View Full Version : pesticide spraying
09-02-2010, 05:42 AM
hi everyone i am having the place sprayed for pests due to warmer weather coming and i was wondering if anyone can tell me will this have any affect on my lupus will i have reaction due to the pesticide i am worried as i am already in flare if anyone could give me a answer i would be very greatful hugs kim l
09-02-2010, 06:01 AM
I can't say, if it would influence the lupus, but I also have asthma and when they spay for mosquitos , I have a hard time breathing.
But I can imagine, that pesticides are not the best thing for our AI issues.
This is really an unknown. In my opinion, various chemicals, including pesticides, could very well be a trigger for people with autoimmune disorders, but that's just my opinion based on some educated guesses on my part, and not on any real evidence that can be verified. I guess you have to ask yourself what kind of harm insects and pests could cause if you didn't spray. I don't spray my house here in Maine, as we have no poisonous insects. However, back In Arizona, I had the house sprayed regularly because of the poisonous critters like Black Widows, Brown Recluse Spiders, and Scorpions. The real consequences of being bitten/stung outweighed the possible, and unproven possible effects of the pesticide.
09-02-2010, 07:20 AM
rob we do have some nasty spiders here in australia and i think i need to spray as precaution but i am just recovering from nasty chest infection and my lungs have been affected and i am on 4th lot of antibiotics i think i will just have to stay away for awhile until fumes settle down thankyou for replying nice to talk to you have missed our chats will talk again soon hope you are doing okay have a good day hugs kim l
09-02-2010, 01:19 PM
with the chest infection you might want to try to go out the day they spray and give your lungs a little break from it. I know with my Sarc I can't mess with chemicals and my lungs. Especially when I am already sick. Glad to see that you are beginning to feel better though.
09-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I think even people who are healthy are sometimes affected by any chemicals and we having immune systems that are not working right would be at risk. I agree that if you can you should leave for the day and air the house out good. I am glad that you are feeling better and hope that you continue to improve. Bonita
09-03-2010, 10:23 AM
We had to have our place in Texas sprayed every quarter for the nasty creepy-crawlys there. I love it that I just don't see bugs here on the coast, other than a few ants. (And they aren't those horrible red ants that we had in Texas!) Don't forget to pick up pet food and water before they spray. I also had to keep the pets out of their way. Casper is such a friendly cat, he would try to follow the exterminator around the house.
It is a good idea to open a few windows and leave for a bit after he is done.
I'm glad that you're feeling better. Be careful to not do something to make you feel bad again.
09-03-2010, 06:35 PM
hi everyone had placed sprayed and have had to use my asthma inhaler a few times feeling quite nauseas today on top of that having stomach problems and my joints are swollen but such is life i am getting used to it now and i will just have deal with it. we did have to get our pets out of the way so we took the dogs to the groomers and the cat stayed away because she does not like strangers thanks for all your comments hugs kim l
09-06-2010, 09:56 PM
I try to time my spraying with a time when I'm not home for a few days. My in-laws live down the road from us, or we'll go to my mom & dad for a few days, but if we stay in the house, or come back in too soon, I react, and so does our youngest boy.
09-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Next time maybe you can just spray the exterior, underneath and the attic of the house. Then stay away for a while. I do not allow the power company to spray the power lines near my home. They use chemicals similar to Roundup but I have reactions to some chemicals so better to limit exposure to them.