coast Guard cutter though, and all the usual lobster and fishing boats that should be out doing their thing are moored in the harbor. NOAA is saying the winds have weakened a bit, which is good. It's wait and see at this point.

Rob

SandyR
09-03-2010, 07:15 AM
It's nice outside here at the moment too. Cool. Calm. Too calm really. The sky is bright but cloudy. On the way to work there were a couple of drops of drizzle but the real rain won't be here for a few hours. I think it's going be a bad storm here - all my joints are vibrating with pain right now and were incredibly stiff this morning. I'm not that far from pandagirl and we will get similar damage. This area is a barrier island and storms like these always hit us hard.

magistramarla
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Be careful, all of you.
Get home safely and curl up for the night and don't get out unless you have to!
Report back to us when it's all over.
Hugs,
Marla

pandagirl
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Still okay here in Jersey....going down to Toms River tonite, hope we escape it in south Jersey as well. I hope
Rob is okay..it is heading up that way.

magistramarla
09-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Heather told me that they are only expecting some rain in NYC tonight.
We just read that Earl has been downgraded quite a bit, so hopefully it wasn't too bad by the time it reached Rob.
I hope that all of you can have a fairly calm night out there on the East Coast.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
09-04-2010, 10:20 AM
There wasn't a drop of rain, or a cloud in the sky all night, and today is a perfect September day. Goodbye Earl!

Saysusie
09-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Rob, I am so glad that you have not been affected so far and that Karen and your family are safe. TG that the storm has been downgraded.

Sandy and Red..I am also very glad that the storm did not reach you and that you are safe :-)

Take Care All Of You

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
09-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm so glad that Earl fizzled out. It can be considered a practice run, huh?
The scary thing is that I read on CNN that some folks on the East Coast were saying that they were mad that they had spent money and time boarding up, etc.
They were saying that the next time, they would just buy chips and beer and would never again trust the weather forecasters. That's a bad attitude.
The weather service is doing the best that they can with an imperfect science and unpredictable storms. The next one could be bad, who knows?
I'm just so glad that none of you are spending this weekend cleaning up!
Hugs,
Marla

rob
09-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm so glad that Earl fizzled out. It can be considered a practice run, huh?
The scary thing is that I read on CNN that some folks on the East Coast were saying that they were mad that they had spent money and time boarding up, etc.
They were saying that the next time, they would just buy chips and beer and would never again trust the weather forecasters. That's a bad attitude.
The weather service is doing the best that they can with an imperfect science and unpredictable storms. The next one could be bad, who knows?
I'm just so glad that none of you are spending this weekend cleaning up!
Hugs,
Marla

It turns out we did have a couple of hours of heavy rain last night, but I slept right through it. I have to laugh at the people whining about spending time and money boarding up. The plywood I use cost less than $100, and takes me less than an hour to put in place over the windows, and I have a fairly large house. I keep the plywood in the garage and re-use it anytime there's a Noreaster or hurricane. It's cheap insurance. If you are being shot at by someone with bad aim you still need to duck!

Rob

SandyR
09-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Rob, I am so glad that you have not been affected so far and that Karen and your family are safe. TG that the storm has been downgraded.

Sandy and Red..I am also very glad that the storm did not reach you and that you are safe :-)

Take Care All Of You

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Thanks Saysusie! I am glad too.

Marla - we usually get one or two bad storms a year so we get lots of practice. Nice that this one was only practice. ;) Those same people would have been complaining for days about downed trees and power outages and beach erossion and other such perils of the normal storms we get. Some people like to complain just to hear how it sounds. SMH.

Sandy