PDA

View Full Version : My son came for a visit - now I'm wiped

magistramarla
08-23-2010, 09:02 PM
My son Tom came to spend the weekend with us. He is on a business trip to San Diego and Los Angeles and his stay got extended so that he can attend a big meeting on Aug. 30. He hopped a flight to San Jose on Friday and we picked him up.
We had so much fun showing him around the Bay and eating out most of the weekend! Of course, Mom had to make one home-cooked meal for him, too!
I forgot to take my meds yesterday morning, and by the time we drove him back to the airport, I was regretting that. I take Prilosec every morning, and without it, I had a very upset tummy last night. I skipped my MTX, slept in this morning, took my meds and ate bland food most of the day.
When the sour stomach went away this afternoon, it was replaced with a bad headache. I'm finally feeling better this evening.
I really hate it that every time I have a great time, I have to pay for it by feeling bad!
Hugs,
Marla

Linda From Australia
08-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, but I bet it was worth it though Marla!

Nonna
08-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Seeing him was worth it, but just try to remember the meds. I always pay for forgetfulness at those times also. I try to connect the meds to meals. That way I don't forget them

nonna

Saysusie
08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Marla;
I am so glad that you had a wonderful visit with your son. I am sorry that you are paying for it now. When we forget our meds, our bodies are quick to remind us and to punish us!!
I know what you mean by paying for a good time. We just returned from another wonderful vacation in Yosemite. I did well during the vacation, but have been in a flare up since we've been home :-(
I, too, take Prilosec every morning and if I don't, OMG!! However, I never contributed my headache to the missed dose. That is very interesting!
I hope that you feel better soon so that your memories of your son's visit aren't tainted by your illness afterwards. Take care and I am sending you hugs of understanding!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

mountaindreamer
08-24-2010, 02:45 PM
hi marla,

yes, it is a shame that we pay such a high price for our choices. I know you had a wonderful time, and i hope you feel better really soon.

Linda From Australia
08-25-2010, 03:36 AM
How are you feeling today Marla?

SandyR
08-25-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm so glad to hear your son was able to work out a visit. You've been very busy with family visits - what a wonderful thing to have family that is so tight knit like yours. I know what you mean about playing and then paying and I think it's the pits too. I hope you are feeling better today.

magistramarla
08-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm recovered - thanks for the concern. I didn't pace myself, since Tom had so little time to spend with us.
I'm pretty proud of him - the Director of Software Implementation for his company - a business executive at the age of 28. When it comes to the company computers, Tom is known as "Wonder Boy" throughout the company. That's why the client out here in Ca insisted that he stay out here to attend their big board meeting so that he can explain what is going on with the computers. He is his father's son - both computer wizards.
Sandy, we are a pretty tight-knit family. I think that it comes from being a military family. When you move around quite a bit, the kids learn to depend on each other and on Mom & Dad. We're all getting together at Hillary's new house at Christmas. It should be quite a gathering - 5 kids, 3 grandkids and various in-laws (even an out-law - Hillary's ex-husband is David's Dad and is still very close - still calls me Mom).
The next visit, however, will be with Heather. Cal Tech flies her to Pasadena every quarter because she is on their alumni board. She'll be in on Sept. 24, which is Jeff's B-day, so we'll drive down there to join her. The three of us will have fun in LA together when she is not busy in meetings.
Life is full. I have to get through The New Spouse Welcome next week, which I'm in charge of. I'm also helping to plan The Navy Ball. It will be on Oct. 16, just a week before our 34th wedding anniversary, so I'm planning a VERY romantic night out.
I may be sick at times, but I don't let it slow me down too much.
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
08-28-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't know you do it, Marla, with your health issues. Do you have a Wonder Woman cape stashed in your closet?

magistramarla
08-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I just like to stay busy and stay involved in life. I've found that if there is something that I simply MUST do, I manage to ignore the pain and I get it done. I sometimes pay for it later, but at least I did what I set out to do.
I've always been that way - stubborn, I guess.
Hugs,
Marla

kim,l
08-29-2010, 05:51 AM
hi marla my mum visited about a month ago and we did a lot sight seeing and shopping and i know what you mean it can totally wipe you out i made the mistake of not taking my mexotrexate one day because it causes me to be ill and i didnot want to spoil everyones day but i regretted it later because of how my body reacted sometimes we just want to feel normal only if it just for a day be well my friend and i am glad you had a good time with your son. hugs kim l