PDA

View Full Version : Quinacrine (anyone else?)

Serenity81
08-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Rheumy just added this to my regimen today. He said that it should help the fatigue and should help to facilitate the Plaquenil, too.. Apparently, they work well together when one hasn't responded fantastically to Plaquenil alone.

We're also checking all the lupus panels again, Vit D.. and I'm gonna have my PCP check adrenal function and going to get pulmonary function tests done next week. AND going to my OB tomorrow (yay for yearly exams)..

Anywho... does anyone else have any experience with quinacrine?? Expectations on side effects & stuff? I couldn't find it in any of my drug guides.. and the only thing I found online was from 2002, it'd been archived and tagged as "possibly outdated information"..

Shantelle
08-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi there

This might prove helpful reading: http://www.hopkinslupus.org/lupus-treatment/lupus-medications/antimalarial-drugs/

Quinacrine is another antimalarial; other names for this med are Atabrine or Mepacrine. Quinacrine has the best effect to combat fatigue out of all antimalarials (Read in the D J Wallace 'The Lupus book').

I haven't used Quinacrine myself, but I hope this info helps...

Best, Shantelle

Serenity81
08-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Shantelle, thanks! Now that I know it's in the same drug class, I have a better idea of what to expect... I found it kind of odd that I couldn't find it in any of my drug guide books from school... but perhaps it's because it's not manufactured commercially any longer.

I'm still curious to hear from anyone else that might be actually taking this currently. =)

Angel Oliver
08-19-2010, 03:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinacrine

I wrote Quinacrine for lupus and a few up to date write ups are on there.The above link is just explaining what its for.I read up on a few sites wasnt sure whether to post em here.Have another look.Even if you type in Quinacarine/Plaquenil they should come up for you to read.xxxxx

Serenity81
08-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks darlin! I hadn't thought about adding Plaquenil to the search criteria, but it makes sense as everything I've read seems to indicate that it's really only prescribed with it..

Serenity81
09-06-2010, 05:49 PM
**Update**

This stuff is amazing!!!! Oh my gosh... last Thursday (only 1 week after starting) I felt AWESOME. I mean, not 100%, but a significant improvement. I did like 5-6 loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen / dining room / living room / bathroom, did a bunch of homework, took out the trash & recycling... I was amazed. Since then, I haven't had AS good of a day again, but pretty good overall. I'm napping less and less and I don't feel completely horrible when I wake up in the morning. I am very pleased with this, for obvious reasons & I so hope that it just gets better. =)

Angel Oliver
09-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh wow thats such good news yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.May it continue but dont overdo it.
love
Amanda.xxxx

Serenity81
09-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Amanda, for sure!! =) It's so funny because my energy is finally coming back, so I've started walking more, I really need to rebuild my stamina and try to get some of this extra weight from the steroids off! So, I'll sit here in the middle of the day, after class or something and try to figure out what to do... and then it dawned on me, I'm usually napping! But the desire to nap is becoming less and less (thank God). I'm noticing I'm not getting tired and ready for bed at 6-7pm anymore... LOL. It's been doing wonders for my homework.

Angel Oliver
09-13-2010, 04:05 AM
Oh im so happy for you.yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay:)

love n hugs.xxxxx

debbie-b
09-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Oh wow, that is amazing. I am very happy for you.
I will also ask my rheumy, if this would be an option for me.

Debbie

Serenity81
09-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Debbie, thank you, it's pretty amazing. I mean, I'm feeling super sleepy and stuff today, but I think it's more the weather changing her in MI. It is apparently a medication that's not quite popular anymore, but the rheumy said it's still used quite a bit in autoimmune disorders. Perhaps there's more medical research out there that I don't have access to at home, gotta head into the library at school to dig deeper.

scubagramplit
09-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Serenity, glad to hear that the quinacrine is working out for you. I was on it for about a year, My rheumy took me back off it a couple of weeks ago. That and the plaquenil just never seem to have done any thing for me anyway. As I am sure you know by now that you have to go to a compounding pharmacy to get it. Hope you continue to have good luck with it. Jim.